Which Charvel Guthrie Govan guitar ? Ash or Basswood ?

My favorite tone guitar (RG550LTD) is basswood. I've tried J.Customs, Suhrs Tom Andersons, Charvels, Schecters and many others brands with different woods, but that basswood timber is still my favorite. But that could probably be a factor not related at all to the type of wood.

By the looks of these two I would prefer the Ash, though. That flame maple of the basswood Charvel looks anemic. But I would neither choose that ash because it looks like the furniture at my grandma's house. Or pick the basswood and paint it or swirl it :p

Last edited:
I'm afraid they look much worst than that 😅

I would really love to grab that ash Charvel.
I’ve thought about this guitar for a while. I’ve never owned a tremel-no(sp?) vibrato…anyone else here have this type?
Not 100% sure but you can lock it, dive down only and dive up and down with this ? that is cool if true!

I’ve thought about this guitar for a while. I’ve never owned a tremel-no(sp?) vibrato…anyone else here have this type?
Not 100% sure but you can lock it, dive down only and dive up and down with this ? that is cool if true!
The Tremel-No is not the type of bridge. It's just an optional piece of hardware to allow the trem to float or be "blocked".

It's actually a Charvel bridge.

The Tremel-No is not the type of bridge. It's just an optional piece of hardware to allow the trem to float or be "blocked".

It's actually a Charvel bridge.
Yeah, thanks…checked out some yt videos demoing this hardware. It looks like the bees knees, no?

I haven't tried one yet but it seems very similar to a non-fine-tuner Floyd Rose...
It is not a fine-tuner, it is a trem blocker that converts the bridge into a hardtail when tightening the wheels. The one I've tried also made the trem bar more tight than a normal trem when it is disengaged, and it removes any flutter. It removes part of the fun of having a floating trem. I didn't liked it.

Last edited:
I way prefer the "right" ash one but you want it pretty light. From a tone perspective it is far easier to find a great sounding Basswood version. Heaver ash can sound harsh and lacking in mids.

Can’t shake wanting one of these…gatdam GAS !!!!!
I’m leaning towards the ash model.
Who has heard both models?

ash: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...e-govan-signature-hsh-caramelized-ash-natural
basswood: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...thrie-govan-signature-hsh-flame-maple-natural

Oh, thanks in advance kind forum members. :)
I have all three models. Sound wise they are close. The maple models are a tad brighter but not by much. The MJ model is a hair hotter but again not much. The MJ model has some slight up grades per GG including some damping, a better arm attachment a new neck profile and ball point fret ends. They are all great. But the MJ is my favorite right now.

Back
Top Bottom