Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

@luke. 30+ amps?? You're making me jealous, lol.
I bought an Axe-Fx II after swearing I'd never ever use that digital rubbish again after getting fed up with VSTs. I was going to go for perhaps a JVM head and a Palmer.
Was glad I didn't!!
Maybe in my case it isn't 'sold it all', but not having to 'buy it all.'
I've never had GAS either, but getting the Axe is like being immunised against it.

Still own a Mesa combo and a JMP-1 preamp with a power amp. No plans to sell. Use the Mesa for cleans.

Actually, the only reason I keep the Axe II is for high-gain sounds at home level, 80-85db.

I've never had GAS either, but getting the Axe is like being immunised against it.

I think when my Axe II arrives, my GAS will just be focused on other things:

- MFC-101
- Expression pedals
- A Power Amp
- A nice cab

And once all of the above has been bought and I have my full working rig, I think I will be GAS'ing for guitars (and lots of them). :D

I am in the process of selling almost all of my effects. I am keeping my PCM-70's (3), because, as of yet, there is a signature patch on them that is key to a lot of my patches, and I can't replicate it on the axe, and my brand new boomarang looper with sidecar, which, frankly, blows the axe looper away in features and user interface. I will keep my Twin for guests. My modded princeton (EVM 12L, master volume), will be sold eventually.

Of course, in so doing, I've also GAS'd up pretty well: Carvin power controller, Matrix 1000fx, and my fEARFULL FRFR speak (actually, now I want two for stereo, them being so damn light and all, but I am totally overextended right now).

I will probably buy two or three expression pedals, or at least one for wah/whammy. I currently use a dunlop volume/wah. I still may stick with it for volume, or may change to doing that via expression is it is smooth enough and zipperless.

I've gotten rid of or am in the process of getting rid of (in the for sale section): Eventide H-3000, Sansamp PSA-1, TC Elec. D-Two, dual Rat, Bug Muff, 3 Memory mans, assorted comps, phasers, flangers.

Never had an amp collection. I read about you guys with 30 amps and am in awe: seems to me that just keeping a couple working the way I like 'em was a lot of work. new tubes, caps, biasing etc. Not to mention the space they take up. The most I've ever had was 4 - three fenders and a princeton-sized Mesa.

The twin is still great for when guests come over, and since it's a cut down head and a custom cab, it's probably not even worth much. So it'll stay.

All the other amps I think I could ever want (Except a Rivera Venus 6 and Chubster) are in that little box with the FAS logo on the front!

I'm keeping everything. I've a lot of early vintage Marshall's/Vox's, Dumble, Trainwreck, Tweeds etc that took a LONG time to collect. Ditto pedals (Rangemaster, Tonebenders, Zonk, Fuzz Faces, numerous OD pedals, Clyde's etc etc).

I'm very new to FXII, but from what I get so far I'm massively impressed with the "utility" of it, but not yet sold on the tone/feel side of things. It'll take a few outings at "full throttle" to figure out whether it's for me or not.

I sold off my Mark IV and my 5150 II and at times I wish I hadn't.
I really can't get the type of sound out of this unit thru a power amp into my Recto cab that i was hoping for.
Thru FRFR (just my rokit KRK8's) it just kills .
I keep going back and forth between my Mesa 50/50 and my ART SLA2 and cannot get a sound I really love
this way for the life of me.
The ARt SLA2 sounds too sterile and flat (to my ears) and the MEsa adds this "boominess" that I have to EQ like crazy
to get rid of. If I turn off the power amp sims with the Mes it sounds like a transistor radio.
Maybe it's my choice of power amps but I've heard some great clips of the Axe and Art SLA2 used together, but it just ain't happening at my house.
I'm hoping the new CRL offerings from Matrix and Atocmic will cure this issue for me and FRFR will be "just what the doctor orderd"
if ot I will probably look for a mesa Studio preamp to go with my 50/50 and just use the Axe for recording but that would be a huge disappointment to me.

I'm keeping everything. I've a lot of early vintage Marshall's/Vox's, Dumble, Trainwreck, Tweeds etc that took a LONG time to collect. Ditto pedals (Rangemaster, Tonebenders, Zonk, Fuzz Faces, numerous OD pedals, Clyde's etc etc).

I'm very new to FXII, but from what I get so far I'm massively impressed with the "utility" of it, but not yet sold on the tone/feel side of things. It'll take a few outings at "full throttle" to figure out whether it's for me or not.

I am in the same fame of mind right now. I like all my tools, I have been getting rid of the excess pedals and amp, just keeping my go to's and my rare and vintage stuff.
I am working towards using my Axe2 and Kemper for more of my gigging and day to day, Such amazing advances in gear. I am on board with it all.
My amp will always be important to me as will the new tech.
Chris

I sold everything (65amps Empire, Strymon & Wampler pedals and Peterson tuner) and I have no regrets. In fact, selling everything paid for the AFII. Rig is lighter and setup is less than 2 minutes.

Still have my 6505+ from 2006. I've been having a hard time letting that thing go but it will eventually have to happen.

I hear "differently." Not better, not worse.
I am not a "tube snob."
Assign whatever reasons you want, doubt my words, invalidate them, etc. For me, I have trouble with any ADC/DAC in front of an amp, be it a tube or SS amp. With the Axe, there is (additionally) something with the front input that I can. not get past. I will not rehash that here. It does not work as an amp for me. It is not due to not understanding the technology, nor is it lack of time or effort. No big deal, as the effects are stellar, and worth the price. I think it is great that so many love it for the amps! I have heard many excellent recordings, and would have no problem whatsoever working a mix with some of the tracks I have heard. As an amp, it is simply not for me. I am still very happy :D Oh- and Axe-Edit is completely brilliant!!!

As Scott said.. you HAVE to try it yourself. There is absolutely NO WAY.. ZERO chance.. to form a valid opinion unless you actually try one yourself IMO.
I agree fully. I really tried to go full on digital but it just didn't sound right comapred to what I have in my red plate. I have tried a lot of frfr speakers EV, eventide, atomic(tube)and jbl. I do love the axe for effects it replaced my pedal board and sounds amazing! Also for recording the clips speak for them selves. A tube snob, I am not and I know how to tweak. I think I know how to get a good a sound and i have owned an ultra and axe2 for a few years so i know how they worke. I been a professional musician for over 20 years I just know what works for me, this may not work for you so if you're happy god bless that's all that matters

Last edited:
all gone

boutique handwired amops, nos tubes, bespoke pedals - the works

ave fx 2 gives me the best sound ive ever had

Sold my MkIII AND G-System to fund my purchase... Not once ounce of regret here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, i owned two JVMs and a 6100 Anniversary. After i recieved the Axe II i sold two of my Marshalls
At the moment i'm using a JVM only as poweramp for the Axe. So I'm considering to sell the JVM too, get a Fryette stereo power amp and keep everything in a nice rack ;) That's going to be my live-rig.
For recording i run the Axe straight into the computer/mixer.

Last edited:
I sold my Mesa Boogie rig and 22 pedals that Dave Friedman set up for me for the Axe Fx 2. It took 2 months to get it then 2 weeks ago I was one of the unfortunate ones to have the dreaded 6.0 bug on my system so I had to send it back and hopefully will be getting the new one soon. I love the Axe the convenience the sounds. It's like with any computer you hope it just keeps going.

I didn't sell my amp and pedal collection (yet). I have many of both. On the other hand, I hardly use them at all. I'll use a grab and go amp and small pedal board for some rehearsals, but I've only used an amp a couple of times at a gig during that time and immediately went back to the Axe. I hear Nikki's point about the attack/AD/DA giving a different sound than analog, but I can live with it. All the other advantages of the Axe II completely outweigh any "it's not exactly like" stuff. For me probably the biggest advantage is great sound and repeatability at whatever volume in whatever situation. I don't always get to set up my tube amps at the perfect volume for them to sound their best and I think the Axe sounds better than my tube rigs at 80-90%. Actually with the latest firmware, I'm getting in the zone of the best sounds I've ever had, even under ideal tube conditions.

