What is the deal with FRFR cab makers?

I am looking at the MiniDsp amps with IcePower that have spdif/AES digital ins and FFT FIR filters that can interface with REW and the MiniDsp Umic.
Cliff has mentioned that he is fond of the similar Hypex plate amps.

They are in another league from the parts express stuff.

Also the pro level celestion coax 12s are a big step up from the F12-200

https://celestion.com/product/ftx1225/

Those are pricey. Is that what some of the higher end FRFR’s are using? I have a F12 cab, which I like a lot. Always looking for improvement though.

Those are pricey. Is that what some of the higher end FRFR’s are using? I have a F12 cab, which I like a lot. Always looking for improvement though.
No, those 12s are next level in power handling and freq response. The resonant freq is lower (from 60Hz in the F12) at 50 Hz and the crossover point is 1900Hz for the compression driver.. and at 600W program!

The MiniDsp amps are either 48k or 96k with 12 bands input and 6 bands output of parametric eq. Custom biquad filters supported, crossover slopes up to 48db / octave. Ethernet port, digital or balanced/unbalanced ins, bridgable.

It would be a bit of overkill, but a righteous backline.

No, those 12s are next level in power handling and freq response. The resonant freq is lower (from 60Hz in the F12) at 50 Hz and the crossover point is 1900Hz for the compression driver.. and at 600W program!

The MiniDsp amps are either 48k or 96k with 12 bands input and 6 bands output of parametric eq. Custom biquad filters supported, crossover slopes up to 48db / octave. Ethernet port, digital or balanced/unbalanced ins, bridgable.

600 watts. Haha I’ll never need that much. It certainly doesn’t hurt to have headroom. Looking forward to seeing your design. I’ll be scaled down from where you’re going and not building until next year. So I have time to scheme on things.

Yes. I’ve tried to find some in the shops that are supposed to carry them and none have anything in stock.

I didn’t see what they go for but I’m sure they’re not cheap. Italian company so probably tough to get in the US. I wish them the best luck. Great concept.

I’ve done woodworking, metal working, amps, all kinds of stuff. Haven’t looked at carbon fiber much, but I know it involves carbon fiber and resin. The speaker the guy posted was I think 11lbs. That’s nuts.

Does anyone actually make this combination of amp and speaker, or is this a diy idea?

Do tell. What have you built, and for whom?

Patent numbers would go a long way towards supporting that allegation. I'll wait....
Hang around a while. You will figure it out.
I'm not here promoting anything.

Share some of that wisdom of yours, waveguide physics, Klipsh projects. Awesome stuff there. Way over my head.

I take it you are in the FRFR business ?
With most of your 31 posts being about Atomic and CLR, and not really about Fractal. Perhaps you could speak to the dismal customer service situation... in the vendor forum 😉

🙂👍

Last edited:
What was the symptom? Did it occur after the unit had been powered on for some length of time, or could it happen immediately on power-up?
It was always after running a while, although that could be as short as 10 minutes if the unit had been played on and warmed up, then restarted. There were times it didn’t do it at all, but most were within an hour or so. It always started up from cold sounding fine.

That’s what made it so hard to identify. I think that’s why he just replaced the modules, to make sure the faulty part didn’t get back in my cab.

Last edited:
It was always after running a while, although that could be as short as 10 minutes if the unit had been played on and warmed up, then restarted.
It's a component overheating, then. It can be impossible to make that kind of failure occur with the module out of the cab, because then it won't get as hot.

Which generation CLR is yours?

It's a component overheating, then. It can be impossible to make that kind of failure occur with the module out of the cab, because then it won't get as hot.

Which generation CLR is yours?
Neo Mk II, if I recall. Definitely Neo, pretty sure Mk II

i'm lost it's hard to find a good FRFR
is there any ( AES/EBU ) FRFR out there?
did they fix the EV distortion problem ?
any advice !

I've been searching for monitors that would be the next level up from my CLR's, without getting into Meyer Sound $. The options seem very limited. Also, its very difficult to even know what to look for since there are so few stores/businesses that sell mid to upper level monitors. Anyone here have any suggestions for monitors that would be in between a CLR and a Meyer MJF-212A?

I've been searching for monitors that would be the next level up from my CLR's, without getting into Meyer Sound $. The options seem very limited. Also, its very difficult to even know what to look for since there are so few stores/businesses that sell mid to upper level monitors. Anyone here have any suggestions for monitors that would be in between a CLR and a Meyer MJF-212A?
i'm lost it's hard to find a good FRFR
is there any ( AES/EBU ) FRFR out there?
There is just not much out there. That is what has convinced me to build something custom.

There is just not much out there. That is what has convinced me to build something custom.
Very interesting can you share some ideas?

When you run axe 3 thru aes/ebu into sound card and studio monitors it's sounds big and amazing.
No converting process.
is it possible to make it happen on FRFR ? With DSP built-in.

Back
Top Bottom