What software for creating riffs and songs

Earl B

Just a survey to see what software/process people are using for creating riffs and songs.
I'm using Logic Pro. Use the drummer feature and just start playing.

Do you save your riffs in folders?
Do you TAB or make notes as you go?
Use Collaboration sites or software?
Best drum app or software?

I have my process but interested to see what others are doing.
Happy New Year!

I use Ableton Live as my DAW. I love the workflow of session view for idea creation and the arrangement view works like a traditional DAW for making a final song. It runs great on both mac and pc (which is important to me).

My favorite drum software is Stylus RMX by Spectrasonics. I also use a bunch of built in drums from Ableton in their excellent drum rack instrument.

Studio One 3 is my go-to DAW. UI is intuitive and allows for a fast-paced work environment (essential for creativity flow). Plenty of useable stock plugins, excellent midi engine, scratchpad, arranger, etc. I'm a recovering Pro-Tools user and Studio One was the perfect replacement.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with any companies, just well-spoken.

Cheers,
B

Logic Pro X's drummer is excellent for songwriting. I just colorize the clips that are defined for each song part (chorus, verse, bridge and so on) across the timeline, with both Drummer regions (clips) and other clips. Then it's just a matter of option-dragging (copying) those regions across the timeline for songs or re-arrangement of songs.

Most of the time I'm just internalizing ideas until I'm ready to jam it or flesh it out into a song. When im ready for that I use reaper and slate platinum with one of the processed drum kits

I rough parts out and record them on my iPhone with whatever guitar I have in my hands at the time - then I go back over these when I'm sitting in front of my studio computer (Cubase and Addictive Drums.... which are, well, addictive...) - piece them together to make whole songs. For years, I would come up with hooks and licks, and think... "I'll never forget that cool hook".... well, I forgot almost all of them (sleeping and drinking intervene).... so now I stop and record ideas as they come. Then work them over in more detail to produce rough cuts like Brownmatthall's above.

Long time Pro Tools user here but I've just got Studio One 3, but I'm finishing an album before I start looking seriously at it.

I just sit down at a piano, or with my bass and start playing away. When I get something going that I like, I write it out in guitar pro (though I'm transitioning to sibelius, since GP falls short in a number of ways for me). Then, I start writing the harmonies and accompaniments.

I sing ideas into a Voice Memo recorder, then run them down in Logic as individual files. I also play a lot of piano.

Great replies!
Coming from a many year hiatus from serious playing the landscape has changed.
My last time doing a lot of writing was in the early days of the ADAT and writing with a real drummer.

So many options just wondering what everyone was using.

Glad I came across the AXE FX II... Just did a show before Christmas and it performed great! I usually have Marshalls and a tri axis waaaay too loud ( is there such a thing?) and the AXE possibly out did them as well as spare some hearing.

Side question (related), is there a stand alone "drummer" program you guys like that works on PC?

I'm pretty fond of addictive drums 2 (XLN Audio). Works as a standalone or a VST plugin. Easy to use, sounds great, lots of canned beats, and full editing. If all you need is play-along I would recommend Band in a Box - great product for home backing tracks - all styles.

For play along, especially standards (jazz, pop et rest), iReal Pro is crazy good, that's how I usually learn known songs for gigs. It could be used for composition even if it's only restricted to building chord charts.

Back
Top Bottom