What is that one piece of gear you wish you never sold?

You didn't sell those shorts did you? I probably looked a lot like that when I was that age. Same hair for sure. SoCal in the 80s same taste in fashion too. Fast forward and I have the same hairline as you now. :)

Is that a GK stuck on your guitar? It looks different.
Sadly, I'm not sure what the fate of those shorts was... I'm sure I didn't get rid of them. Probably my wife ;)

Yes, that's a GK-2A pickup for use with a GR-30.

Sadly, I'm not sure what the fate of those shorts was... I'm sure I didn't get rid of them. Probably my wife ;)

Yes, that's a GK-2A pickup for use with a GR-30.

It looks very different from mine. I have this one installed on a partscaster with heavy gage strings for recording down tuned stuff, and I have a Godin with a built in hexaphonic and midi output in standard tuning. I only really use the midi outputs for composition and recording sketch tracks. It is nice since I can do guitar, bass and keys all at once then I send it off to bandmates so they can record the actually good bass and key parts. We worked this way over the pandemic a lot. I never use it live though. It would probably piss our keyboard player off! He can be grumpy about that kind of stuff.

gk-2a-pic.jpg

Way too many to list but:

1. Marshall Jubilee 25/50 Head bought new in 87, sold for £400 2-3 years later before the prices soared (was so loud!)
2. Blonde Bassman Head, got a good price and was unbelievably loud. But with modern load boxes would have been amazing
3. 1954 Goldtop Les Paul, I needed the money but could have held on for the three months between selling it and the price doubling. To be fair my Murphy Lab R9 is better
4. 1956 Esquire - sold at the same time as the Les Paul, should have mugged people to raise the money instead of selling it

It looks very different from mine. I have this one installed on a partscaster with heavy gage strings for recording down tuned stuff, and I have a Godin with a built in hexaphonic and midi output in standard tuning. I only really use the midi outputs for composition and recording sketch tracks. It is nice since I can do guitar, bass and keys all at once then I send it off to bandmates so they can record the actually good bass and key parts. We worked this way over the pandemic a lot. I never use it live though. It would probably piss our keyboard player off! He can be grumpy about that kind of stuff.

View attachment 120659
Probably because it's installed at a weird angle...

I did use it live at one point on several songs: violin, nylon string guitar + pads, piano (doubled with clean electric).

I haven't had the option to have a keyboard player in a long time.

These days, if I needed to, I'd use Midi Guitar 2 with an iPad and blend it into my Fractal rig... I can use it with any guitar without a special pickup or cable (the 13-pin cables are a drag!) and it tracks as good as the Roland.

Here are a few from the list of things I once had and sometimes miss.

1984 Ric 4001
Univox Super Fuzz
1978 Wine Red Telecaster
1997 PRS McCarty
1992 Les Paul Standard
1976 Mattel Optigan
1992 SGC Bass Collection 4-string
Arp Odyssey
Roland JC-120 (STOLEN!)
1972 Fender Twin (STOLEN!)
1964 Harmony Rocket (STOLEN!)

Probably because it's installed at a weird angle...

I did use it live at one point on several songs: violin, nylon string guitar + pads, piano (doubled with clean electric).

I haven't had the option to have a keyboard player in a long time.

These days, if I needed to, I'd use Midi Guitar 2 with an iPad and blend it into my Fractal rig... I can use it with any guitar without a special pickup or cable (the 13-pin cables are a drag!) and it tracks as good as the Roland.

I tried Midi Guitar 2. I was impressed with its tracking too - better than the GK not as good as the Godin but close. But the main deal breaker for me was the inability to separately voice the strings. I like having independent midi channels assigned to each string for the stuff I'm composing. The arrangements you can accomplish that way are great for writing.

Lately I've been grabbing the 2 highest strings and assigning those channels to a horn section. Up or down tune the keyboard parts by an octave, add a 5th to the horns and Bob's your Uncle - an instant and inspiring jazz arrangement comes out while while composing.

Last edited:
Here are a few from the list of things I once had and sometimes miss.

1984 Ric 4001
Univox Super Fuzz
1978 Wine Red Telecaster
1997 PRS McCarty
1992 Les Paul Standard
1976 Mattel Optigan
1992 SGC Bass Collection 4-string
Arp Odyssey
Roland JC-120 (STOLEN!)
1972 Fender Twin (STOLEN!)
1964 Harmony Rocket (STOLEN!)
Ouch the stolen gear would hurt - Sorry!

Knock wood ... I have never had a piece of gear stolen. Misplaced or left behind plenty but it always made its way back to me.

Honestly, I don't think there's anything I really regret selling.

I'm sure there will come a time when I wish I still had my Fulltone FD-1 born on April 18th of I forget which year (it's a significant date). But, I wasn't using it and it was just going to collect dust for who-knows how long.

I've only sold a few guitars...one of them was my first guitar. I hhalf-intellectually think I might regret that at some point. But...I wasn't using it and had no desire to. It was good for a first guitar (epiphone SG) but just wasn't right for me. It turned into about 1/3 of a birth year MIJ Strat.

Quite a few, but the stand-outs:
1970s Orange OR120 Overdrive head
1995 Hamer Special, cherry red
1984 Mesa Boogie Mk. IIC+, 60W, GEQ, no reverb, cream tolex, s/n 12118

All left because either I needed something else and couldn't afford to keep what I had, or, in the Orange's case, because it needed new EL34s and I couldn't afford them.

Poverty sux....

My old UV777GR. Needed the money for university. Thought I could buy it back once I was done school. Nope. I didn't realize at the time how few were made in this configuration. What numbers survive are either beat to shit or priced way beyond what I'm willing to pay.

But that's the only regret. So doing pretty good all around there.

View attachment 120653
I bought one brand new in the early 90's after grunge hit for like $900.00 US! I loved that thing, sadly, it got stolen on a tour. Many years later I found another one in pretty good condition, but with some slight cosmetic damage for like $1000.00, I snapped it right up, and even though I hardly ever play it now, I'll never sell it. lol.

I bought one brand new in the early 90's after grunge hit for like $900.00 US! I loved that thing, sadly, it got stolen on a tour. Many years later I found another one in pretty good condition, but with some slight cosmetic damage for like $1000.00, I snapped it right up, and even though I hardly ever play it now, I'll never sell it. lol.
Yup. I bought mine for a coworker at the video rental shop I worked at. Case queen. Had lived under his bed. Paid $700 CANADIAN for it! Unreal. Sold it for $1500 to cover tuition fees.

You should never, ever, ever sell the one you have now! :D

My wife bought me the anniversary JEM in LNG model. So that's my "replacement" now. I'd love to get the 7th string back at some point.

Back
Top Bottom