What is the typical Fractal user like? ;)

1) How many years do you play guitar?

Since 1979.. uggh.

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician?

Amateur to semi-pro.. i get paid at gigs (when they happen).

3) How long do you play guitar every day?

Sometimes none for days, sometimes a lot. Growing up it was 8 hours a day at least.. life gets in the way as you get older.

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician?

I'm currently in 1 cover band. I was in 2 at once recently, but left the other band as they were not progressing.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)?

Not enough... when a band i'm in gets going, usually 2x's a month, anything over gets old for me, i need some me time ;)

6) How many guitars do you own?

I'm up to around 15, my son has like 6-7... fav is my custom Anderson hollow drop top with a floyd and switch-a-roo.

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar?

Bass..duh.. drums i'm pretty good at... my throat is an instrument no?

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe?

Was going through re-tubing my rack and the cost was driving me insane, and then the new tubes sounded totally different... so fed up with tubes. Also wiring everything together, ground loops... wanted one self contained unit. Routing was great too, can put anything anywhere just about.

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe?

Sure.. I had the Ultra many moons ago, went to the II so i could stay up with updates.. was pretty happy with the Ultra really.

Last edited:

26 years.

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician?

Professional. I do session work and record, but primarily teach.

7 hours teaching and two practicing when working. When off, usually about three. I take one day a week off for headspace, and because my wife bothers me when I don't. :D

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician?

I play in three bands, acoustic duo gigs with a local singer, and sometimes do one man instrumental shows. I was recently offered another project, but haven't got the time, and yes, I get hired. I need to get paid for working.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)?

Nowadays, two per month (teaching is my main bag), but it can go up to five or six a week during summertime.

10 so far. I tend to buy for specific roles/jobs. Breakdown: 1 x 1960s 12 string, 1 x Acoustic, 1 x high end classical, 1 x 5 string bass, 1 x 8 string self build, 5 x 6 string electrics.

Four string Banjo, bass, and drums.

Replacing all my valve amps and pedals in one consice easily transportable unit, and to take the experimentation out of recording work (ie. to eliminate the need for a live room for guitar recording).

Yes. It's replaced everything else I owned, has worked out cheaper in the long run, and while I don't tweak much (apart from building my own presets and IRs), I use most of the amp sounds that it can do. Plus, I'm a handsome git, just like most of the other Axe owners. :D:D:D

Last edited:
OK, here is mine.

1)How many years do you play guitar? I have been playing for 37Yrs.

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? Amateur to Semi-professional. I have a full time Job, but this takes up about the same amount of time.

3) How long do you play guitar every day? I have two different types of weeks; Play weeks and Non play weeks. On pay weeks I play at least two hours a day working on the Next weekends songs. Usually 5 new songs. On non play weeks I play for me. That’s about two or three hours a day on refining me. I have a Truefire Account, and I use IrealB to practice and learn Jazz standards.

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? I play Churches.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? Play two to three times a month, plus 4 hour practice sessions on Wednesdays.

6) How many guitars do you own? 7 guitars 1 bass.

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? A little piano, drums, trombone, banjo, bass.

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? Quality, Consistency, portability, Community.

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Of course I do. I was always told by a used car and a big House. Which I did, but one thing I would add is buy the best possible Guitar processor that exists as you will not be disappointed.

A great product with great people who stand behind it and definitely a great community.

1) How many years do you play guitar? 52 years

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? All. Amateur, then pro, now semi-pro.

3) How long do you play guitar every day? Depends. Anywhere from not at all to several hours (depends on what else I have to do).

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? I play in Supernal Endgame (signed band on major label). I also play on worship team at church.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? A couple of gigs per month.

6) How many guitars do you own? Not sure. Over 20.

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? Keyboards, drums, bass, flute, and trumpet.

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? Sounds better than anything else. Portable. It's like having Guitar Center in a 2 rack space without the dumb@$$ sales people.

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Interesting question. Yes. I would think any serious player is worthy of the Axe. It will not fix bad playing but the tone of the bad playing will be better. ;-)

I have a lot to learn. However, I have been paid for gigs as of recently. I suppose that makes me a professional.

Around 1-2 hours.

I play in 1 band currently. I also have a side-project I just started up.

Around twice a month.

5. 1 Acoustic. 3 six-strings and 1 seven.

Bass!

I Love the veratility.

Hell yes. I saved up $2200 for that thing.

since 1982, so that’s 31 years, but I almost didn't touch any guitar between 2000 and 2003, playing computer games instead. That's when I took the "Fremen" nickname, as I needed one for a Quake 3 competition

An amateur with a semi-pro approach

I don’t play everyday, and sometime I don’t even touch my guitar for more than one week. When i play, it can be for 1 to 3 hours. These last years, most of my playing time was spent on tweaking presets on the Axe, and sometimes learning new songs for my cover bands.

