What is your favorite Reverb/Delay?

There's a lot that you can do with the different delays....quite a lot. My favorites right now are the DM-2 model (the real one is my favorite delay pedal that I've actually owned) and the Dual Delay with settings somewhat similar to something Leon Todd showed at some point. IIRC, he called it a circular delay.

Hot take: I don't like reverb, as a rule. Almost every reverb device, pedal, or plugin I've used has really pissed me off. There's always this HF metallic sounding "flutter echo" that drives me nuts. Sadly, the FAS reverbs are not exempt from this. So, personally, I'd rather save the DSP and just not use it. If I actually need it for some sound, I'll buy whatever spring reverb pedal my LGS has and put it in front of the fractal...whatever it is, it won't sound worse than anything else to me.

Yes, I understand they're kind of necessary for mixing, at least some of the time. I have ways to deal with that. But, after using (at different points in my life) a real EMT plate, Super Reverb springs, Bricasti, Lexicon, Fabfilter, Valhala, and a bunch I've forgotten about...I just don't care about the details anymore. Pick one. Turn it down to where you don't notice it. Move on.

I have had some luck with the Room section of the Cab block (with diffusion and damping turned up a decent bit), and I'm experimenting with a farfield/room IR (which is aggressively filtered a la the Abbey Road reverb technique and mixed in pretty quiet) ... and I'm liking that sound. So...if you call that a room reverb, it's my favorite for guitar sounds right now. But, it'll probably change. The HF flutter echo is still there, but it's enough in the background that it doesn't drive me up the walls.

South Church and North Church reverbs are both great. I also like Studio.

For Delay I tend to go for Analog Stereo or Stereo Deluxe Mind Guy.

There are many cool ones.
Yeah South Church and North Church are great.

My comment about Plex was kind of left field, not my main ambience stuff. I use Plex for special purpose washes really

I also use the Wood Room one on every preset, with the predelay and tail levels reversed, so almost all predelay and mic-bleed levels of tail. Gets a really convincing 'amp in the room' vibe, and I can dry it out a bit while boosting my solo so it pokes out in your face a bit more when soloing, then blends into the room when done....

I use a handful of delay types but my favorite is probably the Stereo BBD.

Regarding reverb, it all depends on how it is used. If you're a fan of big reverbs, the Axe Fx III has the Cloud types that are really good. They were one of the main reasons I chose to spend the money on the Axe III.

The 'spacious' reverbs will usually get tweaked quite a bit. In the FM3, my favorite 'Spacious' models are

Cumulonimbus
Deep Space
Nimbostratus
North Church

'Basic' reverb:
London Plate

Reverb: The Sun Plate and EMT 140 (London) Plate are my go tos. I like to run it at 100% wet and add a drive block in front of it and a compressor after.
Delay: The Dual Delay. I'll set the left around 1/4 of the tempo and the right at 1/2. It creates a cool panning effect that goes from left to right which can also be done with a mono reverb and a panner if more control is desired.

London plate, though I’m not a big Verb guy. Just have it there as a set and forget. Delay is 2290 for me. Love that thing (err, sim).

My main delay rig is in parallel on a continuous controller for delay mix and repeats:

Stereo tape 1/4 w ducking
Reverse delay 1/8 dotted w ducking (mixed down 30-50% from tape)
Plex delay for leads w ducking

Reverbs vary, but already noted by others

Thank you all.
I tried all of your recommendations and actually i like
Sun plate for Reverb most and the Analog Delay. Wondering that this is missing in this Thread. I like the muffled Feedback. What about chorus?

Back
Top Bottom