What is up with Fractal, and supply? New Customer

Just start prepping for what you've got coming. Get your cases & cables, monitors, whatever else you need ready to go.

If I could go back, I'd spend more time checking out more in-depth tutorials and getting familiar with the system. Maybe stocking up on more IRs.

The best part is the tones. Second best part is essentially exiting the amp/effects gear market for the next 7 or 8 years. (At least that's how I sold the Wife on the "investment".) :)

Cheers!

Actually, the main thing I'm doing is watching vids on how to use it, I have a decent grip now. I have a several OwnHammer IRs sets because I record more than we practice live. I actually have Neural and some other plug-ins for getting decent tones going into Cubase... so I"m not looking at the AFX3 as the main recording set up but rather a sort of supplementary thing. IF it can beat having plug-ins then all the more power to it... but plug ins are super easy to use and so efficient to save sounds to tracks and not mess around with reamping like I might with the AFX3.

For me, and what I"m a little scared of is that it might not pull off "moving air" like a real Amp does when I play with the bass and drums and no PA. I'm hoping it can get close, but coming into this not really expecting it. But I have the Marshall and I can try it through its poweramp section for a tube power type of thing... then I have a Solid State Yamaha Power Amp that I can try... so one of those should prove if it can move the air. I've had Digital pre-amps and never found them to really THUMP like my Marshall or Boogie do. Even the clean channel just snaps you in the chest on the Boogie. I don't need perfection, and don't expect it from the AFX3 playing in a large room without a PA, but if it does it I will be ecstatic.

Actually, the main thing I'm doing is watching vids on how to use it, I have a decent grip now. I have a several OwnHammer IRs sets because I record more than we practice live. I actually have Neural and some other plug-ins for getting decent tones going into Cubase... so I"m not looking at the AFX3 as the main recording set up but rather a sort of supplementary thing. IF it can beat having plug-ins then all the more power to it... but plug ins are super easy to use and so efficient to save sounds to tracks and not mess around with reamping like I might with the AFX3.

For me, and what I"m a little scared of is that it might not pull off "moving air" like a real Amp does when I play with the bass and drums and no PA. I'm hoping it can get close, but coming into this not really expecting it. But I have the Marshall and I can try it through its poweramp section for a tube power type of thing... then I have a Solid State Yamaha Power Amp that I can try... so one of those should prove if it can move the air. I've had Digital pre-amps and never found them to really THUMP like my Marshall or Boogie do. Even the clean channel just snaps you in the chest on the Boogie. I don't need perfection, and don't expect it from the AFX3 playing in a large room without a PA, but if it does it I will be ecstatic.
“Moving air” happens with any speaker at volume. It needs to be loud to sound loud. Many use real amps in their bedroom and find it doesn’t move air like it does on stage. Same thing for modeling or real amps/speakers.

That said, modeling can sound better at low volumes than a real amp that needs loud volumes for power amp distortion, since the modeler models the power amp distortion at any perceived volume.

I think I got mine on the original waitlist, towards the end when they came back into stock. They were available for a long time. They even went down in price since I bought mine. It's not surprising that the supply was bought up though, and even less surprising that it's been difficult to fill demand. There are a ton of things that you can't just go buy right now unless you go used. Things you can get, in some cases, have gone up like crazy. I just paid $30 for two 8-foot 2x4s yesterday! I hope you don't need any fitness equipment.

It's not hard to get an Axe Fx III if you want one. There are some on this forum, Craigslist, Reverb, Ebay, etc.

“Moving air” happens with any speaker at volume. It needs to be loud to sound loud. Many use real amps in their bedroom and find it doesn’t move air like it does on stage. Same thing for modeling or real amps/speakers.

That said, modeling can sound better at low volumes than a real amp that needs loud volumes for power amp distortion, since the modeler models the power amp distortion at any perceived volume.

