What makes more sense: FC-12 or Behringer FCB1010 for at home use only?

I’ve used both the FCB1010 and the MFC. The FCB is cheaper, and comes with two built-in treadles. However I switched to an MFC because:
1. The FCB’s treadles, whilst cheap, are not as precise or smooth as something like Mission treadles.
2. The FCB has ten buttons. I used five for patches, which left five for IAs to turn turn individual effects on and off. That’s not enough for the range of FX which my band needs.
3. The MFC can display the tuner. The FCB1010 cannot.

Reactions: DLW
You might also consider one of the Voes controller pedals. I believe they fully integrate with the Axe Fx III.

@voes can provide you with more info.

The Fractal FCs are outstanding, though.

The FCB is a good pedal, I got rid of it just because I got sick of the size and looks and needed something smaller that would fit in a normal travel bag. If you have a PC and use ripwerx software with a midi sport 2x2, programming is a finger in the nose job.

You might also consider one of the Voes controller pedals. I believe they fully integrate with the Axe Fx III.

@voes can provide you with more info.

The Fractal FCs are outstanding, though.

All Voes MX pedals can sync with the Axe-Fx III: Preset name, scene name, active scene, block on/off status, block active channel, looper, tuner...

At the moment there are 5 Models (see signature):
MX-6 2x3
MX-9 3x3
MX-12 2x6
MX-12 3x4
MX-18 3x6

More info on www.voes.be

I still use the FCB1010 with my AXE FX II. Eureka chip so did not have to do any programming at all. Just had to set the midi CC's for a few things. Have had no issues.
I just bought a second AXE FX 3 and got the FC-6 with it for live use. Practically plug & play.

Honestly for home use if not critical and money is tight I'd go with the FCB1010 and a Eureka chip. You get not just the switches but 2 expression pedals. With a FC-6 or FC-12 you need to separately purchase the pedals if you want that functionality increasing the cost even more significantly over the FCB. Without the chip yes programming is a pain. But the chip is cheap.
The FC-6 is probably more than enough for home use over the FC-12. Remember you get several sets of 6 button functions, changed just by the two right switches together. Even for live use, I mainly need effects on/off during a song, and switch presets between songs so being able to switch between those function sets on the pedal eliminates needing the FC-12.

I bought a FC1010 when I was trying to find a replacement for my old Lake Butler MIDI controller. I'm well versed in MIDI and programming, but that thing was User Hostile to program... I realize there are editors out now, but not an easy controller to program or edit on the fly.

Get the FC-6 or FC-12 and save TONS of hours of hair pulling, things just WORK, and connect with a simple mic cable.

PLUS you can take advantage of the Holiday bundle sale and save some money. WELL worth the extra investment... in functionality, programmability and ease of mind.

Late to this party but... I also am well versed in MIDI and SYSEX programming and also had the "hair pulling issue" trying to organically program the FCB-1010 (click this switch then that one then one more then turn off and back on and rinse and repeat- arrgh). It will physically wear out your hands, back, or feet or all three - LOL

While waiting on the FC wait-list to get ot me and having tried the unmodifed FCB I bought the Eureka EPROM folks seem to swear by. But it can't be programmed and is out of date for one-to-one use use with FX III, it is great if you have a FX-II or Kemper or... So then moved onto the Uno chip and Uno software editor. Now with Uno and a PC, programming the FCB1010 is a breeze (assuming you DO understand MIDI) - not as easy as programming the FC-6 from the AXE Editor but not rocket science either.

Although, you can ONLY program the FCB with an Uno EPROM from a PC using the Uno SW. So at HOME use that's fine, not so much fro "on the fly" or at a show. Of course, I can't imagine trying to re-program ANY multi-function or MIDI footswitch on the fly at ANY show. May as well just put guitar on a stand and take a break or worse call a "knock it off" and give money back.

To be fair, to program the FC-6 or FC-12 "on the fly" when NOT using free PC Axe Editor would also be a "less than light speed" and less than pain free using the FX-III front panel. Not hard, but again not something I'd want to do mid-show "on the fly" or at a show.