I used to play in two cover bands but one has just split, and the other one is in the process of rebuilding a song list from scratch. I also had a band with original material, Feedback, which was well known here in Mauritius, and has been inactive since 2008. Just found that the band is listed in Metallum. See my blog for more details on my bands.
Some years ago I also used to get invited for guest solo appearance on various albums of local tropical music.

A couple oy years ago it was up to twice a month, but now the live club where I used to play has been converted to a discotheque, so it’s 3-5 times a year.

Three, two electrics (Ibanez RG520 QS and Line 6 JTV-89) and an acoustic (Yamaha FG336SB, got that one the year I started, in 1982)

I can play some bass and drums, or even keys but only for sequencing parts

8.) What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe?

Putting an end to 25 years of constantly changing gear, and losing money in the process, in search of “better” tone. I’ve been using digital processors since 1990 (Yamaha FX500) and up to the Axe, everything felt short. See my review of the Axe Standard for a longer story : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-reviews/18910-after-four-months.html

Why am I picturing Mike Myers on his knees right now ?

OK, here is mine.

1)How many years do you play guitar? First song I learned to play was Little Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and the Pharos in '66. Man that's 47 years.

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? Pro. I've supported myself with music since I was 16, including paying for four years at Berklee and 1 at Juilliard.

3) How long do you play guitar every day? I often play until utter collapse then start again when I can stand it.

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? I think I was born in a band, but I've played solo for the last 15 years.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? When I lived in Denver I was doing 200 shows a year. Since I changed my zip code to EIEIO I down to under 100.

6) How many guitars do you own? Down to 9.

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? Vocals, keys, bass, drums.

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe. Chasin' the tone bro!

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? What I consider myself worthy of and what the rest of the word considers me worthy of seldom intersect!

Almost 30 years... wow.

A decent amateur that has started gigging sporadically in the last year.

Due to my tech job and kid, not enough. I usually have to sneak time in on the weekend an hour or two during the week.

Yes. Beer money type gigs at sports bars.

As often as once a week but averaging once a month.

30? Probably more. I lost count. :) Got another coming Friday that I need to sneak in before the wife sees it.

Easy bass.

8) What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe?
So I could get as many amps as guitars.
Good variety of tones at moderate volumes. Effect. Lightweight and flexibility for gigging.

Sure. I don't feel worthy of 30+ guitars but that didn't stop me.

1) How many years do you play guitar? since the beginning, 28 years (including periods of hiatus)

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? sadly, amateur

3) How long do you play guitar every day? used to be for hours...since i got married, as long as i can before the missus gives me the stink eye (man, if looks could kill..)

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? used to play in college band, church, now bedroom...sigh

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? every week during active service days in church

6) How many guitars do you own? 14 electrics, 1 acoustic, 1 nylon

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? do ipad bongos count?

8 ) What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? curb my gas

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? it's just a piece of equipment, i don't attach self worth to it (hope that didn't come off too cocky!)

1) How many years do you play guitar? 20 or something, even if my playing level would indicate 20 weeks ^^

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? more than amateur, total noob !

3) How long do you play guitar every day? an average of 30 mins

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? hired for recording purposes, thanks to the axe ! :D

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? N/A

6) How many guitars do you own? 3 electrics, 1 acoustic

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? no

8) What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? ability to get the tones i always dreamed of, simpler setup, perfect for home studio and playing with friends, professional tone for less than a full amp stack...

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Absolutely not, i dont tickle his little buttons often enough ;)

1) How many years do you play guitar? 26, though for the majority of those years I focused on bass nearly exclusively. Now, guitar is the focus, yet I still play bass regularly.

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? Amateur. I do, however, play at my local church (mostly bass, occasionally guitar), but do not get paid.

3) How long do you play guitar every day? Lately, I'd say I average 2 hrs. per day. That's my minimum goal.

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? I play in one band, at my church. I really just enjoy playing at home alone the most.

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? Once per week.

6) How many guitars do you own? 5 electrics, 1 electric-acoustic, 1 acoustic, and 3 basses.

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? Bass, a little on keyboards.

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? I'm a bedroom guitarist. Cranking an amp isn't really an option for me. I'm also very picky about tone and prefer a huge variety of tones available as my tastes change frequently.

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Absolutely, I paid for it.

1) Been playing guitar nearly 13 years.

2) Sort of all of the above haha ... my band Friend For A Foe (http://www.facebook.com/friendforafoe) is signed to an indie label (Myriad Records) and we do play shows/tour and I've been in several other bands before. I also record a lot of bands and occasionally do some sessioning during tracking if need be. However, all that is my "night" job ... I work full-time active duty Navy and am a father (my "real" jobs). While that's the professional side, my playing is on the amateur side haha. I feel as if I can always get better and there's always more to learn.

3) I try to get at LEAST an hour a day, but that's all dependent on when work/wife/baby allow. Usually a lot more on the weekends.

4) As mentioned, I play guitar and do the production for Friend For A Foe as well as do studio work for bands. I also do live sound for a gigging 80s cover-band (with a modern feel).

5) Last year was sort of a disaster (won't go into details) ... only played FOUR shows last year where we were offered/had the ability to do 30+ if not more. This year there will be many many more.

6) Five guitars, two basses

7) Bass, drums, piano/keys, clarinet (lol) ... dabbled with viola/violin, failed at banjo

8) Amps/cabs aren't exactly apartment/deployment-friendly so I opted to go for digital modeling. I was doing the Line 6 Pod and other VST plugins for a while in order to be portable and courteous to my neighbors. Once I had heard about the Axe-FX Ultra, I was hooked. MUCH better quality, convenient, and makes writing that much easier with all the tonal possibilities ... if you can think it, it can be made.

9) Not in the least ... I can only strive to be more Axe-FX-y by praising Axe-FX, preaching Axe-FX, worshipping Axe-FX, and bask in the glory that is Axe-FX. ALL GLORY TO THE AXE-FX!! Sorry ... I drank the Kool-Aid

1) How many years do you play guitar? 25 or so years

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? Amateur/Semi-Professional (I get paid...if that counts lol). But, I have a day job unfortunately lol

3) How long do you play guitar every day? Play every day as much as time permits.....sometimes for hours if possible

I am in one band currently and working on a 2nd project now. Both are cover bands

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? Mostly 1-2 per month

6) How many guitars do you own? Six (at the moment) lol

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? Only guitar - used to play drums in HS since it was the only instrument I was drawn to. lol

8. What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? I worked up to the AxeII. I had many other processors before the AxeII (G-system, Boss, Line6, etc.) lots of stomp boxes and pedalboards etc. But, I looked for the BEST ALL IN ONE solution and the AxeII was just that for me. Allows me to create and incorporate a big rigs or make it simple without having to compromise a thing.

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Yes, I think the AxeII is great and consider myself 'worthy' lol.

27 years with some breaks in the middle. I started playing in 1986 (in jr high), played all the time for about 12 years and then got kinda burned out on music for a while (mostly because of overly intense classical piano lessons and a band experience that ended awkwardly). Didn't really play at all for quite a while, and then gradually picked it up again over the last 5-10 years and came back to playing regularly for the past couple of years.

Totally amateur, just for fun these days. I still can't play as well as I used to. Or at least not as well as I think I used to :)

Usually about an hour at a time, 3-5 days/week, sometimes more on the weekends.

I jam with some guys from work once a week. Otherwise it's just noodling around by myself.

We annoy other people at work from time to time :) No real gigs in a long time though.

6 plus a bass. Probably too many, but, you know how it goes.

Used to play classical piano but not for a long time. I play around with software synths sometimes, electronica/dance stuff as a break from the guitar-based stuff that I usually play.

I've gone up the POD line (2.0, X3, HD500) and was never really satisfied with them. I finally decided to try the "real deal".

Um, not really :) Even though I think it's awesome I still sometimes think I don't "deserve" it, but I have that problem a lot with nice/expensive things. Whenever I decide I should just go back to the pod it doesn't last very long though!

40+.....where did the time go?

I usually get compensated for my work, but I haven't quit my day job.

I try to get at least an hour in per day. I have a new set of 5 songs to learn each week, so whatever it takes. The Axe has been inspiration to develop new tones and noodle endlessly.

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands?
I play in a church band weekly, and get summoned to play when needed in other bands. I'm a guitar mercenary!

5) How often do you perform live?
At least once a week.

8 ele, 2 Acoustic, 1 Pedal Steel, 1 Lap Steel

I try my hand at Pedal Steel occasionally.

8. What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe?
When covering a song, I like to come as close to the tones on the original recording. The Axe is a great tool to help me get there.

Doggone it! I'm worth it.

1) How many years do you play guitar? 30 Years

2) Do you consider yourself an amateur, semi-professional or professional musician? Amateur

3) How long do you play guitar every day? Between Zero and 3 hours (depending on how much real life gets in the way) Usually 3-5 hrs a week at present but that will hopefully increase to 10 hrs a week when the house renovations are complete....

4) Do you play in a band or even multiple bands? If so, how many projects do you run at the same time? Or do you get "hired" for jobs aka, being a professional musician? Play in one band for fun with a group of friends, I used to teach and do a little session work

5) How often do you perform live (some gigs in a year, a couple of gigs per month or even per week)? 2-3 times a year for fun

6) How many guitars do you own? 6

7) Do you play any other instruments besides guitar? I've only got 2 hands!

What was your ultimate reason to buy the Axe? I'm a vintage tone / tube amp lover and my curiosity got the better of me after reading all the glowing reviews. I'm glad I did!

9) Kind of a funny question: Do you consider yourself 'worthy' of the Axe? Changes from day to day really. Some days I think that this unit was designed exactly for my needs and I wonder how I ever played without it, other days (when my playing is below par) I think "I'm not worthy" and I should just be using a Roland cube......

Back
Top Bottom