I'm not talking volume, high volumes only are not going to compensate for what I'm speaking of. Maybe you have not A/B'd many set ups in a larger pracitce room, but I actually have to the point of hating it. So I'm not talking about bedrooms, or recording. I'm talking about the thumps and perception of feeling the sound the guitar and Amp combo is making on your body, ears and brain. So whether it is different amounts of natural compression, or different levels of articulation of the notes coming off the strings, or the harmonic content, or perhaps a speaker moves differently with real amps, but there is absolutely something different. I have tried in the late 90s and again 6 years ago to go to a digital preamp or modeler. It was not like the real amp. That is with 4 people in the room, that is with another guitarist A/Bing with you and your changes and playing each others set-ups. Maybe you never done this but you will know it if you have.

So while I know there are persons such as yourself who say sound is sound....For me its not remotely accurate in a big room from my perspective. I'm not claiming to have better ears than you.... I'm saying there is something occuring at volume with the percussive air moving through you. Maybe it not air... it just feels like it. But you talking about volume is NOT it. It just smoother with the Digital.... it doesn't move air......... it just louder.

For a better explanation.... it like if you play a recording of a band loud... but then have the band in front of you at a lower volume... the drum would be punchier everything would be snapping.... But you can crank a recording and it sound great but not the same. Anyway not arguing just telling you I won't expect it to sound like and real Amp and will be grateful and happy as hell if it does..... and I'm not talking through a PA... thats not the sound either.

I'm not talking volume, high volumes only are not going to compensate for what I'm speaking of. Maybe you have not A/B'd many set ups in a larger pracitce room, but I actually have to the point of hating it. So I'm not talking about bedrooms, or recording. I'm talking about the thumps and perception of feeling the sound the guitar and Amp combo is making on your body, ears and brain. So whether it is different amounts of natural compression, or different levels of articulation of the notes coming off the strings, or the harmonic content, or perhaps a speaker moves differently with real amps, but there is absolutely something different. I have tried in the late 90s and again 6 years ago to go to a digital preamp or modeler. It was not like the real amp. That is with 4 people in the room, that is with another guitarist A/Bing with you and your changes and playing each others set-ups. Maybe you never done this but you will know it if you have.

So while I know there are persons such as yourself who say sound is sound....For me its not remotely accurate in a big room from my perspective. I'm not claiming to have better ears than you.... I'm saying there is something occuring at volume with the percussive air moving through you. Maybe it not air... it just feels like it. But you talking about volume is NOT it. It just smoother with the Digital.... it doesn't move air......... it just louder.

For a better explanation.... it like if you play a recording of a band loud... but then have the band in front of you at a lower volume... the drum would be punchier everything would be snapping.... But you can crank a recording and it sound great but not the same. Anyway not arguing just telling you I won't expect it to sound like and real Amp and will be grateful and happy as hell if it does..... and I'm not talking through a PA... thats not the sound either.
i wasn't clear what you were describing, so my previous comments were based on that. now you've described it more. i think my original statements still stand, as moving air is indeed based on volume. you're speaking of something specific and additional to that, which is fine, but we're just talking about 2 different things.

a quiet real drum vs a loud recorded one is an interesting situation. i think this comes down more to the frequencies a recording captures and the playback device and speakers used in playing it back. a real drum in a room has no limitations, where a recording - analog or digital - has inherent limitations as described.

i think you'll enjoy the Axe.

I still want to know who says when their shipping containers are coming in. Who is providing information that production floor pickers dont get?

Genuinely curious with 9 years in a DC.
StudioDesk sends out notices about container status. Here’s a recent container being loaded.

I've been trying for months. Nothing out there.

I caved and bought some adjustable weights and a bench (Powerblock) on OfferUp. I paid a bit more than new, but given how my county is supposedly going back on lockdown tomorrow, I'm glad I went ahead and got them. I luckily already had a Water Rower and Peloton bike, so I'm covered now.

My local YMCA does have a nice semi-outdoor workout area, but I'm not ready to go back to a gym.

I have an almost-new stationary bike collecting dust. Would LOVE to sell it just to get it out of here.
Used it 3 or 4 times before I decided running was just more convenient and effective.

I have an almost-new stationary bike collecting dust. Would LOVE to sell it just to get it out of here.
Used it 3 or 4 times before I decided running was just more convenient and effective.
Depending on where you live, you could get more than what you paid for a new these days. I sold a pretty basic Sunny spin bike in May for far more than I should have been able to get for it on the used market.

Back
Top Bottom