Who Is On Your Mt. Rushmore Of Guitar Players?

Can we have an elimination round in the form of a poll? I have a feeling Gilmour will make it to the final round.

Alex Lifeson
Jimmy Page
David Gilmour
... but then I stop to think about this a bit. The dudes on Mt. Rushmore changed the world - did Jimmy Page do that? Led Zeppelin sure did, but Page himself?... maybe now we should re-frame this a little:

Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Les Paul

Now, if I were focusing on who influenced me, I'd go with the first couple and then I'd want to add some others if I had more space:
Jagori Tanna
Steve Howe
Trey Anastasiou
R. L. Burnside
Bob Mould

I could probably keep going too....

Great points. Was going less for historical accuracy (if that can be a thing) here and curious about
different people's personal perspectives and preferences.

I'd challenge you on Page not changing the world. His talent, skills, and vision as a producer were as
legendary and influential and those as a guitarist. It would also be hard to find someone as fluid and
diverse as his playing was in Zeppelin. Took balls to put out an entirely acoustic album when no one
else ever had before in the Rock genre. And to do it when they were ascending to new hieghts of
fame.

Also, Zeppelin were much like The Beatles in starting their own Record Label and gaining full creative
and financial control of their artisitic vision and legacy. Not sure there has been a more complete package
as a guitarist than Jimmy Page (apart from maybe Gilmour). :)

Strictly based on who influenced my playing most over the years...

1. James Hetfield/Dave Mustaine
2. Robert Smith
3. Devin Townsend
4. Adam Jones

I'd challenge you on Page not changing the world. His talent, skills, and vision as a producer were as
legendary and influential and those as a guitarist. It would also be hard to find someone as fluid and
diverse as his playing was in Zeppelin. Took balls to put out an entirely acoustic album when no one
else ever had before in the Rock genre. And to do it when they were ascending to new hieghts of
fame.

Also, Zeppelin were much like The Beatles in starting their own Record Label and gaining full creative
and financial control of their artisitic vision and legacy. Not sure there has been a more complete package
as a guitarist than Jimmy Page (apart from maybe Gilmour). :)
Can't argue with any of that :)

Back
Top Bottom