What is this audio phenomenon?

lair

Inspired
High gain is giving me a little clicky slapback kind of thing.... any high gain from any source (Axe, plugins, etc). Using the Axe exclusively as my interface (guitar into axe, axe USB to laptop and XLR monitors from the axe).

This is the Devin Townsend GOT all stock settings, with the delay block disabled - but again, not unique to any one preset.

I've tried the ghost note fixes to no avail - but is this a ghost note? I don't know... it seems to meet the criteria for a ghost note, except to me it doesn't sound like a note - it sounds like a rhythmic click. The note in the clip is 5th fret G string.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Do other notes do it as well? That's a pretty "sharp" interference there. Pickup too close to the strings sounds "softer" but slightly similar. Send a DI track so we can test that alone.

Definitely not a ghost note, if I'm hearing what you're talking about. I'm hearing a faint "click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click"... sounds like clock noise or maybe even some cell phone interference?

Hey, all - thanks for the replies! Just got back in town and will have some time tomorrow to experiment some more but I’ll answer some initial questions…
Do other notes do it as well? That's a pretty "sharp" interference there. Pickup too close to the strings sounds "softer" but slightly similar. Send a DI track so we can test that alone.
Yes other notes have the same reaction. It’s most noticeable on higher notes but it’s all over the place.

I’ll measure the pickup height - this example is active Fishman Devin Townsend on the bridge. They don’t seem close and from my understanding of active pickups the height is less important but I’ll post the distance.

I’ll record a DI track and post ASAP, too.
Definitely not a ghost note, if I'm hearing what you're talking about. I'm hearing a faint "click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click"... sounds like clock noise or maybe even some cell phone interference?
It is the click, click, click that repeats and fades right after the note is picked. I was wondering about clock noise - I’ll double check the Mac settings. I would love to find out it’s some software setting (aka user error) since that would be the easiest fix! I’ll try with the USB disconnected, too.

Cell phone or Bluetooth/WiFi interference - would that be as rhythmic as it is or would it be random chirps and possibly present when not playing?
Are you on single coils? Does the intensity change if you move the guitar around the room?
This example is active Fishman Devin Townsend pickups. I’ll see if I can get a DI from a couple guitars - single coil included.

Moving from the source is a great idea. Definitely guilty of sitting right in front of a laptop and cell phone etc! That will be thing one I try tomorrow.

Ok. Finally got to the list of suggestions...

Clock settings seem fine - Axe is set to Internal and Mac is set to Default with Axe as the input/output device (it's the sole interface).
Tried with the USB disconnected - sound is the same
Moving around the room - sound is the same
Cell phone out of the room - sound is the same
Pickup height on the active pickups is ~5mm
Pickup height on the single coil passive is ~6mm

Also maybe worth mentioning the Axe is plugged into a Furman SS6B.

"Amped" tracks for the DI files - best with headphones or monitors and some volume for full effect.

DI files for each, here in Dropbox. Hope I got those right - I only have GarageBand and don't record so new territory for me.

I appreciate all the suggestions and anyone who's read this far!

OK, this may sound stupid, but are you wearing a wristwatch?

Some of my guitars pick up the faint tick of my watch when I play.
Not stupid at all - I didn't even think of an Apple Watch as potential interference. I removed it from the room but it didn't make a difference. It was worth a shot, though!
Are you clipping your input level, as it's always on the picking?
That was my initial thought as I've always thought my high gain sound a bit "crispy". Input 1 A/D Sensitivity is set at 17% - I get the Input 1 warning at 19% on the actives/bridge so I gave a little buffer. But the "clicks" show up even at 0...

If you’re recording in digital, GarageBand has a fixed 44.1 kHz sampling rate. To record the ax digitally you need a 48 kHz session to record correctly.

Yeah, good point about GarageBand. Not ideal. I'm sure I'll end up using Logic or Reaper at some point... this was just quick means to illustrate the "Click" sound I am getting on high gain.

Does it only happen on one note? I’ve had guitars do weird things I’ve chalked up to the instruments resonant frequency. A note would get either much louder, vibrate weirdly or have a sort of ghost note underneath but it was always one particular pitch.

Start diagnosing scientifically. Only on the AxeFX? Does it do it with every guitar? Eliminate things in the signal chain to see.

Hey Bruce, thanks - it’s all over the fretboard. Just that G string is the most pronounced. It happens on multiple guitars, too.

Good idea to build a super simple preset and see where it comes into play.

I don’t have another interface. A friend just got a QC so I’ll try that and see what happens.

May be worth a reset/reinstall, too. For what it’s worth it’s not the result of any specific firmware update.

All guitars do this? Garageband so that's Apple Mac. Does yours still have analog in and out? Is it USB C?
Maybe try to disconnect everything and go headphone out of the AX3. Maybe get something cheap like this to try:
1706561592273.png
The sample rate thing still sounds possible to me.
Unless you have some really strong and rythmic magnetic fields in your room.
I have Fishman single coils in a Strat and I find they are not totally silent. The dimmer for the halogen spots (yeah, ancient) in the studio we rehearse in does influence them.

Last edited:
Hey Dutch. Appreciate the response. I’ve tried just the axe and monitors with no usb at all and it still sounds the same. Using Garageband was just to be able to post samples since I don’t record.

At this point the only variables I haven’t removed are me, the axe, and the environment.

I’ll try my friend’s QC and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom