Which headphones do you use to save peace at home?

I bought the Blue Lola's but only have tried them for a few minutes. They are comfortable (once you get used to adjusting them), isolate well. From what I've read the weight is not much lighter than the blue mo-fi's, but they are $100 cheaper without the amp.
I'll update later after I listen with them a little more.

Can anyone comment if blues are a good head phone for mixing?

I have found that my Blue Lola's translate very well - especially for my Axe patches. Plus they are really quiet which saves a lot of peace in my house.

I find myself having to mix late at night and they translate better than my AKG Q701's for mixes and Axe patches.

I got a set of Mo-Fi's a few weeks ago. Love 'em. They sound clear and balanced, and are as close as I've heard to a direct translation to the sound of a good monitor.

They've also reinforced my respect for my Sennheiser HD555s. The 555s sound similar, except that their bass isn't as strong, due to their open design. They're what I wear when I need to hear what's going on around me.

Well, that does it. I just ordered a set of MoFi phones. I'm not happy with my Beyer DT880s on the Axe and my HD280s are more or less trashed anyway. Pity. For as good as the Sennheisers sound and at the price, they have the worst life expectancy of any piece of gear I've ever owned. They not only basically started falling apart almost immediately, the headband and ear pad covering stuff just rotted away. Surprising, because Sennheiser is a premium brand and I'm very easy on gear.

Thank you all for sharing your experience to me, it helps me to get through all this stuff. Ok, let me summerize. I testet the MoFi, sounds really good to me, but for me it´s to heavy, tested the Beyer DT 770 pro and DT 880 pro, really good to listen music, but for me, the feeling for the presets does´nt translate very well, tested the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650, very good stuff, for me, they sounds better than the Beyerthings if I playin´ to a backingtrack, but at least I testet a ART HeadAMP pro in combination with the Axe, my musicdevice and a Sennheiser HD 650, that´s it- but it´s a very expensive solution to play only to keep the peace in the house- in the end I prefer to play without a headphone.

Hi guys, I love to play loud but in the evening my family is annoyed by my noodeling. I´ve got a Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro (250 Ohm) but I don´t like the signal from the phonesoutput. Do you use the AXE phonesout or do you use a signal from a soundcard or another device? What´s your tip?

I use the Bayerdynamic DT880 (600Ohm). very happy with them.

Well, that does it. I just ordered a set of MoFi phones. I'm not happy with my Beyer DT880s on the Axe and my HD280s are more or less trashed anyway. Pity. For as good as the Sennheisers sound and at the price, they have the worst life expectancy of any piece of gear I've ever owned. They not only basically started falling apart almost immediately, the headband and ear pad covering stuff just rotted away. Surprising, because Sennheiser is a premium brand and I'm very easy on gear.

I had the same experience with my HD280 headphones.. and I'm not hard on my gear at all. I've had Grado and Beyer HP's that are much older than the HD280's that are still in great shape.

TI testet the MoFi, sounds really good to me, but for me it´s to heavy, ...

This is one of the advantages of the Lola. I am a computer programmer and wear my cans all day for the most part with no ear fatigue. Not having the preamp takes off some of that excess weight. They are still heavier than some of my other headphones.

Lola = 397g
Mofi's = 466g
DT-880 = 295g

My wife loves that she can't hear my Lola's at all. but she hates that I can't hear her. She also scares the s*!@ out of me sometimes while I am tracking.

This is one of the advantages of the Lola. I am a computer programmer and wear my cans all day for the most part with no ear fatigue. Not having the preamp takes off some of that excess weight. They are still heavier than some of my other headphones.

Lola = 397g
Mofi's = 466g
DT-880 = 295g

My wife loves that she can't hear my Lola's at all. but she hates that I can't hear her. She also scares the s*!@ out of me sometimes while I am tracking.
Hi Danny, what's the difference between the lola and the mo-fi, only the preamp?

I would also cast my vote for the Mofi's.... Although I had a guitar teacher once tell me on the subject of headphones - " sometimes you have to remind your neighbors you play guitar...."
I probably live by that a little too much now - as a result - the mofi's don't get much use !!

Hi Danny, what's the difference between the lola and the mo-fi, only the preamp?
Yup. The only difference is the amp. Kinda wish they'd added Bluetooth. That would have upped the versatility for minimal added cost and weight.

When I first got the Mo-Fi's, I noticed how heavy they were. But I quickly got used to them, and they feel natural. Now my Sennheisers feel like a feather.

Yup. The only difference is the amp. Kinda wish they'd added Bluetooth. That would have upped the versatility for minimal added cost and weight.

When I first got the Mo-Fi's, I noticed how heavy they were. But I quickly got used to them, and they feel natural. Now my Sennheisers feel like a feather.

I personally like the heavy nature of them. Less likely to fly off my head if I'm bouncing around. The only time it bothered me was when I had them on for 3 hours during a flight, then it was more about the spring keeping it on my head. It's loosened up quite a bit since then.

I might have liked bluetooth as an option...especially since it has that damn'd proprietary cable.

1. V-Moda Crossfade M100
2. Sony MDR-V700
3. AKG K-260
1 being the newest and most favored, 3 being the oldest and least favored. All three in the $150-250 range.

So I have been using the same pair of sennheiser hd280 pro for a couple years. I absolutely love them. They sound awesome. Have held up great. At their price point I have been thrilled with them.

I decided to get a new pair and invest a few more dollars. I picked up the sennheiser hd6 mix and I just don't like the sound at all in comparison. I know they are quieter but they just will not hold a candle to the 280's

I hear many of you are liking the Blue mo-fi and I figured I might give them a shot. Few questions for you experienced guys out there...

If I like the 280s and just want something higher quality, Should I stick with a sennheiser of a different model? Are the hd6's just more transparent? I have noticed that nearly all of my patches sound better with those 280's period, can anyone smarter than I elaborate on reasons? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on returning the hd6's and making a choice soon before I lose my discount on the 29th!

Thanks

Maybe because you dialed them in on the 280's. :)

haha oh such truth. How foolish to not think about that. I do spend hours on end in the middle of the night using them.

I do play through other monitors and some k8's which have always sounded fantastic as well.. I did acquire a matrix amp to use for my cab so I suppose I will be hearing lots of changes when I get that all rigged up.

There was just always something real special about those 280's. For only a 100 bucks, I have to think I could do better.

the hd6's any opinions on those?

There was just always something real special about those 280's. For only a 100 bucks, I have to think I could do better.
Maybe. I have a pair of HD555's that I bought for around $100 about ten years ago. Except for the bottom end and the leakage of room noise because of their open-back design, they compare favorably with the Mo-Fi in passive mode.

the hd6's any opinions on those?
Never tried 'em, so I could only pretend to have an opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom