Who forgoes the comp block in favour of the amp block comp?

I do!

None of the compressor blocks seems that intuitive or does what I'm looking to do. The amp output compressor just seems to nail it. Doesn't clamp down on the sound and it's just one knob. I usually run it around 2 (give or take) for a clean amp, don't use it on dirty amps.

Also lately I haven't been using motor drive which seems like a form of compression as it kind of takes away the punchy tones I'm looking for.

Odd man out. I don't always use a compressor, but when I do, I choose a block. Typically, Pedal 1 or Studio.

I'm not a big compression guy, but already know I'm more inclined to use some of the amp comp. Still learning though.

A little bit of Output Comp in the Amp block does wonders for clean tones.

Thank you guys. Yek, what are your settings for the output comp?
Are you with me when I do not use motor drive and the output comp together?

Just took a shot at "2" in the output comp of the Silverface. Perfect! Great tip! Just a little dab and I can hear it.

I changed my main clean preset from the amp block compressor (and my acoustic sim preset) to use an optical compressor block after the cab. Optical 1 set to 1.0 with no auto makeup gain off and the level adjusted by ear.

Optical 1 has some of the same mojo as the amp block compressor to my ears.

I do!

None of the compressor blocks seems that intuitive or does what I'm looking to do. The amp output compressor just seems to nail it. Doesn't clamp down on the sound and it's just one knob. I usually run it around 2 (give or take) for a clean amp, don't use it on dirty amps.

Also lately I haven't been using motor drive which seems like a form of compression as it kind of takes away the punchy tones I'm looking for.

Am I missing something? The Dynamics page of the amp block has a bunch of parameters.

I experimented with a pre-AMP block compressor vs the one in the AMP block itself over the weekend.I only use a compressor on clean/low gain tones to fatten them up and bring the low end dynamics under control.

I found I still liked to use the pre-AMP optical compressor vs the AMP block; doing that keeps the amp 'in line'...you hit it with a rounded tone and the excursion into distortion is sweeter. It just plays and sounds different then compression after preamp gain stages, but both compressor locations really fatten up and round clean/low gain tones up nicely for sure. Pre and post compression on certain tones are magic.

I only played a bit with the Feedback compressor type a little bit, but liked the overall control of a dedicated comp. block better on the input (especially to be able to control the Mix). Am going to work with it more though.

One place where I'm now using the AMP Output compression to great effect is on my Lead preset (FAS Lead 1 amp, no other compressor blocks). I'm seriously liking how it adds body and richness (to an already fat, meatly lead tone) and 'chewy-ness' (lol) to the feel; definitely adds to the play-ability in a positive way. Really enhances single notes; fills them out and adds girth, but still retains articulation.

I don't need to use much, anywhere from about 1.0 -> 2.0, threshold around -34dB IIRC.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? The Dynamics page of the amp block has a bunch of parameters.

It might but I never have to touch them.

I should say the compressor block before the amp is useful to clean up the amp as it limits transients. But I find out more useful to have the output compression because it still lets me use drive pedals or dig into the strings for a bit of bite. And I get a little more sustain.

depends on whether i want to compress in front of the amp (comp block) or behind the amp (amp block). both sound different.

edit: to clarify -

i'll compress before a purely clean amp. the compression in front helps it stay clean, even if you dig in really hard

i'll compress after an edge of breakup amp, because i want to retain the amp dynamics and it's response to varying picking strengths, but keep a handle on the overall volume

i won't compress a heavily driven amp, but i love motor drive. a lot.

Last edited:
Try both: Comp block in front of the amp, Output Comp in the Amp itself.
This is what I do. I have been doing it this way for a long time. Setup a compressor in front and add the amp compressor as well. I love my sound. I also set on the dynamics page character type dynamic, character freq about 500 (499) character amount around 2.0 or so. From what it was explained to me is when you dig in it will accentuate that frequency range. Or something like that. It works, is all I know.

Back
Top Bottom