Which guitar wireless unit to get

Main strike on the Line 6 units for me was the battery life. Shure is the best I've ever seen in my life.

I can play a 2 nighter (that is 6 solid 1 hour sets + another hour standby give or take) on single set of Duracell AA rechargeables that are still going strong after 3 years of every weekend use (that's over 156 charges, and still giving me 8:20 fully charged). I also have about 20 sets of backups as I also use the same batteries in my IEM receiver, as well as my camera, LED flashlight, wireless keyboard and mouse, tuner, microBR digital recorder and anything else, LED rack light, wireless remotes, etc.

I also have the Duracell 15 minute charger which easily gives me a full charge in between sets.

IMO the versatility of being able to use cheaply replaceable AA rechargeables far outweighs extra time... I mean I don't play for 16 hours + straight or even 8 hours straight 2 nights in a row, so, just seems like a pointless thing, because I bet you are still charging it to full prior to getting on stage every time.

I can play a 2 nighter (that is 6 solid 1 hour sets + another hour standby give or take) on single set of Duracell AA rechargeables that are still going strong after 3 years of every weekend use (that's over 156 charges, and still giving me 8:20 fully charged). I also have about 20 sets of backups as I also use the same batteries in my IEM receiver, as well as my camera, LED flashlight, wireless keyboard and mouse, tuner, microBR digital recorder and anything else, LED rack light, wireless remotes, etc.

I also have the Duracell 15 minute charger which easily gives me a full charge in between sets.

IMO the versatility of being able to use cheaply replaceable AA rechargeables far outweighs extra time... I mean I don't play for 16 hours + straight or even 8 hours straight 2 nights in a row, so, just seems like a pointless thing, because I bet you are still charging it to full prior to getting on stage every time.

Nope. I am getting weeks or (gasp) months out of a *single* charge depending on how often I use it; and with a spare battery in the base charging at all times I have a spare ready to go at the drop of a hat with over 16 hours on it at a time. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say it's the best battery life I've ever seen; it is. When it says you have 2 hours, you get 2 full hours and the charging meter is in hours and minutes and it's scary accurate. No fudging with a bar or two bars guessing if you have enough to get through the next set. I know exactly what I have. Yes, I've tested it.

I decided to go with the shure. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just going to keep my AKG unit as my second wireless for my piezo pickup.

One question I have on the shure, is it worth having custom cables made for the packs? It's weird but the regular unit comes with a standard cable and the pedal version comes with Mogami and a neutrix connector. But I'm thinking of having redco make me some nicer cables for the packs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I decided to go with the shure. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just going to keep my AKG unit as my second wireless for my piezo pickup.

One question I have on the shure, is it worth having custom cables made for the packs? It's weird but the regular unit comes with a standard cable and the pedal version comes with Mogami and a neutrix connector. But I'm thinking of having redco make me some nicer cables for the packs.

The weak link I've found with every wireless unit I've used over the years is the cable. I'd recommend getting one made up and relegating the stock one to 'backup' status.

I have a G55 and it works great (with multiple transmitters, one for each guitar). Had a G30 prior to the G55 and it also worked great.

I ordered right angle cables from Lava Cable but never had any issues with the stock cables and they make great backups.

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

I ordered the Shure angled one to use as a primary and keep the straight one as a backup. No issues thus far.

Still waiting for my wireless unit. Shures are on back order until almost February they said. Kind of sucks. I may try and grab one on ebay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never had a wireless unit before and tried out the Line 6 G30 as they first came out. It's been a runner for a couple years now.
I trust it enough that I have loaned it out and got it back six months later still working!
I really like being able to do a sound check and walk out into the audience seating area to get an ideal of what the whole band sounds like as the audience would hear it.
It's great that I can talk to the sound tech and agree on any minor changes that he/she recommends.
Although it's Line 6's cheapest model, I cannot tell any loss of "tone" from the unit.
It's awesome. If I lost/broke it, I would get another.

I have a G55 and it works great (with multiple transmitters, one for each guitar).

How do you set that up? Separate channels, and switch the G55 when you change guitars, or same channel remembering to switch one off before the other on?

How do you set that up? Separate channels, and switch the G55 when you change guitars, or same channel remembering to switch one off before the other on?

I use the same channel and just turn the transmitter on / off on the appropriate guitar.

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.

I recently picked up a G55 as well, works great, and I like that its rack mountable. The Shure I checked out as well, but just didn't really fit into a rack and the antenna can't be removed.

G55 basically does what I need, cost me under $300 on Ebay, and sounds really good. Fits into the rack with adapters (or can just cut out part of a panel) and you can position the antenna where you want/need them with cheap BNC cable.

Less battery time, but I've got tons of rechargeable AA's and its pretty fast/easy to pop new ones into the transmitter in literally about 3 seconds. I like the nice LED meter for battery life on the front panel of the unit too.

Wasn't sure if I'd want more cable tone tweakability, like the cheaper G50 had, but honestly found I don't even use it at all. I can roll off some highs to taste plenty of ways in the Axe.

I'm not a L6 fan really, but they really did do a decent product for the price with the relay line

G50 for a year or so by now, flawless with zero problems.
I use it 100% of the time, also at home for practicing.
I use rechargeable batteries for practicing and rehearsals and standards like Duracell for gigging.
Standard good battery will last for 6 hours or so, good enough.
The rechargeable for around 3.

The receiver is lying in the back of my 4U rack and I build a back 1U panel with the antennas with extending wires from the receiver pedal.
So, the receiver is not taking space and its hidden, overall very cool.
I did 1000 of comparison with my cables (Klotz) and the sound is 1:1.

I was very impressed with the receive range also, I gigged once a big stage but the real test was when I first got it, my studio is on the first floor in a room with concreate walls and I went up to the second floor to a far room, it sound perfect, no dropouts at all!.

Back
Top Bottom