I eventually got moved up in the wait-list queue and got an FC-6. Yes it is much easier "use." But primarily because of plain text read-outs, color coding LED's LED intensities, etc. You have visual feedback and KNOW what is being turned on or off, what's being incremented/decremented, etc. But you still need to buy/add expression pedals (built into FCB1010) assumign you use any for wahs, volume swells/control, etc. FWIW I still added a 4-switch "stand-in" switch box (home built) hooked to FC-6. That frees up four functions/switches from the FC-6 that can now be used for other things - effectively almost doubling my FC-6 capability!

Plus I added three "foot controllable" pots to that home-built box (they are same size and act like foot pot's on Mojo Vibe or Deja Vibe or pedals like those) . I use those to adjust FX-III parameters such as uni-vibe speed, chorus speed, delay feedback/repeats, drive depth/grit, whatever and use the forth expression pedal input on FC-6 for use with an actual foot expression pedal, a Mission SP-1. Plus I have two expression pedals directly hooked to back of FX III's inputs.

My FCB-1010 is now mainly used for all my other MIDI gear (keyboard synths/controllers, rack synths and MIDI capable FX, as well as PC DAW use) but can be switched into FX III, via multiple rack mounted MIDI patch bays, for even more FX-III " fun with buttons" as and if needed.

To be very redundant and way over kill (more many than talent here) I added a Melo Audio MIDI Commander to the FX III. I'm drowning in foot switchable capabilities.

Go with an FC-12, get Yamaha HS8’s and still save money. No hassles with matching hardware, the FC is superior to anything, and HS8’s sound PERFECT.

Speaking as a musician, not a Fractal employee: The FC-12 definitely makes more sense. MIDI programming is a pain, and there is a lot you cannot do with it. My joy at integrated FC editing in Axe-Edit is pretty great. It keeps things fun and doesn't kick your brain out of music/creativity mode.

Speaking as a musician, not a Fractal employee: The FC-12 definitely makes more sense. MIDI programming is a pain, and there is a lot you cannot do with it. My joy at integrated FC editing in Axe-Edit is pretty great. It keeps things fun and doesn't kick your brain out of music/creativity mode.
This. My Axe-FX never leaves my music room (wish I could say the same) but I love the ease of switching among presets, scenes, looper functions, etc. the FC12 affords. No to mention the effortless programming.

I had the 12, but traded it for a pair of 6es. The 12 is an excellent switcher for a more button-focused approach. I am more controller-focused, so a pair of 6es lets me center my controllers and still have all 12 buttons within easy reach, plus I can have twice as many controllers and stand-in switches....

Old:
20191124_220130.jpg

New:
20191129_134217.jpg

Guessing no one tried searching the forums. But here is a post that someone gave step by step how to program their FCB1010 with their AXE FX III WITHOUT a chip.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ing-you-want-with-fcb1010-no-uno-chip.141749/

Yes , read it back when first posted, didn't alter my opinion about ease of programming the FCB one iota vice using a PC editor. Besides, I never said you need or had to have a 3rd party EPROM. I just just explained you needed the Uno EPROM if you wanted to use the Uno PC Editor. But I did, however, neglect to mention there are two free FCB editors out there for a stock FCB, they just are not all that good IMHO but YMMV.

Ease of programming the FCB with an editor is analogous to the ease of programming the FC-6 and FC-12 using the PC Axe Edit program over using the FX III front panel's multiple button/rotatory encoder selections to "get 'er done" for an FC-6 or 12.

Hello.I was wondering if you could help me calibrate my pedal please? I have eurekaprom and fcb1010 controller and AXE FX 2...i am having problems and Noone can explain it..I've tried everything I know how so far...Keith. thank you.

Hello.I was wondering if you could help me calibrate my pedal please? I have eurekaprom and fcb1010 controller and AXE FX 2...i am having problems and Noone can explain it..I've tried everything I know how so far...Keith. thank you.
This thread is in the FC controllers forum. That is not applicable to the Axe Fx II or FCB in any way.

It has been a while but I don't recall any calibration is required (or possible) with a midi expression pedal. The calibration should happen on the midi controller instead (FCB for you).

Back
Top Bottom