Which Knobs Do You -Actually- Use?

...I prefer use switches instead of push/pull pots - MUCH easier (for me anyway) to switch...
Agreed. It sucks when you have to break your groove to tug up on a knob.

...and I can normally just go from humbucking bridge to single neck just by flicking the selector switch
My #1 has an HSH configuration. It gets some great in-between and middle-pickup sounds, but if I want neck or bridge to be single coil, I need another pot/switch.

...The other advantage is that I have them set up as series/single/parallel - can't do THAT with a push/pull ;)
Actually, you can—but it takes more than one. You win that round. :)

...edit-did some reading on the push push - they DO look ideal.....but how will you know where it is at tho? is there some way to physically tell? or would you have to play to hear what it's on?
The trick is to get a push/push pot that sets the knob at different levels for each position. Tap once, it's up. Tap again, it's down. That way, you can tell at a glance where it is. In a blackout, you can tell by feel.

mmmmmh, series/split/parallel in my ibanez. And killswitch! Need to start using that one more often though. mmmmmmh.

For most of my years playing, the knobs have all been on 10. Two years ago I changed that though, and my playing and tone is the best it's ever been because of that change.

I was always on 10, and primarily played humbucker guitars. I had a really remarkably good strat, but I just never liked playing it. It sounded wrong to me and I didn't know how to approach it, so I stuck to my humbucker guitars. It always bugged me though because so many of my favorite players are strat guys. I couldn't understand why some of my favorite tones and playing happened on strats and yet I couldn't make even a great one sound decent. About two years ago, I was fed up with this situation and decided to change it. I decided to force myself to play and gig the strat exclusively until I could make it sing.

It started out rough with the same problems I had always experienced. I always dialed in my patches with one of my humbucker guitars with all the controls on 10. I never touched the guitar controls and changed tones/gain with pedals (or blocks and patch switching in the Axe-FX). In the first forced strat gig, things were ugly so I reached down and rolled the tone knob off to about 6 between sets. Then the lightbulb came on. That was the one simple thing I had been missing. It's funny how something can be right in front of you that you need, but if you ignore it for years you completely forget about it. Just rolling the tone knob back on the strat made it sound right to me and I had a blast playing the rest of the gig. It had always sounded strident and harsh to me because it was strident and harsh because I had the tone knob on 10...

That started me to using the knobs a little bit. I later watched a few videos of my favorite players and noticed that they were constantly tweaking the guitar's controls, sometimes every few notes they were making changes even. It really added to the expressiveness of their playing. I tried it, but I was awful and awkward at it live. I stuck with it though, and two years later it's beginning to become natural to me. It's really changed the way I play and added a really rich new level to my playing.

I now dial in my patches with all the controls rolled off to about 7ish, even on my humbucker guitars. One of the things I noticed when playing the strat in that first few gigs with the tone knob rolled off to 6 or so is that I had the ability to get way brighter sounds if I needed them. I was surprised how often that was exactly what I needed to cut in certain situations live. The option was never there when my controls were on 10.

The other benefit I've experienced with this new use of the knobs is that my patch switching is greatly reduced. The Axe-FX is so responsive to changes of the guitar's controls that once you get good with it you can get a wide range of tones from a single preset. I used to think it was easier to stomp on a switch or two, but I've learned I was wrong. It's easier, more accurate, faster, and smoother to use the guitar's controls.

It was a long struggle for me, but it paid off big in the end. Hopefully someone else will read this and give it a try.

D

Further problems can arise in HSS guitars with shared Volume and Tone pots - generally the vol pot will be a 500K one to suit the Humbucker - while a single coil pup guitar such as a Strat uses 250K. Then there's usually a capacitor across the vol pot legs to help keep the highs in the humbucker as the volume is rolled off - again, this can have adverse effects on the single coils if you expect them to behave like a strat's.

I'm sure there's a way to wire things to use push-push or push-pull pots to isolate the capacitor for just the humbucker - but not sure what solution would work for the vol pot difference.

For an electrical dimwit like me it seems easier to just bring a Strat type and a humbucker type guitar to the gig :)

Last edited:
I have a road worn mexi strat with the texas specials and they are bright and hot.. roll the tone back a bit on the treble pickup (have the EJ mod to tone pots), and it starts to sound alot better on gainy patches or bright amps.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Quite interesting actually. I was talking to my brother about this and he too mentioned that he thought single coil pups seemed to benefit more from the tone knob. I was surprised to see that the consensus here seems to be the same.

Never seen a push/push pot before. Gonna' have to check those out.

I customized my Strat w/ a push-push many years ago... I love it and use it a lot, depending on what kind of music I'm playing. It's set up to give me either all three pickups, or neck/bridge (love seeing guys faces when I've got the middle position LP sound coming out of a Strat ;-) ... It's also the type that pops up when you push it so you can tell very easily which position it's in. Very rarely use the tone controls, except if, as others have said, the sound is too harsh while I'm at a gig or something. I have it wired to the 1st tone works on all 3 pickups and replaced the 2nd tone control w/ a 3-way that toggles series/single coil/parallel on my bridge pickup.

On my PRS 513 I find I use the tone control a bit more, mostly to tame the middle single coil which is really bright. I wanted to lower it to cool it off a touch but it won't really go any lower. So the tone control comes in handy.

I like the idea of dialing in patches w/ the guitar set on 7... will have to try that.

+1 on the tone knob on a strat!

I think the tone rolled off is necessary with a strat and pretty much any vintage marshall.

On my custom shop Les Paul, the pups are hot, so I usually have to roll off volume if I don't want any break up.

Richard

I have all sorts of guitars. I have only 1 that I never touch the tone knob. That would be my Heritage Sweet 16. It does not have a tone knob, nor does it need one. I work my volume knob(s) and tone knobs all the time. There are many sweet spots on my guitars, but not unless I dial them in. Like Jon, I like splitters and especially phase switch. For me the joy of playing is creating a variety of sounds. The tone knob works great for me.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Quite interesting actually. I was talking to my brother about this and he too mentioned that he thought single coil pups seemed to benefit more from the tone knob. I was surprised to see that the consensus here seems to be the same.

Never seen a push/push pot before. Gonna' have to check those out.

Just to be clear, I discovered how important it was to work all the controls on a strat, but I've since found that it's just as important/awesome on my humbucker guitars. The reason it was crucial to me understanding the strat is that I was coming from humbucker guitars and my amps and patches were dialed in on humbucker guitars.

D

I sometimes change the develop control on my Suhr S4 when I use the person rings pickups since they are a lot brighter then the PAF web link humbucker.

My main guitar is a PRS 513, which I love, love, love. It's the guitar I would have had built as a signature model if anyone gave a damn about my signature! ;)

I use the volume to adjust breakup (distortion) in the preset at times, or just as a level control on hot patches. The tone rarely moves unless I am using single coils, and even then it's not often. The 513 has two blade switchs, a 5 way and a 3 way. Those get a lot of attention.

Back
Top Bottom