Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

The furthest I've gotten is taking the pictures to place my GSP1101/Control2 gear ad.

I'm shocked at myself even getting that far being the pack rat I am. I'll be keeping my Marshall Jube and Peavey JSX for those quick jams, when not running in ear/direct setup as usual.

My old preamps won't be going either, BUT the AXE has definitely "replaced all"...

I think most of us on here think a real tube amp sounds and feels better. But you are limited to just that amp. Fractal was the first thing out that made us tube guys say "It ain't tube but it's so close and the options and flexabity make the Axe Fx a real option".

For me I can customize as many amps as I want with the Axe Fx and have steller effects to boot. All with in 1 unit. I sold my Triaxis, Mesa 2:90, ISP Decimator, Dunlop wah, EB volume, and G Major. No regrets at all. I can get great cleans, mid gain, high gain...everything. My old rig was great....but couldn't do mid gain AT ALL.

Everything in life is a compromise.....the AXE FX is a real value and gets you within 95% range of a real tube sound and feel. The customization of tone is unriveled compared to 1 tube amp. The trade offs are worth it to me.

I just sold my old rig last week. I have been meaning to put all my old gear on Craigslist since I received my Axe-Fx II but every time I went down stairs to take pics, I ended up rockin out w/ my new rig. When I 1st took the Axe-Fx II out of the box and hooked it up thru the power amp of my old rig, I felt like I wasted a lot of money bc it didn't sound like a real amp. The manual that came in the box was very outdated, so I struggled a little bit. After about 2 weeks I knew it was a keeper and I bought the MFC-101 to complete my setup.

If you're not getting enough dynamics or pick attack like you would get from a real amp, check out my post about using the Gate as an expander before the amp block. Now I like the Axe-Fx II more than real amps bc I can get a consistent sound and never have to replace tubes or wait for the amp to warm up.

I am one who does not fall in to the "most of us" category. I have had too many tube amps that sounded like crap live. There is no "better". Too subjective.

I am one who does not fall in to the "most of us" category. I have had too many tube amps that sounded like crap live. There is no "better". Too subjective.

What I meant is any modeler is "trying" to recreate what a tube amp does naturally. So many factors go into recreating the tube sound....hard to get it all right.....but Cliff has come the closest thus far I believe. The Axe Fx does it better than most if not all. If I just wanted one awesome Marshall sound....hands down I would just have a Marshall amp and no Axe Fx. But I want a lot of sounds and tones.....one tube amp CAN NOT do this....so the tube amp becomes "limited" in what it can recreate.

I've sold my big name "boutique" heads and some effects partly for the Axe. I bought them used, so I really didn't lose much at all when I sold them. I found some of my tube heads just weren't getting used enough to warrant keeping them around.

I also built a couple tube heads after getting familiar with the topologies and similarities of certain amps I like. I wouldn't really sell those because they didn't cost as much in cash as they did my time.
The Axe FX just makes it really easy to record and do stuff I could never do before with effects, running stereo, mixing different amps, and it's easier at smaller clubs.

Although the look of a full stack on stage just can't be beat. It's damn sexy!

If I'm not running out of money I see no point really. I actually did that before and it didn't take long for me to start missing the real amps. Why does it have to be one way and not the other. Use both. :)

Well, I have been playing for 45 years, and I have had them all: Marshalls, Matchless, Fuchs, Fender, Carr, Bogner. Then I sold them all - well almost. I still kept a pair of Tech 21 Trademark 60's (amazing tone if you work 'em right - compressor and mild boost and EQ in front; good reverb/delay in the effects loop), a couple of Tech 21 PE-60's (powered 1x12 cabs), and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille, oh and a Tech 21 Bronzewood acoustic amp for my nylon strings.

One thing I have always hated about regular amps is that they are typically a one-trick pony (but it's usually a very good trick). Not enough tweakability though, and certainly not enough tonal range. I used to carry two racks, a Marshall 800 #2210, and two other preamps (Triaxis and Digitech 2101). The Digitech got me used to the idea of tweakable tones, great effects, and flexible routing. I feel right at home on the Axe FX II, except that I haven't sussed out all of the parameters, especially in the amp blocks.

I _did_ keep a Marshall 1960a just in case - I could always buy a head in a hurry if I needed one. Also, I have been wanting to try it with the Axe FX II, but I have limited access to power amps these days. Also, I would hate to give up the power amp modeling and the speaker modeling of the Axe FX II. Luckily I don't have to model the 1960a - I cheated and bought the Ownhammer IR that had a Marshall cab with GT75's through a SM57. Sounds good!

I will need to pickup some other FRFR's someday. For the moment, I am very happy with the two Tech 21 PE-60's.

Pete

plyall said:
Well, I have been playing for 45 years, and I have had them all: Marshalls, Matchless, Fuchs, Fender, Carr, Bogner. Then I sold them all - well almost. I still kept a pair of Tech 21 Trademark 60's (amazing tone if you work 'em right - compressor and mild boost and EQ in front; good reverb/delay in the effects loop), a couple of Tech 21 PE-60's (powered 1x12 cabs), and a Fender Hot Rod DeVille, oh and a Tech 21 Bronzewood acoustic amp for my nylon strings.

One thing I have always hated about regular amps is that they are typically a one-trick pony (but it's usually a very good trick). Not enough tweakability though, and certainly not enough tonal range. I used to carry two racks, a Marshall 800 #2210, and two other preamps (Triaxis and Digitech 2101). The Digitech got me used to the idea of tweakable tones, great effects, and flexible routing. I feel right at home on the Axe FX II, except that I haven't sussed out all of the parameters, especially in the amp blocks.

I _did_ keep a Marshall 1960a just in case - I could always buy a head in a hurry if I needed one. Also, I have been wanting to try it with the Axe FX II, but I have limited access to power amps these days. Also, I would hate to give up the power amp modeling and the speaker modeling of the Axe FX II. Luckily I don't have to model the 1960a - I cheated and bought the Ownhammer IR that had a Marshall cab with GT75's through a SM57. Sounds good!

I will need to pickup some other FRFR's someday. For the moment, I am very happy with the two Tech 21 PE-60's.

Pete

That's great, I have a Trademark 60 and 2 PE-60's as well and they made the cut for me too! I agree, if you put a carbon copy in the effects loop, that Trademark is a force to be reckoned with! I used my PEs with the Axe at first, but quickly moved to QSC mains. Now I'm going to Matrix amp and cabs 'till they release their new FRFR monitors.

Just found it funny that with all the amps I sold, I kept the trademark, and it seems you did too!

I still kept one Marshall but I have gotten rid of alot of gear

The fact that I walked to a jam space the other day with a guitar and the II just made me smile :)
gone are the days of hauling gear

If I'm not running out of money I see no point really. I actually did that before and it didn't take long for me to start missing the real amps. Why does it have to be one way and not the other. Use both. :)

Exactly. A time and place for everything.

Sold everything except one head, cab, mic, and three pedals: compressor, drive, drive. This is my backup in case I'm ever in axe-ageddon without an axe-fx. Ironically, I could sell those and have almost enough for another axe-fx II, or at least an Ultra. Now that I just wrote that, that makes a lot of sense!

The amazing thing about this forum is I was axe-less once for a couple months, and after a few weeks two forum members offered their axe-fx's to tide me over (or maybe just to stop my whining - LOL). I will always be blown away by that and forever thankful for their generosity.

Me :). I run an FXII into two QSC K12s and one Behringer monitor. Control is through a Behringer FCB1010 with the Unochip. Perfect live rig gets me through 4 gigs a month. I play 90's rock cover and have a preset for each song (about 50). FCB1010 has preset pedals on top row with stomp on bottom row.

What I sold? Boss GT-10 that I used for 3 years gigging. Fender Frontman 212. Tech21 PowerEngine 60. Line6 Spider IV. Mics that I used to mic up my amps.

Love the FXII setup - set up and tear down is fast so I can get to the after-party :) Awesome gig machine!

Sold a Bradshaw Rig for 7000$ for the Axe Fx 2.

I sold it all too. I think the amps in the Fractal Axe Fx-2 isnt so easy to dial in as on the Egnater ie4. Really have to work with cabs,ir eq etc to get that distortion class AAAAA sound. Hope Cliff can ad the Eggie to the amps.

I'm in the process of selling most of my stuff. I just got the waiting list email saying I can order my AxeFx II. But I still have a couple amps that I love dearly that I don't want to part with.

That's great, I have a Trademark 60 and 2 PE-60's as well and they made the cut for me too! I agree, if you put a carbon copy in the effects loop, that Trademark is a force to be reckoned with! I used my PEs with the Axe at first, but quickly moved to QSC mains. Now I'm going to Matrix amp and cabs 'till they release their new FRFR monitors.

Just found it funny that with all the amps I sold, I kept the trademark, and it seems you did too!

Tell me about your QSC mains, especially as they compare to the Tech 21 PE's. I _suspect_ that the PE's may be a bit darker than the PA speakers, but that's actually okay with me - not looking to icepick anybody in the ear (!). Also - why are you going with a power amp - are the QSC's not powered?

I still have 2 PE 60s as well as a bunch of tube amps. They did the trick for a while, but I knew there was better sound to be had. Now have RCF NX10's and I'm happy with my sound and not really looking around (though of course I'll be interested to hear opinions/clips on Matrix/Atomic vs RCF when they come out). That said, the PE 60s are great value for the $, particularly used which is how I got mine. They're light and open back which I like for the spread of the sound onstage. They're a little dark, but the eq onboard is pretty workable.

Some tube amps I'll keep. Others could go today except that I don't want to get financially beaten selling them and simply haven't taken the time it takes to deal with selling them. Soon though I'll be over on TGP putting up a bunch of amps, pedals and guitars. I have a lot of nice stuff, but other than a BF Princeton Reverb that is a fantastic grab and go amp (the guy at the store where I bought it was sad to see it go as he said it had sold a lot of guitars for him;-), and a Tone King Metropolitan which is an amazing 1-12" Fender BF into Tweed into low/mid gain Marshall amp that I've played out a couple of times in the past 3 years, none of it gets played now. I've been a gear junkie for a long time. I'm not going to sell them all when I do, but I'll sell a lot of nice amps/pedals and not think twice about it.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but I BOUGHT one thing after my II: the Boomerang III looper + Boomerang Sidecar. After I got my II, I realized that the looper was still lame. I waited for 6.0 and realized that it was still lame compared to what a purpose-built looper like the Rang (and some looping software, of course) can do.

So even though my amps and cabs are useless, my old delays, fuzzes, mutrons, choruses and flangers will all be sold eventually, my pedalboard is gonna be bgiiger than ever with an LF Pro+, a volume/wah (dunlop), 2 expression pedals, and the two pieces of the Rang.

Just when I thought things would be simpler...

Tell me about your QSC mains, especially as they compare to the Tech 21 PE's. I _suspect_ that the PE's may be a bit darker than the PA speakers, but that's actually okay with me - not looking to icepick anybody in the ear (!). Also - why are you going with a power amp - are the QSC's not powered?

One man's opinion on the QSC's: I like my Matrix/fEARFULL enclosure combo much better! I thought the QSC's could replace my mackie 450's, but actually liked the Mackie's more! Now, both are history. The matrix is a wonderful addition with any cab or FRFR IMHO. The fEARFULL is incredible (and incredibly light) icing on the cake.

Back
Top Bottom