What setup are you gonna build with AX8

Smittefar

Axe-Master
I saw that @Larry Mitchell has a flydate-setup that fits in a laptop bag - I find that inspiring, and I may end up with just that. I want to go as light as possible, but I still think I may put the AX8 on a board and use a few stand-alone pedals as well

I play guitar and sing (mostly backup) in a party cover band. We use in-ears and except for drums (and singing), we have a silent stage.

My setup is
Electric guitar->
PolyTune 2->
UniVibe->
La Machine->
FunkZilla->
AnalogMan CompRossor->
SoulFood->
Tube Screamer->
TC Stereo Chorus Flanger->
Boost'n'Buff->
Amp input (Koch Studiotone)->
Amp FX Send->
Empress buffer->
Wampler Faux Tape Echo->
Empress buffer return->
Amp FX return->
Amp line out (post power amp, amp has dummy load built-in)->
Torpedo C.A.B.->
PA system

As I said, we use in-ears, and I sing, so I use the Rolls PM351 as my in-ear amplifier and mixer.
PedalBoardOktober2015.jpg

A lot of these pedals will have to go, when I integrate the AX8 to my sound. The amp will be retired as well (it will not be sold, but I plan to stop using it live).

I am not currently an Axe owner, so I have limited experience with the different FX. Both boosters as well as the amp channel switch are out, they are just not useful anymore. Tube Screamer and Soul Food are probably out as well, Axe has a TS simulation, an I guess the soul food can be modeled with the dumble models.

I am not very happy with the univibe, so whatever AX8 offers will have to be good enough. MXR La Machine is a sick sick fuzz box and octafuzz, I do not use it very much, so it might not make it to the board, although I do not think Axe offers anything like it.

Funkzilla is the best AutoWah (by far), I have ever tried, and I use it a lot, so it is a strong candidate to stay on the board. However, I tried to do some AutoWah with @Sustainerplayer 's Axe, and it was actually quite good, so maybe I will not need funkzilla.

I love the Polytune experience, and I do not think, I can ever go back to tuning one string at a time. So it will only go, if it turns out that all other pedals are gone, and I can forego a pedalboard completely.

I am guessing the Axe has a chorus that can compete with SCF although very little comes close to it, when it comes to lush eighties chorus.

The Faux Tape Echo is so good that I want to have it on all the time. So far, I have mostly heard beautiful digital delays from Axe, but I like analog/tape more. But then came the memory man simulation in Quantum 1.02 - that sounded absolutely killer in Brett Kingmans demo. Also, the advantage of being able to program delay tempo into the preset is something I look forward to. I plan to have a preset for each song, so maybe the Faux Tape Echo has to go as well.

I love compressors, and I used the Carl Martin compressor/limiter for more than ten years. I recently replaced it with the analogman, which is a completely different beast. As far as I know, the Axe has a great studio compressor built in, so I will most likely not need the Carl Martin, but as far as I know there is no simulation of a Ross-style compressor in Axe, so I may want to keep the analogman on board.

So all in all, I may be looking at a board with Polytune 2->Funkzilla->CompRossor->AX8->Faux Tape Echo in the FX loop - that may leave so much space on the board, so I can even integrate a mic stand on the board.

While not as light as Larrys laptop-bag setup, I still think, it will be pretty sweet, just to lay down the board, cables for guitar and in-ear, and then 4 cables to the mixer (AX8 L/R, mic, in-ear). I will be set up and ready to roll in less than a minute - And that will be great.

Any comments on my thoughts?

How do you plan your AX8 setup?

Hoping to keep it simple. AX8 with an expression pedal or two in to a Matrix GT800 and guitar cab. May eventually go FRFR.

I plan on dropping it into the space on my PT Pro left behind by a kicked-off M13. The 3 drives and Turbo Tuner will stay, and I may even keep the Empress Compressor and ParaEQ just because.

The amp will likely stay home.

I know the idea most people have is to keep things light and quick, but I don't have much trouble with a PT Pro hard case - it has wheels. Leaving the amp home will make a huge difference.

Precisely how I feel - Right now my board is almost as heavy as the amp, I will loose the amp, and the board will be lighter - still win-win, if you ask me

My to-be rig will be an allround setup: studio & live. AX8, volume & wah pedals, wireless (all mounted on pedalboard), FRFR speaker (Mission Engineering Gemini or CLR. Thining hard about the pedalboard: I'd like something study enough for the stage, but don't want a 200 lbs rig...

Pedaltrains are ridiculously light (until you pedal them up and throw them in a hard case).

I will have different rigs for different situations.

Right now I am running an FX8 with my Mark V:25 cab clone out to FOH and in ears at church. I tend to run a tube amp and cab with no effects for other gigs and jams. I use an old line 6 floor modeler gigabit for the FX8, and will probably do the same for the AX8. I was going to mount the FX8 on my large blackbird board with the road case with rollers, but it is so light and easy with the gig bag and I don't need expression pedals at church, and I can fit one in the gig bag if I need a wah otherwise.

I plan to run just the AX8 direct at church, and through studio monitors at home. Not sure on normal bands and jams yet, might grab a Friedman power monitor.

Here's the setup I'll be running. Dimensions are for the guy I'm trying to have custom build the board for me.

Pedalboard.jpg

The Deep Six Compressor will run before the AX8 as an always on unit, the Mythical OD will run in the FX loop. My hope/plan is to use the function buttons on the AX8 for tap/tuner, stomp mode, and x/y mode. The FS-5U's will be for preset up/down, and something else I haven't decided on yet (either a volume boost, or a locked stomp mode)

I'll have a junction box below the riser making all the inputs I'll be using regularly easy to access.

Guitar, cable, AX8 with power, XLR to pa.

^ my future "rig" :) maybe a cheap expression pedal like the M-Audio EX-P.

I'll probably use my double guitar case for a single guitar and the AX8. Amazing.

Guitar - AX8 - Carvin DCM200 SS amp - 1X12 open back Cabinet with 50w Fane. To PA for complex soundscapes.

Not many that plan to use pedals other than Axe8. I hope you are right, and the Ax8 effects are really that good

I would love to add a wireless system. I would by a Line 6 G70 instantly, if a good wireless transmitter for in-ear came along in the same price range, but so far (as far as I know), the only good in-ear transmitters-receiver sets will run you about $1000, which I currently think is too much.

As long as my in-ears are not wireless, it does not make sense to have wireless guitar.

AX8, Mission EP1, RCF NX12SMA. Going to be so nice.

Still going to use the Axe Fx XL+ on most gigs, but this will be awesome on smaller or travel gigs. The AX8 will travel to all gigs as a backup to Rig #1.

AX8 , 2x m-audio expression pedals or maybe three because they open up so many more possibilities with the Axe fx. I also have a TC Helicon Voice live 3 extreme but don't sing much, still would love having these two together in a compact case. Clr for a monitor but would like to build a wired iem setup possibly.

1.) 4CM with 4ch midi controlled TappAmp
2.) going into FX return on back line amp.
3.) going in to front of no FX-loop amp, using only stomps and FX
4.) into PA, both with Fractals amps, but also with Tone Matched settings of the TappAmp.

Back
Top Bottom