What's your gig strategy with the FM3? Here's mine (so far)

I have an all in one preset. I am not working with scenes, but I use the per preset layout, which works great for me. I have an Boss FS-7 connected for two extra switches and use the fm3 more like a traditional pedalboard

FS 1: Tap -> Drive
FS 2: Tap -> Delay 1 (1/4)
FS 3: Tap -> BPM Tap / Hold -> Tuner
FS 4: Tap -> Delay 2 (1/8 dot) / Hold -> Control Switch 1 (turns Reverb Decay and Mix up for ambient sound)
FS 5: Tap -> Tremolo / Hold -> Clean Amp Boost (only for certain parts of a song)

If a have a song that needs a special effect like chorus, pitch etc I have presets where I switched out the tremolo for one of these fx.

I play acoustic and electric, in1(elect) and in2 (acoustic) so I have two presets that I use all night. It is really cool that changing presets automatically mutes the other guitar. What is not cool is that you have to manually set the tuner to use the other input each time. Pretty seamless otherwise. Just don't forget to tell the sound person that board effects shouldn't be necessary- I have been "double-reverb'd" at least once :)

Last edited:
I do a preset per song with 4-5 scenes per preset. FM3 buttons 1-3 are scenes 1-3 with buttons 1 and 3 set for hold to preset up and down and button 2 hold as the master layout menu. I have a Mosky dual switch assigned to be scenes 4 and 5 with one button as a hold function for the tuner.
This is definitely what my plan is. I don't have my FM3 yet, but do have the Mosky. I typically need more than 3 scenes per song.

I play acoustic and electric, in1(elect) and in2 (acoustic) so I have two presets that I use all night. It is really cool that changing presets automatically mutes the other guitar. What is not cool is that you have to manually set the tuner to use the other input each time. Pretty seamless otherwise. Just don't forget to tell the sound person that board effects shouldn't be necessary- I have been "double-reverb'd" at least once :)

I use the < > mini tuner in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It works great as long as you don't need a visual on the note you're hitting. With regard to the sound techs, I've typed up a simple note following the FM3 manual, which explains that I'm sending a line level (not a mic level) signal that's already mixed and processed and that all the tech needs to do is to input me "flat" and adjust volume, etc. as needed. The last tech loved this and complimented me on my sound.

It's very easy, all in FM3 edit. Go to the foot controller page, highlight a foot switch in the preset view, and the layout link button is in the lower right area of the screen. click on that and tell it to go to layout 2, view 1. You need to do that for all 3 preset foot switches.

I think that's it, I can give you more detailed instructions later if you are struggling. I recommend backing up your layouts before messing with them.

thanks for this, it works great and now part of my setup !

I use a single preset for most gigs. I use 4 scenes and have them set up as follows

FS1 (tap): Clean
FS1 (toggle): Lead
FS2 (tap): Dirt
FS2 (toggle): Lead
FS3 (tap): Heavy
FS3 (toggle): Lead

This way I can always have direct access to all 4 scene with only a single tap of a footswitch. I also use a Roland FS7 to for selecting the tuner and other functionality.

I use a single preset for most gigs. I use 4 scenes and have them set up as follows

FS1 (tap): Clean
FS1 (toggle): Lead
FS2 (tap): Dirt
FS2 (toggle): Lead
FS3 (tap): Heavy
FS3 (toggle): Lead

This way I can always have direct access to all 4 scene with only a single tap of a footswitch. I also use a Roland FS7 to for selecting the tuner and other functionality.
Nice. When you say “(Toggle),” younreally mean “(Hold),” right?

Figured someone in this thread may help...

new to this...I’m using a scene setting for gigs

FS1: Clean
FS2: overdrive (think 70’s rock)
FS3: heavier drive (80’s rock)

if I activate an effect, say chorus while on FS1clean...when I switch to FS2 or 3, the effect stays engaged.

Is there a way to switch scenes and have the next scene go to the default setting? Meaning, as used in the above example, the chorus will not be engaged when switches from FS1 clean to FS2...

Thx!

Figured someone in this thread may help...

new to this...I’m using a scene setting for gigs

FS1: Clean
FS2: overdrive (think 70’s rock)
FS3: heavier drive (80’s rock)

if I activate an effect, say chorus while on FS1clean...when I switch to FS2 or 3, the effect stays engaged.

Is there a way to switch scenes and have the next scene go to the default setting? Meaning, as used in the above example, the chorus will not be engaged when switches from FS1 clean to FS2...

Thx!
Turn on Scene Revert.

I'm new to this also, just getting my head around layouts. I have Scene Revert enabled. View 1 > 1/4 toggle, 1 > 2/5 etc, with drive/delay on View 3 sw 1 & 2 (return to view 1 or 2 by holding switch 1 or 3 to increment). If I leave the drive ON (on view 3), and go back to one of the clean scenes, drive stays on. Sometimes it doesn't. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Need to experiment more I think.

I am still working on my strategy. It too is slow for gigs, but I'm booking shows for the summer.

My thought is to have one preset for each guitar. I usually bring a Strat (or Tele) and my Les Paul. For certain shows, I may add a 335. Set the bank size to toggle between the presets. My vision is to keep to six scenes (OMG9), so I can see what I have up all the time. If I have to toggle effects, I can get there as well. With four channels on blocks, this setup seems to give me all I want. To think I use to gig with one pedal board for years! LOL Now I'm switching out amps and pedal boards per song! Funny!

Nobody using automated scene changes via MIDI? I am curious about different approaches to that topic. Thats the road I want to go down when I receive my FM3 (hopefully next week).

What's your FM3 set up for live shows? I've enjoyed 3 outdoor gigs now with the FM3, so I thought I'd share my strategy and hopefully get others to share theirs.

The most recent with a full stage and sound system. To prepare for this gig, I created one preset that I could use throughout the 3 hour show. The preset (which I've labeled "Q Matchless") uses the FAS "Boutique 1" amp, which models the Matchless Chieftain. This model gave me the foundation I needed to create the right blend of clean, edge of breakup and moderate gain tones for the gig. I kept it simple, which for me is key so I can stay focused on playing: Scene 1 is a cleanish RHYTHM. Scene 2 is a BOOST with additional volume and gain. Scene 3 is WAH LEAD, which provides even more volume, more gain and engages the EV2 for wah-wah. This set up was perfect for what I needed because I was able quickly to toggle between these 3 scenes during songs when and as needed. It also assured that delay and reverb tails would spill over and that there would be no latency or "drop outs" that could occur if I were switching between presets. In addition, the 3 foot switches were all I needed because I relied on the < > tuner in the upper left hand corner of the screen, rather than having to navigate to the master Tuner. The sound tech loved the set up because he simply needed to monitor my overall balance and volume as needed. He also complimented the tones. I consistently cut through the mix -- even with another guitar, keys and a sax. I've since created additional presets following the same formula using different amps and cabs. If I need a scene that I use less often (for example, a CHORUS scene), I'll use Scene 4 for that one. I've posted my "Q Matchless" preset and several others on Ax-Echange if anyone wishes to give them a try -- just tweak to your taste / needs. Overall, I've been extremely pleased with this device.
Are you playing your own stuff or covers? We play covers so I have a preset for each song we do. I suppose I could put similar sounding songs in the same preset but it's easier for me to arrange the presets in the order we do the songs. I then have scenes within each preset to move from say an acoustic part to a heavy rhythm part. Comfortably Numb is the song that uses the most scenes. I have an MC8 to manage blocks like Delay, Flanger, Tremolo, Boost, etc.

I've been pretty happy with just the FM3, an expression pedal and a two-switch Mosky (I also put a passive volume pedal in front of everything). After goofing around a bit, I landed on a strategy that I'm really happy with (described below). Note that I play in both a funk/jazz fusion band and an 80s metal band. I'll describe the jazz/funk set-up, but I basically use the same overall strategy for the metal stuff:
  • I created a base preset using the ODS 100 that covers about 80% of what I need in a gig. That is my base tone and use scenes to get what I need. Scenes are as follows:
    1. Ultra clean, no delay. A bit more compression for tight funk rhythm playing.
    2. Pushed clean with delay. This is my home base for most of the jazz/funk stuff. It is really responsive to volume knob so I can do a lot with it. I do the majority of my rhythm playing and clean lead playing with this scene.
    3. Dirty lead (basically scene two with a bit more delay and a BE overdrive)
    4. Backing clean tone. This is basically a little lower volume, a bit of chorus, and slightly darker version of the clean with delay. I tend to hit this if I really just want to add some pad-type backing to our keys player.
    5. Duplicate of scene 2 (this is just so I can get to really quick if I am in View 2 on the FM3). I'll typically just navigate back to Scene 2 when I'm on this one.
    6. Slightly pushed clean. I use this to get a bit more of a Robben Ford vibe.
    7. Super lush clean (more delay and a lusher reverb). I use it for more acid jazz vibe.
    8. Rotary speaker clean tone with a bit more push.
  • I have a few songs which need something quite different like a harmonizer or more lush reverb/delay sounds. For these I just copy the base preset and make adjustments as needed. I also make a copy for a drastically different input gain guitar (like my baritone).
  • The expression pedal on the main preset is set to auto-engage wah. For the other patches I vary what it does to include being a whammy or mixing in rotary speaker effect.
  • The Mosky is set so that one button is dedicated tap tempo (which I constantly use) and the other toggles through views. I originally thought I'd have one access the tuner, but realized I can get that in view three when in Scenes. I also played with different hold functions, but really didn't find I needed it.

No. I mean second press on the same switch. I dont use the hold functions on the buttons because they add delay to the switching.
This is awesome! I was really struggling with this on my setup. Hold adds a delay and it's also really tricky to pull off while playing and singing, at least for me. I didn't realize that toggle was an option.

My setup is similar to what many have described, I am using scenes for everything, laid out like this:

Left button (tap): Clean
Left button (hold): Clean w/mod (varies depending on preset, could be a light flange or chorus)
Middle button (tap): Main high gain rhythm
Middle button (hold): Alternate/effected high gain rhythm (varies depending on preset, could be phaser or tremolo)
Right button (tap): High gain lead (w/ delay and reverb)
Right button (hold): High gain lead (dry)

I also have an expression pedal for wah/whammy and a Saturnworks dual switch (very similar to the Mosky switch). I have that set to preset up/preset down for tap, and hold for tuner.

So now I need to go through my layout and update it to use toggles rather than the tap/hold functions.

It depends on the gig. If my oldies (60s-80s) band gets to gig again I usually have one or two core patches but I need several specialty patches for specific songs (I have to cover a lot of ground).

Otherwise I prefer to keep it simple with at most 2-3 patches.

@TheloniusJ I basically do the same thing FM3 FC6 OMG9. My main preset is an ODS 100 and I have 6 scenes - clean, dirty, dirty with delay, mean, mean with delay, mean with delay and univibe. I also have a few other blocks in there (2 overdrives) and so I can tap the effects and have it sorta like I used to with a tube rig and pedals (stacking overdrives, delays, chorus/vibe)... I use this for 85% of a show. I have the preset on 000, then the next 5 (6 total buttons on the FC6) so I don't have to page. The other sounds are like marshall/friedman nasty or super custom stuff like synth. I have another JM45 based preset that goes clean to dirty, then nasty with the Atomica just in case I am not bonding with my ODS 100 as well as a vibrolux one that is almost like the ODS 100 but has a different and more fender thin frequency profile if the ODS is too muddy.

Back
Top Bottom