What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

P

plexi59

I see people are buying GT1000's left and right to run with their Axe, and I wonder what's so special about it, if anything? Why not get a Crown or a QSC? Bigger names, about the same money, undisputed quality and reliability.

Could someone explain?

1. 1 RU
  2. light weight 8 pounds
  3. Powerful
  4. Does not color your tone
  5. Designed to work with Axe-FX
  6. Optimized for guitar amplification
  7. Works great with either FRFR or real cabs
  8. Imparts valve feel not found in other SS amps
  9. Class AB, MOSFET amplifier!!!!!!!!
  10. Protection circuitry
  11. Flexible connections
  12. Reliable
  13. Proven workhorse
  14. Used extensively by well recognized pro players

But most importantly .... it sounds awesome!

and yes it glows orange and looks very cool!

Exactly what LVC said!!! :encouragement:

1. 1 RU
  2. light weight 8 pounds
  3. Powerful
  4. Does not color your tone
  5. Designed to work with Axe-FX
  6. Optimized for guitar amplification
  7. Works great with either FRFR or real cabs
  8. Imparts valve feel not found in other SS amps
  9. Class AB, MOSFET amplifier!!!!!!!!
  10. Protection circuitry
  11. Flexible connections
  12. Reliable
  13. Proven workhorse
  14. Used extensively by well recognized pro players

But most importantly .... it sounds awesome!

and yes it glows orange and looks very cool!

Ended up getting a used QSC PLX 1804 for half the money. Enough power to demolish my house. I don't think Matrix can be any more linear or reliable than a QSC, and MOSFET vs bipolar shouldn't matter since these amps have tons of negative feedback anyway, to get that frequency linearity and low THD they boast about. And other than a graph of frequency response I couldn't find any other specs on the Matrix web site.

Ended up getting a used QSC PLX 1804 for half the money. Enough power to demolish my house. I don't think Matrix can be any more linear or reliable than a QSC, and MOSFET vs bipolar shouldn't matter since these amps have tons of negative feedback anyway, to get that frequency linearity and low THD they boast about. And other than a graph of frequency response I couldn't find any other specs on the Matrix web site.

Glad you got a great deal on a used one. QSC makes great amps!

However, brand new they cost the same as the Matrix GT1000FX.

QSC PLX1804 Power Amplifier, Dual Channel, 900W per channel @ 4 ohms, PLX-1804 | Full Compass

Besides other "technical" differences and the fact that the Matrix is designed for guitar playing and to be used with the Axe-Fx, the QSC PLX 1804 is 2U and 13 pounds vs 1U and 8 pounds for the Matrix GT1000FX.

Im still considering picking up the carvin dcm1540. its 2U though. But the price is nice. I'm also waiting on Fryette to release their 1u tube power amp.

I just can't justify the 700 (used) price of the gt1000 right now for myself. Especially when waiting on the fryette. I need something though. My backup 44 magnum isn't good enough for main usage. The matrix has a lot going for it though. 1u, lightweight and powerful.

Im still considering picking up the carvin dcm1540. its 2U though. But the price is nice. I'm also waiting on Fryette to release their 1u tube power amp.

I just can't justify the 700 (used) price of the gt1000 right now for myself. Especially when waiting on the fryette. I need something though. My backup 44 magnum isn't good enough for main usage. The matrix has a lot going for it though. 1u, lightweight and powerful.

I used to play a QSC RMX850 or something. It got the job done, but left alot to be desired. Always felt like no matter how loud it was, it wasn't...loud in the band.

Besides other "technical" differences and the fact that the Matrix is designed for guitar playing and to be used with the Axe-Fx

Can you elaborate on this? What is it about the Matrix that is guitar friendly or Axe-Fx friendly?

Terry.

1. Imparts valve feel not found in other SS amps

This is the only item on your list that is a bit of a stretch.

Have you tried every SS amp?
Have you tried a Bryston? Older Crown or Ashley?

Matrix has some outstanding features and is obviously well suited for the Axe.
But to say that it has a feel not found in other SS amps is a lofty statement.

Does not color your tone
Cliff said:
Note that the Matrix power amps aren't really flat response. They are a bit tube-like so they will emphasize the speaker's impedance. So you may need to compensate a bit in your patches.
Cliff said:
Matrix amps are not neutral. They emphasize the lows and highs. You will need to compensate for this.
Which does not mean he doesn't like 'em ;)

Can you elaborate on this? What is it about the Matrix that is guitar friendly or Axe-Fx friendly?

Terry.

It is designed for Axe and guitar. I can attest to that. It gives you more of a valve amp feel when going through a FRFR monitor. With a real cab (in my case the NL12) it just kills. I come from the tube world ... and it just works for me.

From the Matrix website

"... The GT1000FX is a lightweight 1U format stereo rack mount power amplifier designed specifically for use by guitarists that builds on the Matrix heritage. The GT1000FX is designed with a full range of guitar products in mind, from modellers to valve pre-amps, pre-amp pedals, "slaving" traditional amplifiers and the newer mini-amps with line outputs. Whilst still delivering the same flat response as the GT800FX, the GT1000FX has been modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier, giving a "looser" feel and a more open sound that we genuinely believe to be the closest a solid state amp has come to valves! We've not just improved the sound either but also managed to cram another 200 Watts under the hood whilst still keeping the weight at an unbelievable 3.7kg. That's 1000 watts in bridged mode at 8ohms and a mammoth 650W at 16 ohms! Dual speed fans ensure that the amplifier stays cool with even all that power, under the most demanding conditions. Neutrik combi 1/4 inch/XLR inputs and combi 1/4inch/Speakon outputs give you maximum flexibilty in how you connect the GT1000FX. We've also added a dedicated output for bridged mode, so no special cables are necessary to deliver the full mono power of the amplifier into any impedance of 8 ohms or over. The GT1000FX still has the same ability to handle all impedances 4 ohms and over including mis-matched loads giving you the widest choice when using your favourite cabs and speakers. Running a 2x12 cab with an 8 ohm and 16 ohm speaker in mono or running a 4 ohm cab on one side and a 16 ohm cab on the other in stereo mode is no problem for the GT1000FX! The amplifier features extensive protection circuitry ensuring it is protected from loudspeaker short circuits and miswiring as well as indicators for protection, bridged-mode and signal lights showing the output signal strength. The Matrix GT1000FX takes the Matrix line of products to a whole new level, way beyond 11....."

This is the only item on your list that is a bit of a stretch.

Have you tried every SS amp?
Have you tried a Bryston? Older Crown or Ashley?

Nope -- no need to. I am perfectly happy with what I have. It works splendidly for me.

I have been gigging for over 40 years with tube amps. I did not come of age in the Pod era ....:lol

Which does not mean he doesn't like 'em ;)

My comments are based on the GT1000FX not the GT800FX.

From my perspective I don't think it colors your tone in any significant way (like a tube amp does). However, again from my perspective .. when coupled with a passive FRFR (in my case the Q12) it sounded and felt better than any powered monitor I used.

The Gt1000FX with the Matrix NL12 is just off the charts crazy good. As far as the Axe goes ... I am done. My current set up (GT1000FX/NL12) is golden!

I had a Carvin DCM200L but the Matrix sounded way better. I don't know why, but it really does. More clean, more natural, more open.
Maybe it's Class-D vs. Class-AB. Even my girlfriend heard the difference.

>> Matrix is designed for guitar playing

See, I don't understand what that means, exactly. I understand what this means in a tube amp (high frequency roll-off, loose negative feedback loop to get gentle compression when cranked), but not in a solid state, linear one. And they don't have any specs other than power rating, so I can't tell. Therefore, it just sounds like marketing bullshit to me.

Back
Top Bottom