What's your gig strategy with the FM3? Here's mine (so far)

vika12

Experienced
What's your FM3 set up for live shows? I've enjoyed 3 outdoor gigs now with the FM3, so I thought I'd share my strategy and hopefully get others to share theirs.

The most recent with a full stage and sound system. To prepare for this gig, I created one preset that I could use throughout the 3 hour show. The preset (which I've labeled "Q Matchless") uses the FAS "Boutique 1" amp, which models the Matchless Chieftain. This model gave me the foundation I needed to create the right blend of clean, edge of breakup and moderate gain tones for the gig. I kept it simple, which for me is key so I can stay focused on playing: Scene 1 is a cleanish RHYTHM. Scene 2 is a BOOST with additional volume and gain. Scene 3 is WAH LEAD, which provides even more volume, more gain and engages the EV2 for wah-wah. This set up was perfect for what I needed because I was able quickly to toggle between these 3 scenes during songs when and as needed. It also assured that delay and reverb tails would spill over and that there would be no latency or "drop outs" that could occur if I were switching between presets. In addition, the 3 foot switches were all I needed because I relied on the < > tuner in the upper left hand corner of the screen, rather than having to navigate to the master Tuner. The sound tech loved the set up because he simply needed to monitor my overall balance and volume as needed. He also complimented the tones. I consistently cut through the mix -- even with another guitar, keys and a sax. I've since created additional presets following the same formula using different amps and cabs. If I need a scene that I use less often (for example, a CHORUS scene), I'll use Scene 4 for that one. I've posted my "Q Matchless" preset and several others on Ax-Echange if anyone wishes to give them a try -- just tweak to your taste / needs. Overall, I've been extremely pleased with this device.

Mine is very similar. I have 4 scenes. Clean, crunch, high gain rhythm and high gain lead

button one tap toggles between crunch and ruthym. Button one hold brings me to preset up and down

button 2 tap is clean only. Hold brings up effects. Hold again brings me back to the main

button 3 tap is lead only. Button 3 hold is tuner
Fits my needs perfectly. I have the identical preset tuned to my different guitars so I just choose the preset and go

Mine is very similar. I have 4 scenes. Clean, crunch, high gain rhythm and high gain lead

button one tap toggles between crunch and ruthym. Button one hold brings me to preset up and down

button 2 tap is clean only. Hold brings up effects. Hold again brings me back to the main

Fits my needs perfectly. I have the identical preset tuned to my different guitars so I just choose the preset and go

Nice!

I do a preset per song with 4-5 scenes per preset. FM3 buttons 1-3 are scenes 1-3 with buttons 1 and 3 set for hold to preset up and down and button 2 hold as the master layout menu. I have a Mosky dual switch assigned to be scenes 4 and 5 with one button as a hold function for the tuner.

I also stay on one preset for the entire gig. I primarily stay in Scenes mode as well. I have the 3 buttons configured for scenes 1/5, 2/6, and 3/4 so that the first 3 scenes are top level/first press. I live mostly on two, a rhythm sound. 1 is a clean, with trem and a little delay, controlled by an EV2. 3 is a solo boost, and double tap to 4 for a solo boost with delay. That's about it. 5 I rarely use and its an ambient scene for swells, and 6 is a step down tuning on the virtual capo. If I want to use effects, I hold 3 to go to 2 revolving views of 6 effects total. If I hold 1, that's tap tempo and tuner. Hold 2 from any screen to get back out to the presets/scenes/effects menu.

4CM with an EVH 5150iii 6L6 50 watt & 212 cab

Using a preset per song
Usually just 3 scenes
Midi scene block to switch amp channels
1 spring loaded expression pedal, Usually Wah.

Preset per song here but the same principle of 3-4 scenes (clean, rhythm (preamp CC boost), rhythm + (drive pedal), and lead if I need it). Each preset will mostly be a copy of the first one with tempo changes for time based effects. I'm playing in a worship environment 100% of the time now which is heavy on the time based effects.

I don't play live (yet) but I'm still working out layouts.

This is great ^^^. Simple and intuitive. I've been using this.

In the ax8 days I had about 5-8 presets that I used on a very regular basis. Some set up for worship-y sounds, some set up for rock, some for acoustic guitar and banjo, some for clean jazz gigs. I navigated though these with scenes and IA switches.

I plan on doing the same with the FM3 and the help of a morningstar MC-3 (arriving today 🙌) and a pair of external switches.

The next step will be to wait around for another 6 months/year before anyone has live music again.

I am just playing with the layouts as I've only had it for a short while. I generally only use a few presets and rely heavily on scenes- this is what I have come up with so far:

The unit boots up into presets. I am using layout links so as soon as I select a preset it jumps to the scene layout. I am only using view one in the scenes layout; each button toggles between two scenes, so I have 6 scenes available. Holding the middle button takes me back to the presets layout. Holding the right button takes me to the FX layout. Holding the middle button of any of the 4 FX views takes me back to the scenes layout. Holding the left button of the scenes layout takes me to the utilities layout where the left button is output -1 db and the right button is output +1 db, (I would love it if we could get scene volume increment/decrement, which would be much more useful IMHO). The middle button is the tuner. Holding the middle button takes me back to the scenes layout.

I have a 2 button stand-in switch; one button is tap tempo, hold for tuner. The second button is currently assigned to control switch 2 connected to the amp input boost, hold not assigned.

I had thought that an external midi controller would be a necessity. I now don't think that is the case. The Layout links feature is a genius move, and it's sounding great, and so far everything's working great too.

Last edited:
this sounds very cool, right now after I select a preset, I then have to hold the middle bottom to get to the scenes. How do you enable “link layouts”, so it send you into the scenes automatically for the selected preset ? thx.

I am just playing with the layouts as I've only had it for a short while. I generally only use a few presets and rely heavily on scenes- this is what I have come up with so far:

The unit boots up into presets. I am using layout links so as soon as I select a preset it jumps to the scene layout. I am only using view one in the scenes layout; each button toggles between two scenes, so I have 6 scenes available. Holding the middle button takes me back to the presets layout. Holding the right button takes me to the FX layout. Holding the middle button of any of the 4 FX views takes me back to the scenes layout. Holding the left button of the scenes layout takes me to the utilities layout where the left button is output -1 db and the right button is output +1 db, (I would love it if we could get scene volume increment/decrement, which would be much more useful IMHO). The middle button is the tuner. Holding the middle button takes me back to the scenes layout.

I have a 2 button stand-in switch; one button is tap tempo, hold for tuner. The second button is currently assigned to control switch 2 connected to the amp input boost, hold not assigned.

I had thought that an external midi controller would be a necessity. I now don't think that is the case. The Layout links feature is a genius move, and it's sounding great, and so far everything's working great too.

I just wanted to let you know that I tried your preset on Axe Change. I love it man. I added a phaser to it and its been really fun to jam on it. Thanks!

this sounds very cool, right now after I select a preset, I then have to hold the middle bottom to get to the scenes. How do you enable “link layouts”, so it send you into the scenes automatically for the selected preset ? thx.

It's very easy, all in FM3 edit. Go to the foot controller page, highlight a foot switch in the preset view, and the layout link button is in the lower right area of the screen. click on that and tell it to go to layout 2, view 1. You need to do that for all 3 preset foot switches.

I think that's it, I can give you more detailed instructions later if you are struggling. I recommend backing up your layouts before messing with them.

2 presets
1. Super Verb
2. Friedman HBE. I mapped amp gain/volume to an expression pedal for smooth lead/rhy while singing.

Back
Top Bottom