Which real Wah pedal would you suggest/buy?

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I know about the built in Wah's in the Axe and they're great. I think my pedal jack is nonfunctional so thinking i may just buy an actual wah pedal. I'd love some suggestions! tell me what your favourite real world Wah pedal is!

Fulltone Clyde.

BTW, when you say your pedal jack isn't working, you mean the expression pedal jack(s) on the Axe? So they're both not working? Maybe your exp pedal just needs recalibrating.

Chase Tone Gypsy wah, or if you don’t want to spend $700* on the used market a teese RMC10

I find the Axe wahs better than anything though, more tweakable, auto engage, less noise, less audio cables to run, and though there is the cost of an exp pedal it’s cheaper overall than a good quality wah.

Dunlop MC404 CAE Wah. Had one before I bought the FX8 and loved it. Tried a version of the Crybaby and had a Morley at some point but neither were as nice as the CAE.

I've had a Teese or two that were nice, and then a Wilson wah that I think I liked better than the Teese wahs I've had. Then I A/B'd the Wilson with the Axe. That reminds me. I need to post the Wilson on Reverb.

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe - I'm selling mine because I don't need it now that I have my AX8. It is the best wah pedal I've ever owned but I only used to use the 'Jimi' mode (it has three modes).

Last edited:
I need various wah characteristics throughout the gig. For Santana it needs to be subtle at times and more range for his other tunes. For Classic Rock it needs to have more higher frequency range for my needs. And another characteristic for pop and pop rock tunes.

The classic Dunlop Crybaby.

Not because it sounds so much better then the rest, but because you can get them dirt cheap second hand, and there exist a thousand mods to make them sound just as good as all the boutiques for a lot less money. And because modding pedals is fun.

Suggestion:
First find out what is wrong with either your Axe Fx or expression pedal and have a 100% functioning system. Because wah aside, the expression pedal can be used for a hell of allot more than just a wah.
Next:
Still want to use a real/hardware based wah, no problem. But why not sample a few from the Axe Fx and buy accordingly to your taste. You will get a better idea what you are getting into.

Wah's and drive pedals to me, are like standing in front of a spice rack. I don't season my food the same every time, depends on my mood. Allot of the pedals named above I have owned at some point and time and they are all great, different but great. I use to swap them out from time to time just for a different flavor. Towards the end (before I sold them) I guess my go-to was the Dunlop 535Q because of its versatility and all controls were on the outside of the unit, range selection and "Q" setting being the most important (or at least to me)

My vote is for a Vintage Vox Clyde McCoy, or if you are good with a solder gun try modding some modern day Vox’s. I hear the Tease Wah’s are Comparable. That being said, I use the Morley Temonti Wah quite a bit for high gain stuff. Honestly the Axe Wah is fabulous with so many options. If only I could run the Axe Wah into an actual fuzz pedal...

I love my non-Q version of the Dunlop Cry Baby 535. Very versatile.

You can pick them up used for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom