Who said AI generated music can't be inspired?

Jason Scott

Fractal Fanatic
In a previous thread, there were a mix of opinions about AI generated music. I know some people feel AI generated music lacks the human element. I mean, I get it to a degree, but come on.... tell me this isn't inspired and that you'd be able to tell it was AI generated if you didn't know better:

Last edited:
I will tell you that this is a cliché composition. Whether it’s by AI or humans. Any of us here can put together a piece with an arpeggio and varying bass notes underneath.

I will tell you that this is a cliché composition. Whether it’s by AI or humans. Any of us here can put together a piece with an arpeggio and varying bass notes underneath.
True enough… But it is an impressive start.

Will we see Miles Davis like improv… Maybe?

With respect to this song, I honestly couldn't disagree more. Show me all of the compositions you're referring to. I constantly scour Spotify, and the last time I favorited anything was about 2 weeks ago. For my taste, the state of music is abysmal right now, and this was right up my alley. It's not about whether you can piece together an arpeggio with varying bass notes. Virtually anyone can do that. It's about whether it inspires/moves you.

Last edited:
Well, I could take you all the way back to the 70s: Alan Parsons.

But makes no sense discussing about music taste or ‘prove’ something.

Also, ‘Impressive’ has never been my benchmark for making music. I like something or not, or it moves me in whatever way (happy, sad, etc).

Well, I could take you all the way back to the 70s: Alan Parsons.
Okay, I'm talking about new music. I have a music collection a mile long, and while I love classics like More Than A Feeling by Boston, I've heard them all a million times. Where are all the great new compositions? I'm all ears.

But makes no sense discussing about music taste or ‘prove’ something.
Who said anything about proving something? And since when has it been pointless to discuss musical preferences?

I haven’t said anything about new compositions. I said that it’s a cliché piece. Because it has be done so many times and is the most simple way to compose a piece. I find it totally uninspiring. But that’s totally subjective. If it works for you: perfectly fine.

I haven’t said anything about new compositions. I said that it’s a cliché piece. Because it has be done so many times and is the most simple way to compose a piece. I find it totally uninspiring. But that’s totally subjective. If it works for you: perfectly fine.
You specifically said "Any of us here can put together a piece with an arpeggio and varying bass notes underneath" and I said it's not about whether you can piece together an arpeggio with varying bass notes. To me, it's entirely about whether it inspires you. If what I posted doesn't inspire you, that's fine, but there's a difference between being able to piece together an arpeggio with varying bass notes and doing so in a way that's moves the listener. Like I said, what I posted didn't move you, and I'm perfectly fine with that. We can agree to disagree on whether it's inspired, of course.

Ahum, didn’t mean it personally. You act as if you wrote the piece. That’s not what I understood from your first post. It’s AI-generated, not?

Ahum, didn’t mean it personally. You act as if you wrote the piece. That’s not what I understood from your first post. It’s AI-generated, not?
Not taken personally at all. I was suggesting that if it's a simple arpeggio with varying bass notes underneath that would be easy for anybody here to create... Show me all of the examples, because again, for my taste, I rarely run into them, but that's just me. And yes, it's undoubtedly AI generated, as mentioned in the OP. As far as you not being moved by it, I'm perfectly fine with that. To each their own, of course.

Reactions: yek
AI genegation is good surprise for dilletants in music. Now no need a long practice, just click a button and begin to sound. Some developers say that in future might be applied a model based on cash deductions to musicians whos music is well rated (used frequentlier in other words) for AI generation, and if it model would be applied, there appears a problem for non top level musicians to promote their creations. Will hope i m wrong here..

In a previous thread, there were a mix of opinions about AI generated music. I know some people feel AI generated music lacks the human element. I mean, I get it to a degree, but come on.... tell me this isn't inspired and that you'd be able to tell it was AI generated if you didn't know better:

I would not know it was AI generated. I don't find it particularly inspiring, but it's not repulsive. A bit on par with the loops that are commonly available on media website to be used as background music for videos. What surprises me most is the quality of the sounds, including the guitar.

I don't see how it can be accused of cliche, as there are just a handful of ways to suggest the harmony, so you can call anything "cliche" really.

Just like with the AI going on in photography, it may keep its own kinda vibe for a while though, which you may like or not.

I might be the type that on one hand is not that open to it, but has generally been pleasantly surprised by it anyway. The average AI music may well be better than your average radio music already in many aspects? (which makes sense to me)

I think I would like it if I wanted to do solo gigs playing melodies over ready-made AI pieces I like.

OTOH, I wish there would be a mandatory division between purists and all the rest. So if one day I only want to listen to old style purists, I can be guaranteed that. Another problem here is that some of those purists will not be honest and may select some help from AI where it really saves them time or brought a cool idea. We are seeing that in Photoshop, where the AI help can be so great that it's impossible to stay 100% purist.

tell me this isn't inspired
Inspired or inspiring?
It's actually quite good for my tastes if it'd be a part of some melancholic YouTube rainy day video. Wouldn't know it's generated.
Not inspiring though, but very good still.

When I was talking about human element in the previous thread, I was specifically referring to some thing nobody knows how to properly explain, which makes some people make every music they touch pure gold. It's not technique necessarily, not mood, not vibe or what have you. It's something they hear and translate through their playing.
I'm sure ai will be able to mimic some of this magic once it learns enough music composed and played by geniuses. Like dynamics, groove, phrasing, basic or even more advanced composition techniques.

It will still have no idea how to make a magic out of tune it never heard before - a person would be needed to curate it. A person like you, capable of separating good from bad. That's the difference I'm referring to.

Back
Top Bottom