What's with the fan noise?

surfeast

First impression. This thing is noisy and not for a studio since the fan noise is so loud, Did not see any comments on this so am I the only one it bothers?

There are a good amount of long threads about this. I'll sum it up. It's a mix of your ear sensitivity and luck of the draw. Some users can't hear it, some users go insane. Changing it is not a good idea unless you get a fan that can perform as well as be quiet which some have discovered to have hyped stats by the companies that make them. If you wanna change it, be very careful as the screws strip easily and you don't wanna damage your axe baby. You can always turn up the volume as most of us would suggest ;)

Reactions: jon
Thanks: Luck of draw meaning some units are quieter than others? Put me in the insane category as I will put a db meter on it bet it is at least 40-50 db. I have a hard time believing 2500.00 can't make this thing quiet, I will have to return it based on the noise alone.

Yeah some fans are louder than others. All ears are different as well. I think you should earnestly try the more volume thing. I don't mean pants flapping, bone crunching loud, but like as if you were doing a mix. Also, try having the axe further away from you. Unless you tweak using the GUI like I do all the time.

I just hooked this up an hour ago for the first time and went back and listened to the fan and it sounds like some one is vacuuming back and forth all be it quieter than a vacuum but the oscillation is killing me. I will record it and post.

I just hooked this up an hour ago for the first time and went back and listened to the fan and it sounds like some one is vacuuming back and forth all be it quieter than a vacuum but the oscillation is killing me. I will record it and post.
if I remember right, some users did report some oscillating fans. I can't remember what the fix was. Try looking it up as I remember a thread about it. I'll take a look as well.

Is a fan that sounds like its speeding up and slowing down normal? My axe2 does that all the time.

My AXFX2 internal fan also has that whirring, oscillating sound. Like it's increasing and decreasing in RPM. Kinda stuttering like an old Mustang in need of labor and parts. It's a bit distracting as well, but nothing a loud cranked up amp can't drown out. I will probably ask for a replacement fan as well just in case it can be rectified with a simple swap.

I'm getting nervous as I await my coupon - for a 2+k$ unit, I should get a reasonably quiet fan - if a lot of noisy oscillating fans are showing up it's a quality control issue and would be looked at and corrected I would expect. Since Fractal is offering replacements - I guess it being looked after.

I'm getting nervous as I await my coupon - for a 2+k$ unit, I should get a reasonably quiet fan - if a lot of noisy oscillating fans are showing up it's a quality control issue and would be looked at and corrected I would expect. Since Fractal is offering replacements - I guess it being looked after.
hey even though there's high quality control from FAS or any company who actually can give the attention and care to their products doesn't mean stuff can't happen. There's always gonna be duds or stuff that doesn't perform as expected or to what the specs say.

I haven't found that the axe fx 2 is much worse than the ultra I had but I can appreciate why some would be apprehensive. I've always found that the only way I am ever happy with the noise of a unit is to move it into a closet or something similar which is not always practical for obvious reasons.. but the Axe FX 2 may end up in there soon as for control, between axe edit and the mfc I don't really need the actual physical unit to be in reach anymore.

I would bet it's quality control on the fans themselves-Not sure if that's what you meant. You buy a 1,000+ and get a couple of losers that don't show up on a quick run at first. Just a guess.

I would bet it's quality control on the fans themselves-Not sure if that's what you meant. You buy a 1,000+ and get a couple of losers that don't show up on a quick run at first. Just a guess.

I meant that the number of loud fans getting through seems to be high, though it's hard to determine that from the posts here which can be decieving - we don't really have the stats. As you say, it's likely the fan manufacturer that may have a problem but FAS should address that with the supplier. I think my expectations for a unit like this are higher since there are no service dealers and I'm buying it in another country (Canada). Anything defective can get expensive and time consuming quickly given shipping costs. I'm not one to want to change out parts myself either. I'm hoping of the same quality I got with my Ultra which has been rock solid for 2.5 years. The only problem I've had is with the Value knob (many have this issue - might be software related) but I control the Axe with my PC so that's no big deal to me.

One good thing about upgrading from Ultra to AX-II late is that these kinds of issues have likely already been flushed out and corrected in the manufacture process.

Back
Top Bottom