What's with the fan noise?

I just received a new unit about 2 weeks ago and noticed the change. Not sure when the exact date this was implemented.

Have you opened it up? If you do, take a pic. I am curious if they really put in a 80mm and how they seated it. I did my own mod and its quiet so it is no biggie to me. Just curiosity.

Have you opened it up? If you do, take a pic. I am curious if they really put in a 80mm and how they seated it. I did my own mod and its quiet so it is no biggie to me. Just curiosity.

Yeah, I took the lid off and checked it out. It's all racked up at the moment but it's mounted like the old fan just a bigger fan. I don't recall the rubber grommets like the 60mm had but maybe I just didn't notice.

Yeah, I took the lid off and checked it out. It's all racked up at the moment but it's mounted like the old fan just a bigger fan. I don't recall the rubber grommets like the 60mm had but maybe I just didn't notice.

Thanks!

My AxeII must be quieter than the Ultra. Did not take notice of any sound at all. Not playing loud at all.

I received mine on Monday and it definitely has a "high-pitched resonance" to it. I did notice that lightly pushing down on the left rear area on top of the unit reduced or eliminated the noise. I suppose having it as the only unit in a 4-space rack doesn't help any either. I don't really notice it at all if I'm playing, even at low volumes, but if the unit is sitting idle in the room I notice it.

All the new units ship with an 80mm fan. The original fan is 60mm. This has quieted the fan noise down considerably. So they do listen.

After 5 years and after releasing a new model? That's not the most laudable example of listening. I know these guys work hard, and are great, I just think they're a little monomaniacal on the subject of modeling, and everything else suffers at times.

To clear matters up: I just go an Axe FX II and the fan is very quiet. However, I had a friend come over to help me edit because he has had his for longer than me. His first comment was that my fan was very quiet. His fan is a lot louder than mine. I guess the units are not all equipped with exactly the same fan. I'm glad I got a quiet one.

mine's damn loud also, the fan in my standard wasn't even audible. nothing seroius, still i'm wondering why it is so loud.

Could guys here with a silent fan tell us which brand/model is installed in their axefx2 ?

Is this change across the board or as a retrofit by G66 as was reported some time ago? Anyone able to compare the installation to the smaller fan?

To be honest the fan not only irritates me to no end, it create problems with annoying others in creative situations, and that reflects badly on both the Axe and my choice to use it.

I know this subject has been covered a thousand times, but there is a reason for that.

Is this change across the board or as a retrofit by G66 as was reported some time ago? Anyone able to compare the installation to the smaller fan?

To be honest the fan not only irritates me to no end, it create problems with annoying others in creative situations, and that reflects badly on both the Axe and my choice to use it.

I know this subject has been covered a thousand times, but there is a reason for that.

Amen. This is a genuine issue for some of us, and a redesign of the chassis/venting/heat sinking would have obviated the need for retrofits. At this point, there may not be a solution - no fan may be quiet enough and move air enough, given the current chassis design...

Back
Top Bottom