What is the deal with FRFR cab makers?

PSA/FYI

Atomic CLRs are available again in their store with no wait list. They have gone up in price but that is no surprise given inflation & scarcity of parts. I saw a post from Tom King on TGP from earlier this month saying he finally received parts that were ordered 2 years ago.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in Atomic other than being a satisfied customer.
https://shop.atomicamps.com/collections/products/products/atomic-clr-neo-mkii

CLR Update:

True to his word, Tom received and fixed my power/dsp assembly fast: under a day! He is going to warranty the repair for 2 years. I should get the CLR back together next week, and am really looking forward to it. Repair cost, including return shipping, just under $220.

As Tom told me last week, he is working on getting Atomic back on its feet and in better stead with players. I’ve said from the beginning that he has a great product, but terrible product support was its Achilles heel. I sincerely hope he’ll keep the great sound quality we all love, and become the solid support facility we all expect from our suppliers. It can only help us all to have more good options. As @notalemming reports, it looks like the wheels are turning.

I‘ll let y’all know when it’s back and tested. I hope to have very good news.

CLR Update:

True to his word, Tom received and fixed my power/dsp assembly fast: under a day! He is going to warranty the repair for 2 years. I should get the CLR back together next week, and am really looking forward to it. Repair cost, including return shipping, just under $220.

As Tom told me last week, he is working on getting Atomic back on its feet and in better stead with players. I’ve said from the beginning that he has a great product, but terrible product support was its Achilles heel. I sincerely hope he’ll keep the great sound quality we all love, and become the solid support facility we all expect from our suppliers. It can only help us all to have more good options. As @notalemming reports, it looks like the wheels are turning.

I‘ll let y’all know when it’s back and tested. I hope to have very good news.
The world, well, maybe just the world of guitarists using modelers, needs reliable, good quality, accurate cabinets. I’m happy with what I use, but it would have been nice to have had some more choices when I was looking.

Electronic component supplies still seem to be constrained; I watch RED SOUND and some others because I’d like some 8”-based cabs but keep seeing “Out of stock” notices.

The world, well, maybe just the world of guitarists using modelers, needs reliable, good quality, accurate cabinets. I’m happy with what I use, but it would have been nice to have had some more choices when I was looking.

Electronic component supplies still seem to be constrained; I watch RED SOUND and some others because I’d like some 8”-based cabs but keep seeing “Out of stock” notices.
There’s no doubt, amplification options (especially top quality, purpose built ones) are the speed bump keeping modelers from the growth they could be experiencing. It’s one of the reasons I hope Atomic does make that turnaround and earn some trust back in the community. But I’d love to see the options continue to expand, and have a Fractal Audio or PRS type experience in performance and support with my speakers, too!

I’d love to see the options continue to expand, and have a Fractal Audio or PRS type experience in performance and support with my speakers, too!
I’d like to see Fractal do it too, but I don’t want to see Fractal spread themselves too thin. I’d rather they focus on their primary product, especially these days with such difficulty getting parts. I’m sure they would create a killer product though.

I’d like to see Fractal do it too, but I don’t want to see Fractal spread themselves too thin. I’d rather they focus on their primary product, especially these days with such difficulty getting parts. I’m sure they would create a killer product though.
Oh yeah, I agree with you. I’d really rather the stayed in their lane, though I’d surely buy one if they made one. I mean the customer experience I’ve had with FAS and PRS. Both have been levels above of any other musical purchase experience for me.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I’d really rather the stayed in their lane, though I’d surely buy one if they made one. I mean the customer experience I’ve had with FAS and PRS. Both have been levels above of any other musical purchase experience for me.
Agreed. I had my PRS 509 in to replace a pickup I (accidentally) broke when adjusting it, and decided to have them do a full setup on it, because, when I got it someone had done their idea of a setup. It was expensive, mostly because of shipping and they charge a good amount for those particular pickups, but, dang, it plays really well with the factory setup. It's good enough that I have no interest in changing it.

UPDATE: CLR

Amp module on it's way back (sorry, was out of town a few days), should see it shortly. Tom said he replaced the DSP and two amp modules, though he couldn't replicate the issue I was having. Fortunately, I did catch a snippet of it on video, so he worked from that. It was an intermittent problem, so I know those can be hard to fix. The car never makes "that noise" when the mechanic is looking...

At any rate, I hope to have the speaker back together for some hard test runs within the week.

UPDATE: CLR

Amp module on it's way back (sorry, was out of town a few days), should see it shortly. Tom said he replaced the DSP and two amp modules, though he couldn't replicate the issue I was having. Fortunately, I did catch a snippet of it on video, so he worked from that. It was an intermittent problem, so I know those can be hard to fix. The car never makes "that noise" when the mechanic is looking...

At any rate, I hope to have the speaker back together for some hard test runs within the week.
He actually called me last Friday wanting to make it right, mines been over a year process, sent to him beginning of January 2022. Received it back in May $250 later and wasn’t fixed. Many many attempts to contact him and finally called me Friday. He said less than a week turnaround, no charge! He should get it tomorrow morning. Optimistic!
I believe the problem has been no parts available.

He actually called me last Friday wanting to make it right, mines been over a year process, sent to him beginning of January 2022. Received it back in May $250 later and wasn’t fixed. Many many attempts to contact him and finally called me Friday. He said less than a week turnaround, no charge! He should get it tomorrow morning. Optimistic!
I agree. He hasn’t handled it well, not remaining in contact with those who were waiting, and he’ll have to own that… I’m sure he permanently lost some customers. But he’s been steadily in touch and taking care of business since we had the first phone conversation, so I’m hopeful that’s a genuine turning point. The CLR is the best FRFR I’ve heard, and it can only help everyone (Tom included) for Atomic to get back up and running, both selling and servicing speakers.

Reactions: RDH
That's great!

Gotta say though, whatever the problems were behind the scene, just going dark on everyone who reached out to him is, uh, poor business practice.

He lost my potential business just by watching this mess. All the Atomic, SheTones, all BS customer service non response... can suck it!

I'm going to build my own from pro level components for about half the cost. If I have to send them back to the shop, it will be a short walk.

I will post dimensions, parts lists (BOM), programming, sources, analysis, graphs and charts, everything ... for free. The current state of high end priced FRFR for way below amateur customer service is done. Screw these fools

Last edited:
Fortunately, I did catch a snippet of it on video, so he worked from that. It was an intermittent problem, so I know those can be hard to fix.
What was the symptom? Did it occur after the unit had been powered on for some length of time, or could it happen immediately on power-up?

I will post dimensions, parts lists (BOM), programming, sources, analysis, graphs and charts, everything ... for free. The current state of high end priced FRFR for way below amateur customer service is done. Screw these fools

Yeah, please do. I always have projects stewing in my head. Usually about guitar stuff. I need a light carry powered wedge. Some recent postings about diy Icepower amps. I’m headed in that direction.

Yeah, please do. I always have projects stewing in my head. Usually about guitar stuff. I need a light carry powered wedge. Some recent postings about diy Icepower amps. I’m headed in that direction.
I am looking at the MiniDsp amps with IcePower that have spdif/AES digital ins and FFT FIR filters that can interface with REW and the MiniDsp Umic.
Cliff has mentioned that he is fond of the similar Hypex plate amps.

They are in another league from the parts express stuff.

Also the pro level celestion coax 12s are a big step up from the F12-200

https://celestion.com/product/ftx1225/

I am looking at the MiniDsp amps with IcePower that have spdif/AES digital ins and FFT FIR filters that can interface with REW and the MiniDsp Umic.
Cliff has mentioned that he is fond of the similar Hypex plate amps.

They are in another league from the parts express stuff.

Also the pro level celestion coax 12s are a big step up from the F12-200

https://celestion.com/product/ftx1225/
I'd like to see carbon fiber or something 3D printed for the cabinet so the acoustics of the cabinet can be engineered as perfectly as can be, and strong and light.

Back
Top Bottom