Which is the real JCM 800????

Which is the real JCM 800?

• The first one, JCM800Compare1

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • The second one, JCM800Compare2

Votes: 55 55.6%

• Total voters
thought they sounded a bit different, maybe they weren't dialled in quite the same.
no2 - a bit more in the mid range.

so close the difference would be hard to pick out in a mix.

Last edited:
I had gone for the first one being the real amp, but I have to say I would also not have been surprised if I had been wrong.

Either way both great sounds...

I couldn't tell which was which, but I preferred the sound of the second one for all the reasons the OP stated. I wouldn't have been surprised had it been either one, but this way round makes me have a wry smile.

strange that lots of votes for #1 are coming in after the amp types have been revealed. don't know what the purpose of that is -crazy stuff, haha
number of votes for #2 was far > #1 before anyone knew what was what.

whatever, both have JCM800 written all over them; authentic.
how about another test with the cab sims on, that'd be interesting too

Happy to be wrong. More clarity, some kind of bass resonance or 'warmth' - all in all, #2 was 'tubier' :mrgreen

Not the same as being in the room, of course, or even listening to Wav files, but I'm convinced. Hell, I've been using FAS exclusively since I bought my Ultra less than a year after it was released, when Dinos still walked the earth...

I voted #1 I think it has the "fullness" in thel owe mid range (250 slider) that is missing from clip 2.
When I dial in my patches for use thru my matrix->cab I always have to bump it up a bit to get that "real" feeling.
It is crazy close though.

Another validation of the awesomeness of the Axe FX when 2/3rd's guess wrong. I quit trying to second guess these things months ago when FW9 hit and it keeps getting better. The unit just blows me a away on many levels.

Thanks for the comparison.

Steve

Thats good to hear from you since I know you've had every "must have" amp under the sun. I've given up the tube path completely and am in the process of selling everything but the Axe. Guys, ask him about his LP clone-I kid I kid (rig talk joke).

Back
Top Bottom