What I've Been Doing the Past Month

Okay, one more. Showing off the improved Tone Matching block. I used the first few seconds of Really Got Me as the reference source.
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/v10_vh1.mp3

I have to comment again, I think this clip is quite impressive. You captured the VH1 recorded tone and would probably make a lot die hards at MetroAmp drewl a bit and reconsider all those complex unstable mods....

Cliff, would it be a big imposition on you and your time to share with us the settings for this patch? I would think that many would be very interested in knowing what you did to get this vintage tone. I am more curious about what you may have done to the deep parameter settings, if anything was done at all...

Thanks in advance,
Jean.

I didn't adjust any advanced parameters. The only thing I did was max the MV, crank the mid and treble and add some high end with the graphic EQ which are all things that I believe Eddie did. Then I did a tone match. Even without the tone match it's very close though but the formants are naturally different.

For the reverb I used the medium cathedral and increased the pre-delay slightly.

You won't get this without V10 though. The distortion characteristic is different in V10. The tonal balance is very similar but the breakup in V10 is less controlled. It's raw and nasty. The statistical analysis showed that the Axe-Fx was too polite in it's distortion curves and not asymmetric enough. Now it's rude, crunchy and pissed off sounding and unpredictable at times. Sometimes I hit a note and amusing things happen. Then I switch to the real amp and find that the real amp does the same thing. Changes in pick angle can make the note sound completely different. Crank the MV and the amp spits and sizzles and sounds like it's going to blow up.

Some folks are probably going to not like it but I've left the V9 modeling in there for them. V9 (and the earlier firmwares) were more like ideal amplifiers that a PhD student would design. V10 is just lot's of fun, quirky and bombastic. If you like real amps with all the crazy things that happen then I think you'll like V10.

I didn't adjust any advanced parameters. The only thing I did was max the MV, crank the mid and treble and add some high end with the graphic EQ which are all things that I believe Eddie did. Then I did a tone match. Even without the tone match it's very close though but the formants are naturally different.

For the reverb I used the medium cathedral and increased the pre-delay slightly.

You won't get this without V10 though. The distortion characteristic is different in V10. The tonal balance is very similar but the breakup in V10 is less controlled. It's raw and nasty. The statistical analysis showed that the Axe-Fx was too polite in it's distortion curves and not asymmetric enough. Now it's rude, crunchy and pissed off sounding and unpredictable at times. Sometimes I hit a note and amusing things happen. Then I switch to the real amp and find that the real amp does the same thing. Changes in pick angle can make the note sound completely different. Crank the MV and the amp spits and sizzles and sounds like it's going to blow up.

Some folks are probably going to not like it but I've left the V9 modeling in there for them. V9 (and the earlier firmwares) were more like ideal amplifiers that a PhD student would design. V10 is just lot's of fun, quirky and bombastic. If you like real amps with all the crazy things that happen then I think you'll like V10.

BRING the crazy! You have me freaking out looking forward to this one.

Now it's rude, crunchy and pissed off sounding and unpredictable at times. Sometimes I hit a note and amusing things happen. Then I switch to the real amp and find that the real amp does the same thing. Changes in pick angle can make the note sound completely different. Crank the MV and the amp spits and sizzles and sounds like it's going to blow up.

Cool...and that's as it should be lol...barely contained mayhem...

Definitely looking forward to some "small amps about to implode" goodness. I've had the thought before that the AxeFx probably wasn't able to get a Jack White kinda tone. Sounds like that possibility might be right around the corner!

Definitely looking forward to some "small amps about to implode" goodness. I've had the thought before that the AxeFx probably wasn't able to get a Jack White kinda tone. Sounds like that possibility might be right around the corner!

I found a Silvertone Twin Twelve locally but the guy hasn't responded to my email yet.

Good lord really? Pick the Super, JTM45, or Bassman. Set it up for clean-ish and play a nasty P-90 guitar through it. Add a raw OD like the TS808 in a stoopid high drive level, and instant Jack White.

Honestly the key to his tone is the guitar. A '59 re-ish is not going to nail it. Cheap ass guitar, clean overdriven amp = Jack.

I've played a Silvertone twin...it was the most boring amp I've ever played...but it took to pedals better than any other amp I've ever been around...(insert MIMIC to accurately nail pedals! Woo!)

The Axe II having a more raw immediate tone on tap can only be a good thing.

Having said that, I had a blast with my Axe today jamming some '80s rock with some backing tracks in my man cave.

Bring on the new stuff Cliff, & please try to get the YJM & Satriani Marshall's & the Friedman Steve Stevens in the Axe II at some point.

Oh yeah, crack the whip on them Edit dudes, although your V10 epiphany is probably driving them crazy! lol

Any chance for a Marshall Major? I might even consifder buying one and shipping the beast just to have it in the Axe...

... If you like real amps with all the crazy things that happen then I think you'll like V10.

Does this mean we'll have parasitic oscillations to worry about?

:)

(sadly still waiting for axe-edit until I can upgrade past V7.0. But I'm watching with earnest to stay informed once I'm able to upgrade)

v10 sounds great! It would be great if we could choose the firmware per preset (up to fw5). That we could still use our gig tested presets plus enjoy all the features of the updates. :) I know, I know its too much to ask :)

Back
Top Bottom