Which FW EQ sounds best

• A

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • C

Votes: 34 56.7%

• Total voters
so what happened with 15.05 that is sounds worse? and is this solved in 15.06? I am still on FW14 something.

15.05/06 sound identical and they are the best sounding firmwares 'til today. But the op compared the same preset without making adjustments, which is a bad method...

so what happened with 15.05 that is sounds worse? and is this solved in 15.06? I am still on FW14 something.

My questions exactly. I'm on 14 still and I was about to go to the latest, but after reading this thread I'm certainly going to wait for an update of what is going on.

Same here. Reading about all the bugs and bad tone reports don't make me want to update. The one thing I dislike about the Axe is the constant retweaking each FW update. I think it is a waste of time.

The main problem I see with this comparison is the level should have been normalized between the 3 clips and the recordings should have been done with a loop. I pulled these 3 clips into my DAW and set the levels equal and there was no mentionable difference in tone except that the B clip (level is way lower than the other clips) was a little noisier due to the gain increase in the DAW post low level recording.

Same here. Reading about all the bugs and bad tone reports don't make me want to update. The one thing I dislike about the Axe is the constant retweaking each FW update. I think it is a waste of time.

Exactly. I'll wait until everyone is saying all the bugs and issues are resolved and then I'm all in!

Yeah retweaking is big jorney sadly ,and that is last what i want to do. And i have notice it is very hard to get exactly same results like you did have in previous FW ,if you try to get that same old tone whit lot of tweaking. I`m on 13.07 still and it works for me best right now ,i was tested FW15 and that did not work for me unfortunately. FW15 did not work whit high gain presets ,but that FW15 did work whit low gain presets. It was add some softness and rumpled for tone ,but second side of coin it was take off some aggressive character away for high gain tones.

Last edited:
i was hoping the vid was of that girl showing you her boobs. :)

I picked C but it was a toss up with A. Besides being lower in volume B sounded kind of like it had an enhancer on or something.

i was hoping the vid was of that girl showing you her boobs. :)
I aim to please. Here's my avatar clip :eagerness:
Shirt - YouTube
It's mildly NSFW so it's not embedded. And the vid is unlisted/unsearchable so keep it here please.

Time flies, that was 8-9 years ago, halloween, pre-axe-fx with a Fuchs combo amp back when I used to bother lugging a subwoofer around.

A is FW 15.02, B is 15.05, C is 15.06
If I get a chance later today I'll put B up at same volume as others. IMO it didn't sound the same at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

For those worried about upgrading, I wouldn't. First of all, those patches are input 2 L&R into the FXL block with NO amp/cab blocks in the patch. You're probably not doing that with your axe-fx. Second, the "issue" is all but gone in 15.06 except the acoustic isn't as warm but I can dial that in.

For those saying I should've re-dialed, PEQ and GEQ are not like amp blocks that need redialing on major FW upgrades - I've done 70 FW upgrades across standard, ultra and II and PEQ/GEQ (or whatever changed) didn't noticeably change until 15.05, and it changed a lot. That was point of this thread.

I disagree with the argument that FW was not at fault, and the tone in B was a failure to redial the patch, and/or that B & C sound identical. Maybe putting B up at same volume, or re-amping ABC will prove otherwise. I'll get B up again, and maybe next week I'll re-amp all three.

Last edited:
I aim to please. Here's my avatar clip :eagerness:
Shirt - YouTube
It's mildly NSFW so it's not embedded. And the vid is unlisted/unsearchable so keep it here please.

Time flies, that was 8-9 years ago, halloween, pre-axe-fx with a Fuchs combo amp back when I used to bother lugging a subwoofer around.

A is FW 15.02, B is 15.05, C is 15.06
If I get a chance later today I'll put B up at same volume as others. IMO it didn't sound the same at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

For those worried about upgrading, I wouldn't. First of all, those patches are input 2 L&R into the FXL block with NO amp/cab blocks in the patch. You're probably not doing that with your axe-fx. Second, the "issue" is all but gone in 15.06 except the acoustic isn't as warm but I can dial that in.

For those saying I should've re-dialed, PEQ and GEQ are not like amp blocks that need redialing on major FW upgrades - I've done 70 FW upgrades across standard, ultra and II and PEQ/GEQ (or whatever changed) didn't noticeably change until 15.05, and it changed a lot. That was point of this thread.

I disagree with the argument that FW was not at fault, and the tone in B was a failure to redial the patch, and/or that B & C sound identical. Maybe putting B up at same volume, or re-amping ABC will prove otherwise. I'll get B up again, and maybe next week I'll re-amp all three.

Then something must be wrong in your presrts because 15.05 is the same as 15.06, talking about sound. It only fixed few bugs...

I think solo-acts aim was to draw attention to the problem he reported in the FW 15.05 thread:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/89336-axe-fx-ii-firmware-15-06-released.html
Where in fact the change in volume was a big part of the issue. And I can understand that would be a problem mid-gig.

Usually big changes in volume happen in the amp block and when that's not used usually there's no change in volume moving from one FW to the next. I wouldn't suspect the acoustic presets to change after a FW update.

That said I usually run by each preset for a gig. And then again I don't use a great number and don't play acoustic much...

Then something must be wrong in your presrts because 15.05 is the same as 15.06, talking about sound. It only fixed few bugs...
See this has happened to me too several FW revisions since FW 10. My presets sound different but was told nothing was changed that it must be my user error or something. (Not talking about the major updates, just the revisions that "fix bugs" )This is very frustrating. Then people treat you like you must be a noob and not know what you are doing or something...

Unless the bug he ran into was this:

"Fixed Parametric EQ block band 4 selecting wrong filter type on presets created with certain firmware versions."

Unless the bug he ran into was this:

"Fixed Parametric EQ block band 4 selecting wrong filter type on presets created with certain firmware versions."
Nope - it just made a small +db hump, not an extreme -db valley, and there's only one PEQ in the patch. Not enough change to explain the 15+db drop.

I looked at 15.06 FW notes and found nothing that explained huge db loss in 15.05.

I'm not surprised no one else reported it on the forum.
- A minority of axe-fx users play acoustic and electric through axe-fx
- fewer of those have acoustic patches without a pre/amp/cab block
- fewer use an acoustic mic/pickup combo in their acoustic
- Even fewer separate those two signals with an insert cable
- Even fewer put that insert cable into rear input 2 L/R
- And fewer have done all those AND not touched their acoustic patch PEQ/GEQ for years

As proof, I keep getting advice to update presets (update amps) and/or to reset amps - LOL

You can all go to 15.06 and be fine. My electric presets on 15.02, 15.05, 15.06 have all been fine.

I'll go over this one more time:
The issue I had was 15.05 only, and the EQ blocks in 15.06 are a little less warm sounding but not a big deal.

My issue only happened on an acoustic preset at input 2 L/R using the following blocks FXL>MBC>GEQ>GEQ>FLT>MIX>PEQ>other fx>out -- zero amps, zero preamp, zero cabs

My questions exactly. I'm on 14 still and I was about to go to the latest, but after reading this thread I'm certainly going to wait for an update of what is going on.
Exactly. I'll wait until everyone is saying all the bugs and issues are resolved and then I'm all in!
Still on Fw14.00 over here too....:encouragement:

This poll don't make sense to me!
When Cliff push the limit with a new upgrade He see a new or best algorithm to reach some specific circuit behaviour ( forget my bad english ... you got the meaning!!!)... and/or He put some new outgear into the box.
If He do this... we need to manage the new idea... before getting the best out the box!
IMHO

Back
Top Bottom