What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

The weakest link with powered FRFR monitors is the amp.

Having kept up on the thread I think I understand your context for this statement. Strictly speaking however (IMHO), the physical transducer (i.e. speaker) is the weakest link in a sound reinforcement system. It is common for example, to find an amp that will cover the range of human hearing with a variation of +- 0.5dB or less. A speaker with a variation of +-2.0dB on the other hand, is not as easy to find.

Terry.

Why I abandonden tubes and went to the Matrix as a power-house is because I have much larger control over the whole frequency-band when letting my Axe control it.

Having kept up on the thread I think I understand your context for this statement. Strictly speaking however (IMHO), the physical transducer (i.e. speaker) is the weakest link in a sound reinforcement system. It is common for example, to find an amp that will cover the range of human hearing with a variation of +- 0.5dB or less. A speaker with a variation of +-2.0dB on the other hand, is not as easy to find.

Terry.

Based on my personal experience I agree with Fryette ... amps are the weakest link when it comes to powered FRFR monitors. I also agree with him that a well made tube amp will crush an ss amp any day of the week.

Unfortunately there are no tube amps available now or in the near future (that I am aware) that match the size, weight and power specs of the Matrix. Also the Matrix is designed and maunfactered in the UK NOT China!

I am personally more comfortable buying higher end music gear if it is made in the USA (point that he made) , or Europe rather than in Asia.

Strictly speaking however (IMHO), the physical transducer (i.e. speaker) is the weakest link in a sound reinforcement system. It is common for example, to find an amp that will cover the range of human hearing with a variation of +- 0.5dB or less. A speaker with a variation of +-2.0dB on the other hand, is not as easy to find.

Based on my personal experience I agree with Fryette ... amps are the weakest link when it comes to powered FRFR monitors.

I read through the Fryette post you linked to earlier and I didn't find anything that disagrees with my contention that the transducer (speaker) is the weakest link in a FRFR system. Can you quote the text you're referring to?

Terry.

I read through the Fryette post you linked to earlier and I didn't find anything that disagrees with my contention that the transducer (speaker) is the weakest link in a FRFR system. Can you quote the text you're referring to?

Terry.

I am not sure how speakers got into the mix ... all I am saying is that I agree with Fryette that SS amps in FRFR monitors are the weakest link in the chain ... and to be careful of amps made in China.

there are only 4 references to speakers in his post -- none relate to your post and contention -- so again I am a little confused by your post.

Last edited:
I am personally more comfortable buying higher end music gear if it is made in the USA (point that he made) , or Europe rather than in Asia.

Is this due reputational standpoint of Chinese stuff being poorly made, which the Chinese are trying to put in the past; or is it because the US debt to China is $16,740,000,000,000* (at Oct '13) and you'd rather support the US economy?

*Please pardon all the zeroes; however, I know that a million, million = a trillion, but not so long ago, we in the UK would call that a billion. I suppose a billion isn't worth that much anymore.

Is this due reputational standpoint of Chinese stuff being poorly made, which the Chinese are trying to put in the past; or is it because the US debt to China is $16,740,000,000,000* (at Oct '13) and you'd rather support the US economy?

*Please pardon all the zeroes; however, I know that a million, million = a trillion, but not so long ago, we in the UK would call that a billion. I suppose a billion isn't worth that much anymore.

Never had much luck with the few Chinese/Asian made gear I have purchased in the past.

I am certainly not going to take the same chance with a "4" figure music gear investment (especially if I know in advance where it is made).

Not going to happen.

I rather give my business to U.S. or European manufacturers I trust.

Personal preference -- no politics or agenda -- just past experience.

Again ... I agree with Fryette on this point as well.

Last edited:
I am not sure how speakers got into the mix ... all I am saying is that I agree with Fryette that SS amps in FRFR monitors are the weakest link in the chain ... and to be careful of amps made in China.

there are only 4 references to speakers in his post -- none relate to your post and contention -- so again I am a little confused by your post.

It seems we're both confused. I took your statement below literally. My comments were based on a "powered FRFR monitor" as consisting of speakers, an amp, a cabinet, cables, connectors, etc. You were focused on the power amp only. We're talking across one another.

The weakest link with powered FRFR monitors is the amp.

Terry.

It seems we're both confused. I took your statement below literally. My comments were based on a "powered FRFR monitor" as consisting of speakers, an amp, a cabinet, cables, connectors, etc. You were focused on the power amp only. We're talking across one another.

Terry.

No worries bro ... it is all good!

BTW, I don't think there's any reason why a lighter weight class A/B tube amp couldn't be made. Put a switching power supply in there, design a lighter weight toroid output transformer, and while it won't be as light or efficient as a class D solid state module, it'll be easily half the weight of a regular tube amp. Too bad the primary clientele for this stuff is incredibly conservative. We keep going over whether class D is audibly different wrt class AB, and I bet dollars to donuts, no one on this forum will be able to tell apart the class of a properly made (that is, linear, low THD) solid state amp of any class in a double blind test, driving the same speaker. :lol

This is kind of like the current situation with vacuum cleaners. They can be made much quieter, lighter, and smaller than they are, yet people keep buying big ass noisy vacuums because they associate noise with suction. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
keep going over whether class D is audibly different wrt class AB, and I bet dollars to donuts, no one on this forum will be able to tell apart the class of a properly made (that is, linear, low THD) solid state amp of any class in a double blind test, driving the same speaker. :lol

Sadly I agree with you....

I think a large segment of modeler users are "Millennials" that have grown up in a "digital is the norm" world. Most with little to no exposure to analog. Whereas folks that fall into Baby Boomer and early Gen X age groups typically have a deeper appreciation and "awareness" of analog goodness and are more sensitive (sound/tone/feel/experience) to the differences of analog vs digital..

I think the main reason you are seeing a lot of "boomers" finally embracing the AXE-FX II is because it now sounds and responds more like a real tube amp.

The Matrix GT1000FX coupled with a real cab provides the missing piece of the "analog" puzzle by delivering the "in the room" experience that is lacking in FRFR powered monitors.

Last edited:
I think a large segment of modeler users are "Millennials" that have grown up in a "digital is the norm" world. Most with little to no exposure to analog. Whereas folks that fall into Baby Boomer and early Gen X age groups typically have a deeper appreciation and "awareness" of analog goodness and are more sensitive (sound/tone/feel/experience) to the differences of analog vs digital..

I think the main reason you are seeing a lot of "boomers" finally embracing the AXE-FX II is because it now sounds and responds more like a real tube amp.

Agreed. It's not a case of one being better than the other either. It's just that digital modelling has come to the point where there are so many options and, as another poster said, an 'embarrassment of riches' that new millenial users may not stick with an amp and utilise it, preferring to switch amps immediately that they find that the sound isn't there. You can't exactly do that with a 32kg combo, so a better appreciation of the individual amps would be developed by the older users, purely from the fact that this was the only amp they had.

Previous attempts at modelling gave the user a sound that wasn't as dynamic and responsive as an valve amp, but if that's all you know, that's what you get used to, and some users would prefer that kind of sound. Horses for courses, and all of that.

It's not really a case of analogue vs. digital, because one really isn't 'better' than the other because better is subjective. It's a case of what a person is psychologically used to.

Reactions: LVC
Agree with everything you said.

analog vs digital is of course personal. I have seen some posts on this forum where people wanted to get back to earlier FW in order to get a "process sound" and get away from the realism of the current FW.

My current rig is about as close as I am going to get to a true analog in room tone, feel and experience and it sounds incredible.

My issue is weight. My back is getting worse and as much as I am trying to avoid it -- I will mostly likely get at least one knee replaced this year (need both). I've had 6 knee surgeries -- my last one was in Sept.

My rack weighs a ton (about as much if not more than a combo amp)
My board weighs a ton (way more than my traditional pedalboard)

the only thing light weight in my rig are my two NL12 cabs.:lol

I did around 30 or so gigs in 2013 with the Axe-FX.

Next year I plan to mix things up a bit and start brining out some of my small combo tube amps to gigs with a small pedalboard and on some of the gigs use the NL12s as extension cabs.

Could be dangerous ....

Agreed. It's not a case of one being better than the other either. It's just that digital modelling has come to the point where there are so many options and, as another poster said, an 'embarrassment of riches' that new millenial users may not stick with an amp and utilise it, preferring to switch amps immediately that they find that the sound isn't there. You can't exactly do that with a 32kg combo, so a better appreciation of the individual amps would be developed by the older users, purely from the fact that this was the only amp they had.

Previous attempts at modelling gave the user a sound that wasn't as dynamic and responsive as an valve amp, but if that's all you know, that's what you get used to, and some users would prefer that kind of sound. Horses for courses, and all of that.

It's not really a case of analogue vs. digital, because one really isn't 'better' than the other because better is subjective. It's a case of what a person is psychologically used to.

Last edited:
I have been gigging for over 40 years with tube amps. I did not come of age in the Pod era ....:lol
This line actually sold me! I am in the same dilemma but your comments here lend all the credibility I need. It's too bad there are only like, 3 of these on eBay and Reverb right now. And they are sold out through Matrix...

This line actually sold me! I am in the same dilemma but your comments here lend all the credibility I need. It's too bad there are only like, 3 of these on eBay and Reverb right now. And they are sold out through Matrix...

Not ten years to me. Just got my Axe FX and the problem is just as real to me not.

I actually just found this doing a search on the GT1000. Good thing I found it! Now, I just have to find one!
Yea I love mine. Got one almost 7 years ago. GT1600FX and a couple of FR212's and haven't looked back.

Back
Top Bottom