What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

Comments like this really puzzle me.

We are not talking about loud guitar sounds. Not even close. Not sure what kind of gigs your are use to playing but in the clubs I play, if the folks sitting having dinner or cocktails in the tables beyond the band stand can't have a conversation, the club owner/manager will tell you to turn it down -- if you persist you will not be booked again.

Getting a great live sound from an amp and playing great music does not mean you have to play loud -- not even close my friend.

*sticks his head above the parapet*

Thia is where I was coming from....

*ducks down back to munch popcorn and bananas*

LVC: so if the product has the same price but it has matrix in it then it's not overpriced?
LOL

what?

Dude you are really grasping at straws .

Let me break it down for you -- if I was to buy a monitor with a built in amp (which I will never do again) I would buy one with an amp that I know I would like, namely the Matrix.

However, I prefer to have an amp in my rack driving my cabs.

Makes no sense to me to go through the expense of buying one or two amps for one purpose when I can buy one amp for multiple purposes.

Is this clear or do I need to get the sign language guy from the Mandela Memorial to spell it out for you? :lol

Last edited:
However, I prefer to have an amp in my rack driving my cabs.

Makes no sense to me to go through the expense of buying one or two amps for one purpose when I can buy one amp for multiple

If you're going with passive cabs (and already own a power amp), then I agree, Xitone is a much cheaper option.
Matrix and CLR are $750....xitone $500.
You could buy 3 xitone and do a w-d-w rig for the same price as matrix/CLR stereo set up. (Assuming you have the amps)

All great options though....

Reactions: LVC
On what basis do you make this claim?
How do guitar cabinets "complicate" matters when using a ss power amp?

Any interactions that a real tube power amp would have with a guitar cabinet are supposedly modelled in the Spkr page of the Amp Block..

Hi Joe

I knew it was a mistake to get involved in this thread :D

You're right, in that context it doesn't matter in terms of power-amp interaction.

I came at this thread more to comment on Matrix that the Axe. I use my Axe in the studio (and am very happy with its power amp simulation) but have been toying with reusing some older gear for rehearsal/live duties. One of the things I wanted to avoid was a tube power amp and as someone who believes it is perfectly possible to create a SS guitar-oriented (current-mode) power amp, I was intrigued by the Matrix. The marketing suggested it was designed for guitar use and is clearly SS so I got quite excited (this is going back a while). I could get one of these and use it with traditional pre-amp, guitar cabs setup but without some much weight!

However, as time went on, it became clear that the Matrix product is essentially a linear SS power-amp rather than what I expected. Comments from users here, other places and from the manufacturer seemed to suggest it had certain magical properties where it had all the attributes of a great PA amp but with some additional mojo, however, as has been said earlier in this thread, we don't know what contributes to that mojo is said mojo even exists :D

Then I found the Retrochannel product and this seemed to be what I thought the Matrix was. To me this is real innovation. A SS version of a tube power amp that sounds great. So I kind of got involved to mention it in this thread in the context that here is a real SS amp that really does have the mojo :D Even though it probably isn't any good for FRFR :mrgreen

Finally, I wanted to raise the point, again, in context with amp design (given people were discussing various output topologies in context with how these might contribute to the sound) that what probably makes the greatest difference for guitar-oriented use is not whether it's class A, B, AB, D, G, H, T, S or whatever but how the output stage drives the speaker and reacts to speaker impedance changes, etc. And as we've seen with the Retrochannel and I guess some of those 80s guitar-oriented power amp designs such as Valvestate, MOSValve (did I remember that correctly?), this doesn't have to be done with tubes/valves.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion. Back to FRFR & Matrix ;)

Well at least the bands I play in have drummers. So we use earplugs because drums are loud. Also hearing yourself in balance with the drummer requires high guitar volumes where I'd use earplugs.

I think most people who use their Axe-Fx live use some sort of ear protection.

Well at least the bands I play in have drummers. So we use earplugs because drums are loud. Also hearing yourself in balance with the drummer requires high guitar volumes where I'd use earplugs.

I think most people who use their Axe-Fx live use some sort of ear protection.

I always found drummers who don't know how to control their volume extremely problematic and are typically one of the reasons band volume increases.

Fortunately we have an experienced pro drummer (plays all styles) that has incredible control over his volume.

I always found drummers who don't know how to control their volume extremely problematic and are typically one of the reasons band volume increases.

Fortunately we have an experienced pro drummer (plays all styles) that has incredible control over his volume.

So, your comments aren't as relevant to those of us that like to play above a whisper.:)

So, your comments aren't as relevant to those of us that like to play above a whisper.:)

whatever_floats_your_boat.png

Last edited:

Volume control is great but power = energy = loudness.

IMO the best drummers are pretty hard hitters. Mike Portnoy, John Otto, Travis Parker... You can especially hear it in the snare drum energy if you don't smack it.

I don't know if you're doing it on purpose but you're coming across like you think your experiences and thoughts are above what other people have experienced. I don't think it's a healthy way to have a conversation.

Not at all

Actually you come come across as not tolerant of other styles of music which is fine by me.

And with all do respect I could not care less.

I have a friend that is an all around guitar player, Jazz, classical, etc -- reads music like he was reading a comic book. He likes to play metal. Although I do not like the genre I appreciate his talents and respect him for using his talents and skills to play the style of music he enjoys.

Playing drums like guitar (especially for certain styles of music) requires control and use of dynamics. For certain styles of music having "Bam Bam" banging away on a kit works fine -- for others (i.e. jazz, R&B, soul) IMO does not.

In any event -- we again digress
facepalm.gif

Volume control is great but power = energy = loudness.

IMO the best drummers are pretty hard hitters. Mike Portnoy, John Otto, Travis Parker... You can especially hear it in the snare drum energy if you don't smack it.

I don't know if you're doing it on purpose but you're coming across like you think your experiences and thoughts are above what other people have experienced. I don't think it's a healthy way to have a conversation.

Last edited:
Well if you'd simply follow the links that I have below my name you'd know that I play quite a variety of music from soft acoustic ballads to jazz, pop/rock and modern rock/metal and I've gigged with different genres. I think I'm the one of us two who plays a bigger variety of genres and I say that because I think it's the truth and not with disrespect. You on the other hand...

And with all do respect I could not care less.

... seem to think that you're above other users here. So you can't really expect people to like what you're writing. :)

This is a thread about amps ...

If you want to discuss the ins and outs of musical styles and playing live -- open a thread in the lounge -- I will be more than happy to participate and share my limited and misguided experience with you and others.

Well if you'd simply follow the links that I have below my name you'd know that I play quite a variety of music from soft acoustic ballads to jazz, pop/rock and modern rock/metal and I've gigged with different genres. I think I'm the one of us two who plays a bigger variety of genres and I say that because I think it's the truth and not with disrespect. You on the other hand...

... seem to think that you're above other users here. So you can't really expect people to like what you're writing. :)

This is a thread about amps ...

If you want to discuss the ins and outs of musical styles ...

"Actually you come come across as not tolerant of other styles of music which is fine by me."

Laz, guess who brought up musical styles.

I am dead serious ..

I am going to get the Mandela Memorial hand sign dude on this thread just for you!!! :lol

Styles was a response to a post about having "bam bam" on the drums.

this_is_stupid_by_brixyfire-d4fojik.png

"Actually you come come across as not tolerant of other styles of music which is fine by me."

Laz, guess who brought up musical styles.

Hi Joe

I knew it was a mistake to get involved in this thread :D

You're right, in that context it doesn't matter in terms of power-amp interaction.

I came at this thread more to comment on Matrix that the Axe. I use my Axe in the studio (and am very happy with its power amp simulation) but have been toying with reusing some older gear for rehearsal/live duties. One of the things I wanted to avoid was a tube power amp and as someone who believes it is perfectly possible to create a SS guitar-oriented (current-mode) power amp, I was intrigued by the Matrix. The marketing suggested it was designed for guitar use and is clearly SS so I got quite excited (this is going back a while). I could get one of these and use it with traditional pre-amp, guitar cabs setup but without some much weight!

However, as time went on, it became clear that the Matrix product is essentially a linear SS power-amp rather than what I expected. Comments from users here, other places and from the manufacturer seemed to suggest it had certain magical properties where it had all the attributes of a great PA amp but with some additional mojo, however, as has been said earlier in this thread, we don't know what contributes to that mojo is said mojo even exists :D

Then I found the Retrochannel product and this seemed to be what I thought the Matrix was. To me this is real innovation. A SS version of a tube power amp that sounds great. So I kind of got involved to mention it in this thread in the context that here is a real SS amp that really does have the mojo :D Even though it probably isn't any good for FRFR :mrgreen

Finally, I wanted to raise the point, again, in context with amp design (given people were discussing various output topologies in context with how these might contribute to the sound) that what probably makes the greatest difference for guitar-oriented use is not whether it's class A, B, AB, D, G, H, T, S or whatever but how the output stage drives the speaker and reacts to speaker impedance changes, etc. And as we've seen with the Retrochannel and I guess some of those 80s guitar-oriented power amp designs such as Valvestate, MOSValve (did I remember that correctly?), this doesn't have to be done with tubes/valves.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion. Back to FRFR & Matrix ;)

OK.
Thanks for clarifying.
We seem to have different needs/expectations for our power amps.
I just want something that amplifies the Axe's signal as accurately as possible.
You want something that colours it.
That's no problem IMO as long as you know that that's what you're doing.

As far as the Retro Channel or the Mosvalve or the Valvestate amps actually having some sort of tube-amp-like interplay with the connected speaker, I'm not sure that's really happening.
These amps appear to simply involve circuits that mimic various aspects of tube power amp breakup.
Plus they use Mosfets which have certain tube-like characteristics as far as attack transients are concerned.

The Retro Channel is unique in that it has both Gain and Master controls so the user can mimic power tube breakup at low volume levels.
To do that with the Mosvalve (which I used to own way back when) you just had to play loud, like you would with a real tube power amp.
If the Retro Channel also had an FRFR setting, it might be a good all-round solution for pretty much anything a guitar player would want to run through it from modellers to tube preamps.
But it does not appear to have a "right setting" for FRFR operation.

So again, to my way of thinking, the folks that want some sort of tube power amp coloration and/or overdrive simply don't believe that the Axe-FX can do what Fractal says it does or they just want something other than what the Axe can do on its own.
Again, that's all fine IMO, as long as they realize that that's what they're doing.

It should also be understood though that when you run the Axe into a power amp that colours the tone, you're not just colouring the tone of the Amp Block.
You're also munging your beautiful reverbs and chorusing and everything else the Axe is doing.
The great advantage of the Fractal Amp Block, compared to almost anything that came before the Axe (except maybe the H&K Cream Machine), is that it allowed us to place our digital effects *after* any power amp overdrive we were using.
In a real tube amp with an effects loop that is pre-power-amp, any effects in the loop are distorted by the power amp if it's being driven into distortion.
Effects loops were always a compromise.
In the studio, these types of effects were always on the mixing console, post-cab-mic.
Effects loops were invented so that we could mimic that type of studio signal path when playing live.
But if your tone involves any sort of power amp breakup, an effects loop is a BIG compromise.
The architecture of the Axe eliminates that compromise, but only if you don't introduce any post-Axe-FX distortion.

In a real tube amp with an effects loop that is pre-power-amp, any effects in the loop are distorted by the power amp if it's being driven into distortion.
Effects loops were invented so that we could mimic that type of studio signal path when playing live.
But if your tone involves any sort of power amp breakup, an effects loop is a BIG compromise.
The architecture of the Axe eliminates that compromise, but only if you don't introduce any post-Axe-FX distortion.

Maybe some people use non-linear post-Axe-Fx amps because they are used to the sound of running reverb, etc, through a distorting guitar power amp? I don't know - just tossing it out there.

Because at the end of the day it is your that ear that tells you if something sounds good or bad to you. All the specs, charts and powerpoint slides in the world is not going to change that.

ok I think i get it, we want two fundamentally different things, which is fine.

YOU want a guitar sound that YOUR ears like no matter how deficient it may be.

MY ears want good guitar sounds regardless of my own subjective option.

No matter how happy I may be with a given tone, there is no wayI could be foolish or arrogant enough to believe my ears, after blown out from stages all over the world, can somehow reach a guitar sound better than concrete scientific data will lead me to.

OK.
Thanks for clarifying.
We seem to have different needs/expectations for our power amps.
I just want something that amplifies the Axe's signal as accurately as possible.
You want something that colours it.
That's no problem IMO as long as you know that that's what you're doing.

As far as the Retro Channel or the Mosvalve or the Valvestate amps actually having some sort of tube-amp-like interplay with the connected speaker, I'm not sure that's really happening.
These amps appear to simply involve circuits that mimic various aspects of tube power amp breakup.
Plus they use Mosfets which have certain tube-like characteristics as far as attack transients are concerned.

The Retro Channel is unique in that it has both Gain and Master controls so the user can mimic power tube breakup at low volume levels.
To do that with the Mosvalve (which I used to own way back when) you just had to play loud, like you would with a real tube power amp.
If the Retro Channel also had an FRFR setting, it might be a good all-round solution for pretty much anything a guitar player would want to run through it from modellers to tube preamps.
But it does not appear to have a "right setting" for FRFR operation.

So again, to my way of thinking, the folks that want some sort of tube power amp coloration and/or overdrive simply don't believe that the Axe-FX can do what Fractal says it does or they just want something other than what the Axe can do on its own.
Again, that's all fine IMO, as long as they realize that that's what they're doing.

It should also be understood though that when you run the Axe into a power amp that colours the tone, you're not just colouring the tone of the Amp Block.
You're also munging your beautiful reverbs and chorusing and everything else the Axe is doing.
The great advantage of the Fractal Amp Block, compared to almost anything that came before the Axe (except maybe the H&K Cream Machine), is that it allowed us to place our digital effects *after* any power amp overdrive we were using.
Effects loops were always a compromise.
In the studio, these types of effects were always on the mixing console, post-cab-mic.

No,no, check my last reply again. With my Axe II, I want the same as you. I definitely don't want to colour my output, I'm happy with the simulation which is why I bought the thing. We agree :D

With a JMP1, FX processor rig, I wanted a lightweight power amp that works like a tube amp, hence my initial interest in Matrix (thinking that's what they did from all the talk) and then the Retrochannel.

WRT those SS guitar amps (Retro, Valvestate, etc.), to be effective they have to interact with a guitar speaker as a tube amp would and that can be achieved, you just need the right output stage that reacts to the guitar speakers impedance changes by increasing power as the speaker impedance changes with frequency which is the opposite of most linear SS amps (PA, HiFi amps, etc.) This could be simulated with EQ but it isn't as good. I'm not especially a fan of power tube compression and I think it contributes a smaller amount to the sound. That said, it seems the Retrochannel covers this.

Good discussion though! Though I do fear this is just within topic (maybe more than drummers :mrgreen)

Reactions: LVC
Back
Top Bottom