What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

I do not go FOH (no need for the small clubs I play in) .

I think this statement is worth noting.

I play in a cover band as well.

For my situation, I am equally concerned about FOH as I am my stage tone.
I have a big PA, and play (some) big rooms. Only the people within 10 feet of stage can hear my on stage amp.
90% of the people in the room only hear my FOH tone.
For this reason, FRFR works best for me.
Why? Because I dial my patches on a flat system, and I am sending the same signal to my on stage monitor and FOH.
I'm hearing what the audience is hearing, and I know if I like it....then there is a good representation of me going out through FOH.

Until there is a nice IR of the Matrix NL12, that type of solution would not work for me.
I am still interested to try one (really want to hear what all the buzz is about)....but would need an IR before I could gig with it.

Why? There is a need for amplification not just for personal monitoring in small venues going over a PA-system is overkill. Beside that, please try to understand there is always another opinion - nothing is "worth nothing", unless stupids, spammers and dumbf***s but we don't have such folks here.....
;) Relax and enjoy :)

Reactions: LVC
Worth nothing is not true.

It is worth something to me!
Although i do not use the axe fx the way some others do doesn't mean i can't learn anything out of it.

I was wondering how the matrix was used, because i felt it was neither frfr nor a real cabinet.
But something in between.

That is why was asking about it.
He took time to explain his setup and i understand a bit more of the matrix now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a big PA, and play (some) big rooms. Only the people within 10 feet of stage can hear my on stage amp.
Why? Because I dial my patches on a flat system, and I am sending the same signal to my on stage monitor and FOH.
I'm hearing what the audience is hearing, and I know if I like it....then there is a good representation of me going out through FOH.

My practices also

John

Like I said it is worth noting that for most rooms I play in --- having $3,000 worth of powered monitors just so I can hear why I put into the axe (god I love that statement. Bullshit is sometimes priceless) in the band space we are "allocated" to play in at the club (99% of clubs no stage) IMO is an overkill (at least for me).

However when I have played weddings or large festivals the past, I mike my cabs. Hoping next year when I do these gigs to go FOH with the AXE -- however, I still want my rig to sound like a real amp and not a "miked" rig on stage.

Here is a picture of my set up at a festival we played at a couple of years ago (over 3,000 people).

PS the amp I am using is a 30 watt Carol Ann OD2R. Filled the stage area and sounded absolutely glorious miked.

IMG_0557_zpsb2bb9114.jpg

PS on that gig ... mid July... It was smoking hot. No worries the promoter gave us our personal R2D2 air conditioning units.

Can we say ... awesome!

IMG_0558_zps022da5cc.jpg

To me I think it is insane to spend $3000 on a couple of wedges for the typical club gigs most of us do.

The majority of the club gigs I do the band is on the floor and folks are dance in front of us (no stage to separate from dancers).

All it takes is one person to spill a drink on one of your $1,500 powered wedges to ruin your night and bank account.

Until there is a nice IR of the Matrix NL12, that type of solution would not work for me.
I am still interested to try one (really want to hear what all the buzz is about)....but would need an IR before I could gig with it.

Last edited:
Why? There is a need for amplification not just for personal monitoring in small venues going over a PA-system is overkill. Beside that, please try to understand there is always another opinion - nothing is "worth nothing", unless stupids, spammers and dumbf***s but we don't have such folks here.....
;) Relax and enjoy :)

Sorry if you misunderstood....but I wasnt' saying it was worth 'nothing', I was saying it was worth 'noting'.

Reason:
But it seems to me that the FOH sound is more important then your own stagesound?
@inbouwer was asking about the importance of the FOH sound being important.

But...
I do not go FOH (no need for the small clubs I play in)
LVC is saying that he does not go FOH (and for gigs when he does, he prefers mic'ing his cabs).

It was worth 'noting' that the two users seemed to have different goals/needs.

Yes, that is a bit of a red cheek moment.....

My language is Dutch and english with hand and feet,
So if you read it you just think it was a type error.....

Sorry for that too......

But i'm noting it ;-)

LVC is saying that he does not go FOH (and for gigs when he does, he prefers mic'ing his cabs)..

Not entirely correct.

Yes in the past I have miked my cabs when I did weddings and festivals. I also did not use the Axe-FX on any of those dates.

In 2014 I already have several wedding on the books.

I plan to use the Axe-FX on those dates.

I will be using the Matrix GT1000FX and the NL12s for my stage sound (no IRs) and will be sending a separate feed (with IR) to FOH.

Even if I pick up a pair of the Seismic Audio SAX-12M-PW wedges -- I will just use them at home. for gigs I will continue using the NL12s.

I just prefer the sound and feel of "real" over "miked".

Last edited:
Very cool.
Are you capturing an IR of the NL12?

Hopefully when wedding season comes around one will be available.

If not I will use the Fractal Stock IRs I used with my Q12 which sounded great.

No biggie

Actually don't 90% of people in the room only hear your FOH tone and whatever the sound guy decides to do with it to make it sit in the mix?

Actually don't 90% of people in the room only hear your FOH tone and whatever the sound guy decides to do with it to make it sit in the mix?

To make it shit in the mix?? :)

That has happened to me too often, i now tell them to leave the eq alone.
And sometimes they do!

Seems like the topic may have changed towards the end of the thread here (didn't read it all), but I thought I would point out the review I posted a while back about the Matrix amps in case it was helpful. I have a GT1000FX now, but everything I said then still applies to this model.

I agree with him! ...

The weakest link with powered FRFR monitors is the amp.

I also agree with him that tubes rule -- end of story as far as I am concerned

However, once he or someone else comes out with a great (super clean/great headroom) tube amp for the Axe-FX that you can actually use on a gig (no FOH) and has similar price, size and weight specs to the Matrix -- I am there.

I would buy that tube amp now!!!!!

But sadly the amp I am talking about does not exist...

which leaves the Matrix as the only (not made in China) high performance amp designed for the Axe-FX with the size, weight, power, tone, feel .. and price that matter to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom