Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

Still use a tube amp for live. Can't really get in to the whole frfr sound and I still prefer my red plate open back combo. However i do like the amp sims for recording and practicing as well. Also the axe replaced my very large pedal board and is a very quick set up and breakdown on gigs and it sounds great Especialy with the two new drive boxes in tha last firmwear.

I never had it all to begin with. So, I guess technically I have more now than I did before. I still own a jet city 20w combo, which I purchased after the ultra but before the 2. I love the sound of it and I use it for learning tunes in my office when my axe rig is downstairs.

So what are the reasons YOU guys think most people who don't like the axe fx/can't get the tones they want live? What is PROBABLY the problem? Because this really is a big debate, no matter what anyone says...And when it comes down to it, that is my biggest concern, and my biggest issue for sure. If I can't get the tones I want live, i doubt I will be purchasing one...

I drank the digital kool-aid about 10 years ago. Frankly, I don't understand the argument at all. I've yet to meet, in 10 years, a person who actually put digital vs tube next to eachother and thought digital sucked. I've met a few that preferred the tube, but never once have they thought either rig was bad.

On the other hand, I've read a billion posts online how digital is terrible. Maybe I live in a world surrounded by people with terrible ears, but I doubt it. It's far more likely the tube snobs online are just close minded.

At this point the Axe FxII can do all the things that a tube amp can plus more.
Some people are obsessed with the idea of tube and they will never change their view,even if they are shown the proper capabilities of the Axe FxII.
I was going to get a massive tube rig,have played through tube amps and know that distinct tone and the Axe FxII can replicate and even make it's simulation sound better than the original thing.

It's like some people love a certain restaurant and will always go there,even if there is a better tasting restaurant that has opened up. In their heads their old restaurant will always be the best. Then there are people that could love that old restaurant but are open to trying the new place and they end up loving it more than the ever famous old restaurant. The second batch of people are the type of folks that are using the Axe FxII for everything.

So what are the reasons YOU guys think most people who don't like the axe fx/can't get the tones they want live? What is PROBABLY the problem? Because this really is a big debate, no matter what anyone says...And when it comes down to it, that is my biggest concern, and my biggest issue for sure. If I can't get the tones I want live, i doubt I will be purchasing one...

I get the tones I want live. The 'problem' some people have could be any number of factors; far too many to speculate.

There are a lot of factors why the debate rages; and nothing is absolute and depends on the perspective of the arguers. I'll toss this out - grab anybody's 'perfect rig' and hand it to somebody else... and they'll start tweaking the amp settings; given enough time with it, change the amp, change the speaker cab, change the effects, etc, etc.. One person's 'perfect' is not another person's 'perfect'. Or even 'good' for that matter.

If you can't get the tones you want, be it from an amp or an Axe-FX... then no, you should not be keep it.

But you won't know until you try it personally. That'll never change.

IMHO.

I had to sell mine to pay or it. I sold a Dr Z Maz 18 NR with eq bypass mod, and a Fender Blues Jr, and lots of pedals and 2 racks. I loved the Maz and still miss its sound. It is such a dynamic amp. You truly "play" it with how hard you handle strings. That being said, I will never go back. I haven't fully dove in to the Axe FX. I'm still playing with slightly modified presets and loving it.

I owned the Ultra then upgrade to a II and I never regreted it even with ultra. I have owned JCM 800, Peavey 5150, Peavey satriani model, JVM 410H and I dont miss them well actually still own the JCM 800 it collects dust i keep it and an Ibanez ts9 for backup just incase and also the JCM 800 I have is sentimental to me because It was my first tube amp and have lots a good memories with it. With the Axe I dont really GAS much except when the II came out had to have it but other than that I run it through an Art Sla2 into a 412 cab and I GAS a tiny bit for like a matrix amp to upgrade the power but to me it sounds great already why should I fuss and plus I go direct instead of having the house mic me and sounds way better than micing an amp particularly because most venues just use the crapy preamps in their mix boards. Thats the big advantage you can have a sound going direct that rivals big studio sound live! Remember when a new sound guy at a venue calls your Axe a POD be Polite dont get offended they soon realize its nothing like a Line 6 crap once your start playing LOL.

I've sold almost everything, I just still have 2 or 3 pedals, but if if I'll find somebody interested, I'll sell them as well, since I don't use them.
I'm a pro musician (for me it just means that I'm getting paid to pay, not that I'm better than an amateur) and my personal opinion is that we live in a bad period to make a living with this job. On the other hand, though, we have tools that simply didn't exist many years ago. If we use our initiative, and be smart, we can find other ways to work as a musician. One of them is to cut all ancillary costs in the production, and the AxeFx for me was a perfect solution.

Sold my tube amps and analog effects/pedals (ok, had about 10-15, kept only one of my vintage which is in a box and stored and haven't played it for months)...no regrets here...

I've sold most of my tube gear, but I still keep a couple of things around: can't quite bear to let my egnater M4 and marshall 20/20 go; the fender prosonic still sits in the studio, mostly unused. Occasionally I'll take it out to a jazz casual... have still got a few pedals, incl barber direct drive and echo park, but mostly just because I havent got around to selling them...

Sold all apart the sentimental ones( some tube Amps,some pedals).But they get rarely played.Just when I need the tubw glow and/or I am too silly to dial it in on the Axe.

My judgment is that if you cannot get the tone you want through the axe(and you have the speakers you want*) that tone doesnt exist in the guitar universe

Roland

*Even a tube amp will sound crappy through crappy PC speakers-just nobody ever trys that.But its done with the Axe

I hear "differently." Not better, not worse.
I am not a "tube snob."
Assign whatever reasons you want, doubt my words, invalidate them, etc. For me, I have trouble with any ADC/DAC in front of an amp, be it a tube or SS amp. With the Axe, there is (additionally) something with the front input that I cannot get past. I will not rehash that here. It does not work as an amp for me. It is not due to not understanding the technology, nor is it lack of time or effort. No big deal, as the effects are stellar, and worth the price. I think it is great that so many love it for the amps! I have heard many excellent recordings, and would have no problem whatsoever working a mix with some of the tracks I have heard. As an amp, it is simply not for me. I am still very happy :D Oh- and Axe-Edit is completely brilliant!!!

As Scott said.. you HAVE to try it yourself. There is absolutely NO WAY.. ZERO chance.. to form a valid opinion unless you actually try one yourself IMO.

I still have a Mesa Recto-Verb combo laying around collecting dust. Haven't sold it just because I won't get what I want for it. That and I'm not hurting for the moolah either.

Back
Top Bottom