What's so special about Matrix GT1000?

...These Retrochannel guys seems to have figured all of this out and we can now buy a lightweight SS tube-sounding amp that nobody ever talks about :D

Always been a fan of Lance and the gear he gets behind has always been stellar in my book. I did play the original Retro "wreck" and loved it -- have not played his newer amp you are referring to but I am sure it is stellar as well.

What I mean is that real cabs are very inconvenient as a monitoring solution IMO. Although it is the sound people's ears are used to hearing on a record they are not at ear height and on a stage they are behind you so you can't really use them for monitoring. And what I said inbetween lines there: the "crowd" is used to hearing a mic'ed signal on records and not a guitar cabinet sound. I'd much rather hear what the crowd is hearing instead of a boomy reverb of that sound which is how I would describe hearing a real guitar cab if it isn't at ear height straight in front of my face. :) At least these are the problems I've run into using real cabs with the Axe-Fx for three years now.

For me, it's just what your ears are used to.

Even though using backline amps / cabs has its sonic issues as compared to a coiffed album tone, if you are used to the stage wash, it can sound "off" when you use a more controlled stage tone.

#46 I tried to keep thread on track but regardless ------- however since you brought this up.

Are you convincing yourself or us?

There is nothing childish in providing balance on discussions.

"providing balance".

Plenty of skepticism showed on this thread by folks that never tried a Matrix -- all have been treated respectfully by Matrix owners.

Same cannot be said about CLR owners who cannot stand having anything even remotely bad said about the CLR (even by those who own or owned it).

"skepticism" = "bad saying" ?

This to me is the typical childish auto response people get when they dare question or comment on the CLR (which in my opinion is way overpriced but that can be the subject of another thread).

"childish auto response".

Folks get over it -- that $1,000 you spent will soon be worth a lot less. No amount of posting is going to keep the resell value high.

Since CLRs are so good that I am not planning to sell them, it doesn't affect me even if their price dropped. Actually I can't wait for their price drop, so I can buy another pair.

In all of the tech-talk in the thread the one thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is that tube/valve amps are designed to work like a constant current source whereas most linear solid-state amps operate as a constant voltage source. Aside from anything else, this affects the response of the amp with the impedance of the speaker and one of the reasons why a tube guitar amp sounds 'alive' and a linear SS amp sounds dead when connect to a guitar speaker. As the guitar speaker impedance rises around certain resonant frequencies (such as 80Hz and 8kHz) the tube amp develops more power (voltage increases) into speaker in order to maintain the current. A linear SS amp does the opposite.

Hi there

The AxeFx does all of this already on their speaker tab page and power amp simulation - the question is more, how to setup the axefx properly to a solid state power amp. Most guys don't understand the in- and output sensitivity on their gear, so therefore we need to make a proper tutorial what coming out from the axefx, and what goes in to a solid state power amp. We're still talking about FRFR amplification here - so don't mix-match these with traditional guitar power amp designs, such as the RetroChannel.
I tried it myself by end of march 2013, great solid state amp with tubish feel and tone, but it's still a traditional style power amp. I had a traditional poweramp together with two 4x12 cabinets - now I have a single Q12a by Matrix and an AxeFx II and got 99% the same sound and feel! What an improvement - also in weight!

And - as said many times before - MOSFET transfer characteristics are no mojo ;)

Cheers
Paco

@ all: can we "please" go back to the original topic, which was the Matrix.....no offense to CLR-users, but this is a Matrix thread. Thank you! :)

Hi there

The AxeFx does all of this already on their speaker tab page and power amp simulation - the question is more, how to setup the axefx properly to a solid state power amp. Most guys don't understand the in- and output sensitivity on their gear, so therefore we need to make a proper tutorial what coming out from the axefx, and what goes in to a solid state power amp. We're still talking about FRFR amplification here - so don't mix-match these with traditional guitar power amp designs, such as the RetroChannel.
I tried it myself by end of march 2013, great solid state amp with tubish feel and tone, but it's still a traditional style power amp. I had a traditional poweramp together with two 4x12 cabinets - now I have a single Q12a by Matrix and an AxeFx II and got 99% the same sound and feel! What an improvement - also in weight!

And - as said many times before - MOSFET transfer characteristics are no mojo ;)

Cheers
Paco

@ all: can we "please" go back to the original topic, which was the Matrix.....no offense to CLR-users, but this is a Matrix thread. Thank you! :)

No, I do understand all of this but when people are talking about the Matrix adding a 'something', we're starting to get out of linear FRFR territory. I have wondered about the guitar-oriented Matrix amps myself for sometime but this time couldn't resist to get involved :D

Assuming we're happy with the Axe then all we should need is a linear-as-can-be SS power amp and FRFR cabs. But some people have/want to use guitar cabs and this complicates matters. Plus there is a lot of talk about different power-stage topologies that might account for a change in the sound (towards something more tube-like) without the aspect which makes the most difference between a typical tube amp and SS PA amp.

If we're talking about linear amps, I'm not convinced on the MOSFET thing but I suppose but I suppose it depends on your end goal and how linear you want. If it's me, I want my FRFR amps to be as linear as possible

Assuming we're happy with the Axe then all we should need is a linear-as-can-be SS power amp and FRFR cabs. But some people have/want to use guitar cabs and this complicates matters.

On what basis do you make this claim?
How do guitar cabinets "complicate" matters when using a ss power amp?

Any interactions that a real tube power amp would have with a guitar cabinet are supposedly modelled in the Spkr page of the Amp Block.
Ostensibly then, if a ss power amp truly reproduces the signal that is being sent to it by the Axe (Cab Block off of course) then what comes out of a guitar speaker that is connected to that ss power amp should be almost indistinguishable from what we'd hear if the real amp being modelled were plugged directly into that same speaker.
And in my experience that's exactly what happens when you use a real good power amp into a guitar speaker.

Do you not believe that the features on the Spkr page of the Amp block are sufficient or that the Axe is incapable of truly reproducing the sounbd of a tube amp into a system with sufficient fidelity?
If so, then why bother using the Axe at all?
If all you want from the Axe is programmability and MIDI control then you should probably be using something like a Triaxis into a tube power amp, no?

A non-guitar-oriented FRFR tube power amp with enough headroom to do this properly, i.e. w/o being driven into clipping at gig levels, would need to be 200 watts RMS minimum and even more would be better.
And a tube power amp with that much power would weigh a LOT.
It's simply not practical to use most tube power amps with the Axe, including the ones that Fryette and Retro Channel make, unless you want to actually colour the signal to some degree either tone-wise or via distortion of the signal.
And that's not something that I want to do myself.

Guitar players have been using the gear that manufacturers have provided them with in all sorts of unorthodox ways since the beginnings of electric guitar.
So if someone wants to experiment with making the Axe sound different from the way Cliff programmed it to sound, that's all fine for them.
But they should at least be aware that that's what they're doing. IMO

What do I mean by "the way Cliff programmed it to sound"?
Well, Cliff sits around his lab with all sorts of test equipment that uses all sorts of well researched and tested standard benchmarks to tailor the signal of the Axe FX.
If you monitor your Axe FX through a power amp that deviates from those standard benchmarks then you'll be hearing something different than what Cliff was hearing.
Of course, anything you use will deviate somewhat from what Cliff was using, but the idea is to keep that deviation at a minimum as much as is possible.

So if, for instance, you run a Mesa amp sim with its default settings, which Cliff has programmed to very very closely match the output signal of the real-word Mesa amp being modelled, into a power amp that does not reproduce that signal w/o coloration then you are not really hearing what Cliff intended you to hear, at least not with the default settings of that amp sim.
Of course you're under no obligation to use the Axe that way at all.
But IMO you should be aware of how the decision to use that power amp is affecting the sound you're going to hear.

I was aware of all of this when I bought my own GT1000.
As I said before, my Bryston sounds noticeably better than the GT1000 and I would still be using it if it had more power and less weight.
I would have bought an XT1000 if it was 1U.
I would have bought nearly anything else I could find if it was 1U, around 300 watts into 8ohms and really light.
But the only thing out the right now that fits that form factor is the GT1000.
And it sounds good enough.
So I'm relatively happy.

To Laz
When you complain about how the Atomic stuff is overpriced and how much more you like the Matrix stuff, have you actually looked at Matrix's prices?
I was just thinking about buying a Matrix passive FRFR cab to AB with my CLRs and then I was going to decide which system worked better for me, but the Matrix passive cabs' prices are ridiculous.

To Laz
When you complain about how the Atomic stuff is overpriced and how much more you like the Matrix stuff, have you actually looked at Matrix's prices?
I was just thinking about buying a Matrix passive FRFR cab to AB with my CLRs and then I was going to decide which system worked better for me, but the Matrix passive cabs' prices are ridiculous.

I think most of the FRFR stuff marketed to Axe users is way overpriced. I guess most companies figure if you can spend almost 3 grand on the Axe and a midi board you should be able to afford another grand for a monitor.

I no longer use a FRFR monitor. I have 2 NL12 cabs (which I think are priced right) that I use with my GT1000FX and I am extremely happy with them.

If I ever get another passive FRFR I will be taking a serious look at xitone -- every pro player I know that owns one is very satisfied and their pricing is way more reasonable.

I think most of the FRFR stuff marketed to Axe users is way overpriced. I guess most companies figure if you can spend almost 3 grand on the Axe and a midi board you should be able to afford another grand for a monitor.

I no longer use a FRFR monitor. I have 2 NL12 cabs (which I think are priced right) that I use with my GT1000FX and I am extremely happy with them.

If I ever get another passive FRFR I will be taking a serious look at xitone -- every pro player I know that owns one is very satisfied and their pricing is way more reasonable.

I don't see a big difference between 'FRFR stuff marketed to Axe users' as being much different in cost than other 'Pro-sumer' FRFR solutions?
(QSC KW, RCF NX12ma.....both above the $1k mark.....and they were not marketed towards the Axe).

Agreed that XiTone is a great product, and I really liked the powered wedge I tried....but it's $900. Not much difference in price to the powered wedges that have been mentioned.
Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but just stating that the prices are pretty similar.

All I can say is wow, just wow. Rather than continue this with more pointed arguments I'm going to leave this one here so that the otherwise interesting discussion of matrix and power amps can continue on track. I think people can draw their own conclusions about the nature of disagreement at this point.

Agreed that XiTone is a great product, and I really liked the powered wedge I tried....but it's $900. Not much difference in price to the powered wedges that have been mentioned.
Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but just stating that the prices are pretty similar.

But it uses a matrix amp which I think sounds much better than the amps you get elsewhere.

Also personally I prefer to use a dedicated amp (like the GT1000fx) with passive cabs.

With one amp and you can power both FRFR and real cabs.

I just think it sounds and feels better.

Personal preference.

Last edited:
We're talking about loud guitar sound that people are listening to through muffled earplugs. Seriously... there's no much of a difference after the $10 earplugs that kill most frequencies. I think the only reason there's drama in this thread is because stakeholders are sticking up for their own products. Keep it real guys.

We're talking about loud guitar sound that people are listening to through muffled earplugs. Seriously... there's no much of a difference after the $10 earplugs that kill most frequencies. I think the only reason there's drama in this thread is because stakeholders are sticking up for their own products. Keep it real guys.

Comments like this really puzzle me.

We are not talking about loud guitar sounds. Not even close. Not sure what kind of gigs your are use to playing but in the clubs I play, if the folks sitting having dinner or cocktails in the tables beyond the band stand can't have a conversation, the club owner/manager will tell you to turn it down -- if you persist you will not be booked again.

Getting a great live sound from an amp and playing great music does not mean you have to play loud -- not even close my friend.

Back
Top Bottom