What's Your Favorite Songs From The 60's?

My father, as a young adult in the early 60's was as square as square can get. I've believed for all my life that my parents were always 10 years older than their actual chronological age. I shake my head at most of his musical tastes.

However...

When I was growing up he had this one 3" BASF tape reel, a little tiny thing that was a compact jewel of psychedelic goodness per inch of tape. From memory I think it had:

In-a-gadda-da-vida
Purple Haze
White Rabbit
Somebody to Love
Born to be Wild
Maaaybe a Cream track?

I never did figure out why he had that (and I should just ask while I still can), but that was the thing that crystallized my love for weird and heavy music.

Moody Blues (more prog beginnings)

The Moody Blues were my Stepfather's room clearing move when he wanted to
be left alone. He didn't tell us until we were all older. He knew if he put it on he
could get some time to himself. It worked, especially on my brother, who was
5 years younger. When he told me, and then showed me, I watched my brother
walk out of the garage in disgust.

We both busted a gut, and knew I had been "played" in my youth, too.

:)

Last edited:
60s Movie ThemeSongs (tried keeping to standard 2, but just cannot bring myself to leave one of these tunes out -- mindless trivia -> the first 2 60s films featuring Dustin Hoffman both end with a scene on a bus and the 3rd great movie starts with a scene on a bus)

My old man came home one day with Let It Be on 8 track. He only listened to C&W and 50's RnR. I was like, "Who is this man, and what have you done with my father?"

The Beatles Get Back on the rooftop:

I seem to be stuck on 1966. Here's Nancy Sinatra with "Bang Bang". This song is timeless. Love playing this on guitar, so simple and effective.

was thinking of putting some Frank here, but this one from Nancy is a much better call - what's the guitar effect? Rotary? When I think of her the first one that comes to mind is "These Boots Were Made for Walkin". The movie KillBill had an awesome version of Bang Bang in it.

My old man came home one day with Let It Be on 8 track. He only listened to C&W and 50's RnR. I was like, "Who is this man, and what have you done with my father?"

The Beatles Get Back on the rooftop:

reminds me, I gotta get Disney for a month so I can see that movie.

was thinking of putting some Frank here, but this one from Nancy is a much better call - what's the guitar effect? Rotary? When I think of her the first one that comes to mind is "These Boots Were Made for Walkin". The movie KillBill had an awesome version of Bang Bang in it.
I use a fairly fast tremolo and plenty of reverb. That link I posted isn't the best audio quality, but in others it sounds to me like a fast trem/vibrato.

Here's one with better audio and you can hear what I mean.

I seem to be stuck on 1966. Here's Nancy Sinatra with "Bang Bang". This song is timeless. Love playing this on guitar, so simple and effective.

Well, that's really dark. Being Frank's oldest daughter I wonder how many mysterious and unexplained gunshots she heard
in the middle of the night.

Cool tune. :)

Back
Top Bottom