What is that one piece of gear you wish you never sold?

Infuseguitar

Inspired
I think a lot of us had sold a piece of gear at one time or another that we wish we hadn’t. What is that one piece that you wish you didn’t and why?
Here’s my sellers remorse story. About 20 years ago I had a 1984 Kramer Focus 3000 with original Floyd Rose that I traded for a JCM-900 2100 100-Watt head. At the time it was a great swap but I’m not sure why I did it. I didn’t need another amp. At that time I had several. This was what I considered my 1st "real guitar” compared to what I had at the time. My old man bought it for me brand new for my 14th birthday. I’m not sure if it's sentimental or not but I really wish I never traded it.

Oh there's a lot I wish I hadn't gotten rid of but my top 3 would be.
My USA Jackson Soloist, had a Kahler and 2 Humbuckers, I had no idea what year it was but after I sold it the guy that bought it told me it was an early 80's.
Washburn N4 Davies, and my Jem7VSBL

Nothing that I miss too much now, but a few minor regrets.
  • A bunch of OD-DS pedals I sold but wish I hadn't as I subsequently started collecting them (but no biggie - Axfx does them all anyway)..
  • 2 Marshall 212s I should have kept and swapped some new speakers into.
  • Mini Recto - never figured it out to my liking - would probably get further now.
I feel like I've been fairly efficient over the years - bulding up to an overall collection of gear and guitars that works as a whole for everything I want / might want, to do, and without too many u-turns requiring a lot of costly sell/buy cycles - but even at that, I probably could have avoided spending 1/2 the $ I've spent on this hobby since starting from scratch in the mid 2000s.

Last edited:
I sold a couple PRS for far less than they should have sold for, but I dont miss them.

I dont really have seller’s remorse. Out of sight out of mind.

I probably would if I sold my 96 les paul standard, which is why I didnt!

The only piece I really wish I hadn't sold was about 15 years ago, when my gear swapping was at a high, was a
black '68 reissue Les Paul Custom with nickel hardware. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just sold it to try the
next best thing.......now that I really want one again they're almost twice as much. Oh well......

Last edited:
Geez…lots, but the one thing I don’t think I’ll ever exactly find again was a 1993 Fender Jeff Beck Strat in Surf Green. (Or is it seafoam) Anyway I got a great deal when I bought it. It was in mint condition and paid $850 with tweed case. I sold it when I needed money.
The piece of gear I wish I still had and it wasn’t because I sold it was an early 70’s EHX Big Muff π Rams Head just like Gilmour used. It was pretty beat up and started to get intermittent. This was before I had electronics background and understood how easy it would have been to fix. Probably just a bad solder joint. it sat around not getting used and one day I was getting rid of stuff and I just looked at it and threw it in the garbage. Stupid!!

My very first real guitar is missed. That’s more nostalgia than it being something great. It was an excellent guitar though. 1982 Ibanez AR50. Solid guitar in every way. Well, pups were swapped. Had a 70’s Fender Bandmaster with a JBL that would be nice to still own.

With me it was a amp. Seymour Duncan Convertible 100-Watt Guitar Amp.
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/the-100-watt-guitar-amp

Tube amp, 2 channel, but what made it unique?? A modular preamp design, swapping them around you could get all sorts of amp sounds. At the time for me it was all about the Marshall, Fender sounds but quickly discovered the Mesa Mark series. The Ducan nailed them all.
Wow I remember this amp. Back in the 80’s there was a music store close to my school that had one. I’d go in there at least twice a week grab the same BC Rich and plug into that amp. The shop owner was surprisingly cool with me blasting away whatever noise I was making back then.

Had a Tele and a Les Paul that I played back in the 60's that I wish I still had, but mostly for their current value. But my biggest regret is the Vox AC30 I brought back from playing in Europe and traded for a Fender Bandmaster, which never really worked for me.

1977 Gibson Explorer and an Ampeg Vt-40 amp. Those explorers are worth a lot right now - I'm not sure how much I would play it but it would look great hanging on my wall!

The VT-40 was probably the heaviest combo amp ever built. I think it was like 70lbs. But it was an amazing and versatile amp 60 watts with 4 10 inch Jensen speakers. The rocker switches for EQ were way ahead of their time! I posted in another thread that I used to joke it had a built-in plate reverb and that is why it was so damn heavy. It would be great sitting here in my studio though!

I found this video about someone who just restored one. Made me regret that sale for sure!

Last edited:
My old UV777GR. Needed the money for university. Thought I could buy it back once I was done school. Nope. I didn't realize at the time how few were made in this configuration. What numbers survive are either beat to shit or priced way beyond what I'm willing to pay.

But that's the only regret. So doing pretty good all around there.

1683483062566.png

I sometimes wish I'd kept my Charvel Fusion Deluxe Rainbow Crackle... I traded it for a used 1987 Ibanez S540Pro. It was the first one, and that started my decades long affair with them.

So, I don't regret it, but I do wish I'd kept it :)

Here are pics of both guitars:

E9AD8157-D918-4B84-8308-BCD0FBEDB3AF.jpeg481FD244-71EA-4371-80A6-082E18D20AAB.jpeg

I sometimes wish I'd kept my Charvel Fusion Deluxe Rainbow Crackle... I traded it for a used 1987 Ibanez S540Pro. It was the first one, and that started my decades long affair with them.

So, I don't regret it, but I do wish I'd kept it :)

Here are pics of both guitars:

View attachment 120654View attachment 120655

You didn't sell those shorts did you? I probably looked a lot like that when I was that age. Same hair for sure. SoCal in the 80s same taste in fashion too. Fast forward and I have the same hairline as you now. :)

Is that a GK stuck on your guitar? It looks different.

Back
Top Bottom