What were your first amp modelers?

Rockman
Peavey Profex II (for 1 day...damn thing had a gap when switching presets and had to return it)
Rocktron Chameleon, which I still use for practice
Axe-Fx II Mark I
Axefx III

First was the DOD GS30 then stepped up to the Johnson J-station.

Went on the modeling journey through:
Line 6 - Flextone II Plus, PODs up to the XT series.
Behringer V-Amps (original and version 2).
Vox Tonelabs, LE and ST.
Avid Eleven Rack.

After a few years hiatus from modelers, was lured into the Fractal club with the FX8 then bit the bullet on an AX8. Finally, I have an Axe-Fx III and am waiting for the FM3.

BOSS GT-6
BOSS GT-8
VOX Tonrlab Desktop
VOX Tonelab LE
Sansamp Tri-AC
AX8

I think FAS products have a lot of similarities with the old GT units, specially in the fx chain flexibility and CTRL pedal assignments, I learned a lot about tone shaping by reading the GT-X Manual by Barry Pierce (good times) and many lessons still stand for modern modellers such as using EQs and Bass and Trebble Cuts, etc; I never had a Digitech GSP or anything like that so I don't know how advanced those units or the Rocktrons were, so for me the BOSS GT-8 would be the equivalent of the AX8 in terms of flexibility and deep parameter editing.

In order of when I got them:

Korg G3
Korg Toneworks

-------------
Real Amps
-------------

Digitech RP100
Digitech RP1000
Fractal AxeFX II XL+

I don't even know if the first two really count, but I did use them direct to FOH in all their glory.

Rockman (does this count as a modeler?)
Pod v1 then bought v2 upgrade chip
VG-88 also upgraded
GT-6
GT-8
Other Roland synth and recording gear that includes amp modeling
Fractal Ultra
AXII MKII
AX8

Kinda embarrassed by how long the list is, but technology has advanced incredibly over the past 30 years and I continue to enjoy the ride.

Rockman X100
Boss ME-6
Zoom 505A
Digitech 2120 (Had a tube preamp, but lots of digital stuff and primitive cab modelling, too)
Digitech RP100A
Boss BR-500 (recorder that includes some GT-10 COSM modelling)
Boss ME-50
Boss GT-1
Pod Bean (V1.0 and V2.0)
Pod Farm 2.5
Roland GR-55
Zoom MS50G
Fender SuperChamp XD (tube power amp with some digital preamps)
Amplitube
Digitech Brian May and Clapton pedals
Peavey Ampkit
Vox Adio Air GT
Sansamp Paradriver
Digitech CabDryVyr
AxeFx IIXL

Last edited:
My Dad had a VG-8 and I had a Zoom 707 when I started out.

Reading the OP left me with a tinge of melancholy - what a glorious, furry friend you had!

pod 2.0 -> Avid Eleven Rack -> Atomic Amplifire 6 -> AxeFxIIxl -> ax8 -> [ fm3 hopefully sooner than later! ]

Every summer I play with my old trusty v-amp2 and every summer amazes me the quality of the sound...to the point of beeing in the need of doing an
A/B test....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom