whats wrong with my Axe Fx?

ok so I think my axe fx ii may be breaking down :(

today, my band had practice, so I packed up my axe fx like normal and brought it to practice. got to practice, plugged it in and 2 problems quickly showed up.

1) Midi input doesnt work. dont know 100% for sure if its the axe fx, the cable or the FBC1010. I also dont have a way to isolate the problem whch is a little frustrating.

2) Metronome is always clicking even when the function is turned off in the tempo menu. speed also changes according to any adjustments I make on the BPM dial.

things Ive tried to resolve the issues:

-restart EVERYTHING.
-reset system parameters
-swap all my 1/4" cables

I havent gotten the chance to see if the metrnome clicks come through the headphone output too.

also, my band has a pretty big show this sunday, so Im hoping I can fix the issues, and also hope nothing gets worse :(

also, my axe fx has ALWAYS been in an SKB 2u wireless mic rack case (essentially a soft 2u rack case but with a wooden core that actually provides protection)

Isolate each element and go from there.

Step 1: Do you have issues once you pull the midi cable out of the Axe-FX? Can you try another Midi cable? (*Note: always have a back up of everything).

You mention that the metronome is on; but it's off on the Axe-FX. That means, IMHO, that something is turning the metronome on. Does it turn on if you don't have the midi controller pedal plugged in and change presets with the preset selection knob on the Axe-FX instead?

the problem being, I cant isolate each problem fully. for example with the midi. I only have the one midi cable and controller, and dont have access to spares. I know I can manually change patches with the front face buttons, and I know the lights are changing on the FCB when I press the button on the floor controller but thats all I know right now.

the metronome I can probably isolate a bit better, and I for sure will be working on isolating that better

Hopefully this doesn't confuse matters but my FCB did this sometimes. I had to plug the midi cable in and turn the FCB on, then the AXE FX on in a certain order to solve it.

yea, both problems seem to be stemming from the midi. played my unit for a few hours today no issues at all.

now I have to figure out the other half

MIDI cables are really cheap. At least the 5-pins are. Buy four. Two short and two long ones. And whatever you need to leave at home. Nowadays they have them in really nice colors too. Differentiates them from the spaghetti bowl that usually populates the back of the stage.

Back
Top Bottom