One thing I found very instructive to temper expectations was Cliff's recent comments about trying to get full volume sounds quietly. The tests that showed as much as 10 db changes in a guitar's frequency response due to interact with amp sound back onto guitar confirms what I experience. The Axe sounds great recorded direct, but for the full flavor and feel of tube amp style interaction, I need to get my FRFR cranked up a bit, whether at home with studio monitors or with my RCFs live. They don't need to be crazy loud, but loud enough that I can feel the acoustic resonance of the speakers in my hands on the guitar.

I agree that some things like the POG2 and Boomerang aren't replicated in the Axe (yet), so it won't do everything I might want done, but for my live rig, I'm happy as can be with it. Only you can judge whether it does it for you.

For me probably the biggest advantage is great sound and repeatability at whatever volume in whatever situation. I don't always get to set up my tube amps at the perfect volume for them to sound their best and I think the Axe sounds better than my tube rigs at 80-90%. Actually with the latest firmware, I'm getting in the zone of the best sounds I've ever had, even under ideal tube conditions.

One thing I found very instructive to temper expectations was Cliff's recent comments about trying to get full volume sounds quietly. The tests that showed as much as 10 db changes in a guitar's frequency response due to interact with amp sound back onto guitar confirms what I experience. The Axe sounds great recorded direct, but for the full flavor and feel of tube amp style interaction, I need to get my FRFR cranked up a bit, whether at home with studio monitors or with my RCFs live. They don't need to be crazy loud, but loud enough that I can feel the acoustic resonance of the speakers in my hands on the guitar.

My experience exactly. the repeatabiity is something I've been enjoying with my Ultra since '07 or '08. never had a tube amp stay that consistent over time - power it up, bam: perfect Fender amp - and now the sounds on the II are even better! But played low, I find that my FRFR indeed doesn't cut it perfectly (and it's really really odd since a squealy, feedback-laden patch is still a squealy feedback laden patch that sounds like a Dumble on '12', albeit an oddly quiet one - like a power soak that really works). But when I give the throttle a goose, man oh man, I'm getting the best amp sounds ever, and it is that acoustic resonance, and the subtle loop between guitar and that speaker. So, playing low kinda sux. I can live with it, by playing loud, as long as my girlfriend and cat can stand it...

Kept my 64 Super Reverb just because, and have a little Roland Cube 30 and Carvin S300 2x12 combo in the music room so other players can play without messing with my Axe Fx. :) I still have a Recto 2x12 and 4x12 cabinet... just haven't sold them yet. All the other amps, including a great Road King II are history.

Right now, it's just the Axe II, MFC, and an Atomic cab live for me these days. Just love the sound and ease of setup. I still love the sound of a good amp, just don't want to carry them anymore! If I ever get a roadie... who knows? I'll have a huge rack of gear and cabinets, but just the Axe II will be actually connected. lol

I can't sell it all... I'm a guitar and gear hoarder LOL. Most of my amps and cabs are collectible old Marshalls that I've had for many moons and other amps that are just too cool to get rid of. One thing I've learned over the years is that unless I absolutely have to, I don't sell anything - I've almost always turned another corner after selling something and then find myself buying similar items back. When I first got my Ultra several years ago, I sold off a bunch of boutique along with some old 70's pedals thinking that the Ultra would do it all... mistake. I've bought most of them back at more than what I sold them for. There is just no substitute for some of the boutique and old late 60's and 70's noisy ass pedals - the noise is part of the vibe... Since I don't like dragging all my old non-replaceable stuff out anymore, the Axe nicely fills the live requirement. Also 90% of the clubs I play in these days barely have room for a single 4x12 nevermind my racked head and roadcased cabs.

So now I have an Axe II that is becoming my primary rig for local gigs and still have the Ultra as part of my Splawn setup for when those larger stage opportunities arise. I love using the Axe live - Axe II / Carvin single space amp / Marshall cab loaded with Tone Tubbies and WGS Reapers. Simple and menacing all at the same time :)

Attachments

• AxeIIRig.jpg
    AxeIIRig.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom