Whats better, connecting SPDIF or TRS connection?

Thanks for the explanation. I feel more relaxed about the pops. 😅 I still don’t like them tho.
I use my Clarrett 4 pre with SPIDF with my III and it works great

I watched your review on youtube, is it really that much difference between scarlett and clarett when it comes to guitar?

Thanks for the explanation. I feel more relaxed about the pops. 😅 I still don’t like them tho.

I watched your review on youtube, is it really that much difference between scarlett and clarett when it comes to guitar?
You won't be using the A/D only the D/A. You will connect the fractal (AX3, FM3, FM9) to the SPDIF (digital connection) to the Focusrite interface. You will also not use any analog circuit in the Focusrite either. The only thing you will do is convert your digital signal to analog and send it to your monitors (no processing happening at all). If you plan to record a band use the mic preamps in the Focusrite then all that will matter a whole lot more. At this point, you are really just using it like a digital patch bay with an A/D circuit converting your audio to analog to go out to your speakers.

I get noise SPDIF no matter what I do.

That's weird. But maybe a dedicated thread is a better place for troubleshooting that particular problem.

For what's it worth, I only get noise via SPDIF when sample rates don't match and the clock is not aligned.
FM3 has a fixed sample rate of 48 kHz and has to be the clock master as it has no SPDIF in.

In real life the difference between digital (spdif) vs analog cable comes down to:

analog:
  • more versatile because every audio hardware has analog i/o.
  • no hazle regarding sample rates / clock master / synchronisation
  • generic, robust instrument- or xlr-cables can be used
-- you have to match output volume and input gain.
-- It's nearly impossible to dial in absolutely 100.000% perfect unity gain.
-- Nearly impossible to

digital:
++ always absolutely perfect 100.000% unity gain.
++ no need to adjust output volume and input gain.
  • need's "special" cables. In pro audio environments you usually get away using xlr and instrument cables that are interchangeable and can be used for multiple purposes. Those cinch cables are only used for spdif and most often of lower consumer-grade quality, not robust. Optical cables are even worse!
  • sender and receiver have to be configured regarding sample rate, clock synchronization
  • more difficult to debug, because you might have to dive deeply into the configuration of the devices.

In summery: Is there the slightest possibility that you might want to reamp anything? Then going the digital way is mandatory, because you really really need that unity gain. For anything else going the analog route is easier.
Regarding "sound quality": Unless you use really crappy gear you'll be fine.

That's weird. But maybe a dedicated thread is a better place for troubleshooting that particular problem.

For what's it worth, I only get noise via SPDIF when sample rates don't match and the clock is not aligned.
FM3 has a fixed sample rate of 48 kHz and has to be the clock master as it has no SPDIF in.
I’ve troubleshot it to death. The reason I said it is from here, there’s only one choice: analog. With spdif I can get either a little noise or a lot of noise but can’t seem to get it silent. All sample rates are at 48k.

You won't be using the A/D only the D/A. You will connect the fractal (AX3, FM3, FM9) to the SPDIF (digital connection) to the Focusrite interface. You will also not use any analog circuit in the Focusrite either. The only thing you will do is convert your digital signal to analog and send it to your monitors (no processing happening at all). If you plan to record a band use the mic preamps in the Focusrite then all that will matter a whole lot more. At this point, you are really just using it like a digital patch bay with an A/D circuit converting your audio to analog to go out to your speakers.

I bought the 18i8

Should be good for my needs

Massive. Clarrett is the way.

This is the audio interface i plan on getting, will it work? It has spdif in and out, but also optical

I rarely record i just want it for practice and playing.

And i dont want to depend on the computer either otherwise ill just continue using neural dsp
Yes it will work. I have the same interface.

CS4272 is superior to the AKM stuff. AKM is low-cost, mass-market stuff. Cirrus makes superior converters IMO. They just don't exaggerate their specs.
thanks. that makes sense as I've never had a problem with the sound of the Scarlett. Many use it and it provides a great bang for your buck solution. People are often brainwashed thinking more expensive means better sound. Not always the case. there are some great modest interfaces out there.

My question goes back to the difference between a regular RCA cable and a Spdif RCA cable? I've heard people say that the Spdif carries a stereo signal whereas a normal rca will not? However, on the Focusrite site they answer the question of "Can I use a regular rca cable for my spdif connection?" with:
"A standard RCA cable will likely transmit the S/PDIF format adequately, but we would always advise you to use a purpose-built 75Ω coaxial S/PDIF cable.
You can purchase dedicated S/PDIF cables from most audio and music stores.
If you need to use an RCA cable, the shorter the RCA cable is, the more successful the connection is likely to be."

I would think they would answer the question with a "No" as to get the actual signal sent you need a spdif and not a normal rca?

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...-standard-RCA-cable-for-my-S-PDIF-connection-

My question goes back to the difference between a regular RCA cable and a Spdif RCA cable? I've heard people say that the Spdif carries a stereo signal whereas a normal rca will not? However, on the Focusrite site they answer the question of "Can I use a regular rca cable for my spdif connection?" with:
"A standard RCA cable will likely transmit the S/PDIF format adequately, but we would always advise you to use a purpose-built 75Ω coaxial S/PDIF cable.
If you need to use an RCA cable, the shorter the RCA cable is, the more successful the connection is likely to be."

I would think they would answer the question with a "No" as to get the actual signal sent you need a spdif and not a normal rca?

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...-standard-RCA-cable-for-my-S-PDIF-connection-
For short distances it will work. At least when I have tried. The difference is primarily in the shielding. You can try it, it will either work or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been using a standard cheap RCA cable for ages. At a short length of a few meters I have experienced no issue. If it helps you sleep at night, get a proper one.

You can use an RCA cable, however a 75 ohm is the best and gives you the best and cleanest signal in a digital application. You can get digital noise without the 75 ohm cable.

I like to use XLR better than spdif. You can control the volume with knobs on the interface directly with XLR . with spdif you have to do it with the software 🫤. Concerning the sound quality I don’t find spdif better. So 🤷, XLR

Problem is most interfaces dont have spdif, should be on with XLR tbh

interfaces with spidif are more expensive too

Problem is most interfaces dont have spdif, should be on with XLR tbh

interfaces with spidif are more expensive too
If you go analog and use XLR you won't be able to do re-amping. You will have to buy a re-amp device to allow it to convert the line level signal to instrument level and send it back to the AX3. This is why most of us use the AX3 via USB/SPDIF while recording guitars. I have 3 different interfaces that each have their purpose in my studio and I use a monitor controller to allow for all them to come into it and have it send to my monitors. I only have to select which 1 I want to use in my DAW.

Just for your future reference.

Back
Top Bottom