which monitors does Fractal use to voice models

mdubya

Surely this must have been discussed before.

I have an AX8 which I love. It sounds incredible through headphones.

I am currently running a QSC K8. The QSC is OK, and models can be dialed in, but I would love to just hear what is coming through my 'phones, without much tweaking. I want amp in the room tones. The QSC has a pvc like tone and the bass ports are annoying, too.

So how does Fractal monitor the models they create?

First post, newby. Here is my AX8 with my #1 NR Firebird and my vintage Maestro Fuzz. I am currently running just a RangeMaster clone, outboard.

Can't add a photo apparently?
20170426_175822_zpsjtqxoxnx.jpg

OK, that's bettah.

Wanted to add, volume isn't really a concern. This is for 'in home' monitoring. I play at modest volumes almost always.

I think you might be dismayed at the price tag of what Fractal uses ;) Cliff has mentioned the Event Opals several times in the past, which retailed at £2,095 for the pair when they were still made. I'm sure they have a whole boatload of other studio monitors and PA boxes over there too.

As to your actual question - I don't believe they use monitors to voice the amps. Their goal is to precisely replicate the amps' sound. For the preamp you can verify that digitally, and I believe there's a lot of A/B testing through power amps into actual cabs.

I think I have seen them post about the use of JBL PRX series speakers as well.

To the OP I wouldn't put a lot of worry into what FAS is using to monitor, if the speakers are fairly flat you should be ok! So the QSC's you are using should be in the ballpark.

Amp in the room is just that but your not listening to an amp in the room. You are listening to the equivalent of a mic'd cab in an iso both!

To get close to that amp in the room sound, I find if you use a verb and add a touch of early reflection mess with the mix parameter and you can get really close to that live vibe!

Nice Firebird man! Welcome to the machine!

IIRC (this was posted several years ago), Cliff tunes the models by comparing Axe -> solid-state power amp -> guitar cab to the actual amp into the same cab.

...I would love to just hear what is coming through my 'phones, without much tweaking.
You'll never come close without acoustic room treatment.

I want amp in the room tones.
Which is more important: hearing what you hear in your phones, or hearing amp-in-the-room? You can't have both, because they're different things.

Wanted to add, volume isn't really a concern. This is for 'in home' monitoring. I play at modest volumes almost always.
Others may disagree, but IMHO buying larger format speakers which are designed for high SPL and larger spaces for use in a bedroom is a bad approach. For bedroom playing, especially if you want something closer to what you're getting in your headhones, grab a nice set of studio monitors (even cheapies will likely sound closer to your expectations than a PA speaker). For your QSC to sound similar, you'd probably need a bigger space and a little distance between you and the speaker.

OP, does it matter what Fractal uses? Plenty of options to use other PA speakers or hybrid amps. I would look for a powered speaker with a 12" speaker to get some more bass heavy tones.

Thanks for the excellent and informative replies. Much appreciated.

I thought I should at least know what the models are developed on so I could be armed with that info.

The bass porting in the QSC is annoying and the unit itself is not made specifically as a modeling speaker. The AX8 is not my first modeling experience. I think speaker/monitor choices are a short coming for high end modeling.

I am considering pulling the trigger on a Xitone, but it is a significant commitment. I think the design will offer most of what I am looking for.

I have recorded in a studio before, and used a Tech 21 British pedal straight in. The playback on the monitors sounded amazing. I would like a similar experience with the AX8.

The QSC can sound pretty amazing at times, but I would rather just be able to plug in and hear what the AX8 sounds like without having to tweak for the monitor. Too much to hope for, I suppose. :tongueclosed:

If you want the best monitoring experience for full-range, high-end guitar modeling, get the most accurate monitors you can afford. At a given price point, studio monitors will usually be more accurate than anything designed for stage use.

And if the room isn't acoustically treated, it will have a big influence on the sound.

Last edited:
One other thing I would add is a Coaxial monitor sounds so much better especially at close range! whether it's in your practice room or on stage. Xitone or CLR or ??? Coaxial monitor covers a lot of ground.

If I wanted the best and money was no object, I'd totally go for Genelec The Ones: 8331 or 8341.

Back
Top Bottom