What I've Been Doing the Past Month

I think that we've got to presume that this will be as nasty as the real amp, no more, no less. In this case you can still use amps that produce smooth tones to produce smooth tones. Everyone's a winner.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed things like Bogner Egnater etc will always have their darker smoother character .
This goes back to what i said (and i totally agree with Cliff on this) the closer Axe gets to standing in the room with a Bog XTC or Marshall plexi 100 watt wide open .the more I believe it will polarize the two camps of users.

The Tube amp guys will become more and more excited as it gets closer, .yet the guys who like that smooth polish studio quality of a great recorded amp in an ideal room will probably be more disappointed.
Double edged sword. I think being able to go back a few firmwares is a really nice way to offer both options to people .

I love where this is headed but I am also a little concerned if it gets too crazy and too real/nasty/pick attacky/compression sounding, will I miss my smooth like butter perfect sounds? I LOVE the idea of having a choice on a per-patch basis of different firmware modeling as apposed to global. How difficult would that be? Perhaps it could be a deeper parameter, but that way I could enjoy the "bombastic fantastic" when I wanted but still have the option of the purified sound of FW9.

I'm thinking amps that get a lot of their character from preamp distortion will still have the compression that often comes with cranking the preamp gain. Personally I'm looking forward to this hugely. Someone earlier in the thread described the nasty distortion of a tweed amp and how different it is from modern drive. So true. I love that characteristic and enjoy the hell out of a blasted tweed amp with a tele (or other) bridge pickup played with fingers. It's astounding how many colors you can get from that combination. Cliff's descriptions make me think that type of sound which is already quite good on 9 will be even better.

The Tube amp guys will become more and more excited as it gets closer, .yet the guys who like that smooth polish studio quality of a great recorded amp in an ideal room will probably be more disappointed.

If that actually turns out to be the case I suspect that Cliff might leverage Fractal created models to provide those more "perfect" tube models.

Terry.

Myself, I like the feel of a rude, raw, snotty amp without polish or sweeting and 'connect' best like that...you can always polish it up later but since my Ultra days I've generally spent as much time tweaking the feel as with the sound. I open up most amps/presets and make them less compressed and aggresive, even for some clean amps. I'm big time liking the comments about 10 feeling 'faster' and having a lot of pick nuances. New tube modeling, etc. wow...the II is just way too much fun...

Granted, I'm only listening through computer speakers, but I really sat up and took notice. Dunno what it is exactly, but it is just even more 'real'. Every time this happens I think - it can't get more real: it already sounds real - but then it does. no way on earth I'd EVER know this wasn't a mic'd amp.

Stock amp model, stock cab models, nothing fancy (especially the playing :) )
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/v10_spankin.mp3

The whole thing sounds fantastic, but what jumps out at me and smacks me in the face is the distortion you get right at the 20 second mark.

That is a growling, zero fizz type of distortion that up until this point you only ever hear from a power amp being overdriven.

That just sounds ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom