Who Is On Your Mt. Rushmore Of Guitar Players?

Is that that old guy with the wife whose tits are all over the Interent since the pandemic?? ;)
I will admit, the "Toya & Roberts Sunday Brunch" is not his best work! I do however love the fact that he is playfull enough to engage in such activity!! Lot's of laughs for me anyway, especially considering his downplayed image over the years!!!

Didn t see George Harrison in this list.. But he wrote some of the best songs ever.. So difficult to say who is the best.. Technique seems always be highrated than songwriting..
Not really about the "best". I took it to mean more our personal favs\heros\guitar players we admire and learned from.

Not really about the "best". I took it to mean more our personal favs\heros\guitar players we admire and learned from.
Yeah, probably what most of us did. But I figure if we all took the "Mt. Rushmore" part more seriously, there'd be fewer different players to make the lists, and we'd see many more names repeated. But where's the fun in that? ;)

Yeah, probably what most of us did. But I figure if we all took the "Mt. Rushmore" part more seriously, there'd be fewer different players to make the lists, and we'd see many more names repeated. But where's the fun in that? ;)

Yup. We could do a "consensus" Mt. Rushmore and all make a solid guess as
to who those 4 might be. :)

Historically Speaking:
  1. Robert Johnson
  2. Django Reinhardt
  3. Wes Montgomery
  4. Les Paul
Who had an early impact and made want to figure out this 6 string contraption:
  1. John McLaughlin (especially 70’s Mahavishnu)
  2. Santana
  3. Steve Howe
  4. Robert Fripp (seriously)
Continued to impact me after becoming a half decent player:
  1. Eric Johnson
  2. Allan Holdsworth
  3. Jimi Hendrix
  4. David Gilmour
Speaking of Michael Hedges…got to see him open for Chick Corea’s Electric Band back in the early 90’s. I went free with a bunch of Yamaha Keyboard Reps. who were all about Chick (as was I) but I had already been a fan of Hedges and kept telling them that they will be blown away by this guy. Hedges came out and did a decent long set and blew everyone away. He did this super cool version of the Stone’s Gimme Shelter and danced and played all through the audience and went up to the balcony and back to the stage. He was phenomenal. He belongs in the above list, but since he was already mentioned I will just relay this story. Honestly there are so many greats I’m not sure if there’s a mountain big enough.

Edit:
Had to come back and change one. How I forgot David Gilmour I don’t know. He probably should go in the middle list. Ah crap, it’s just too hard.

Last edited:
Whats really hard about this is I dont know whether to pick the ones that influenced me to start playing guitar or the ones I would say most influenced my style of playing and writing.

Matt Walsh Thinking GIF by The Paley Center for Media

EDIT:
On looking back I see people are doing both, so here goes.

Picking it up:
Billy Corgan.
James Hetfield.
Slash.
Some guy playing at a craft fair I went to as a kid.

Playing style:
James Hetfield.
Stephen Carpenter.
Adam D/Joel Stroetzel.
John Frusciante.

Last edited:
My version of the 4 most revolutionary guitarists who changed the way in which guitar was played, performed, and recorded.

Chronologically:

1) Robert Johnson
2) Les Paul
3) Jimi Hendrix
4) Eddie Van Halen

My version of the 4 most revolutionary guitarists who changed the way in which guitar was played, performed, and recorded.

Chronologically:

1) Robert Johnson
2) Les Paul
3) Jimi Hendrix
4) Eddie Van Halen
Yes, while I was in a different music headspace when EVH was hitting big he definitely belongs on any list for every good reason.

Chronologically:

1) Robert Johnson
2) Les Paul
3) Jimi Hendrix
4) Eddie Van Halen

I think a lot of people forget, or were never aware of how important Ampex and Les Paul were to the music world when they developed multitrack recording.

Back
Top Bottom