What do you use your Axe-FX for? 4 Food or 4 Fun?

Food or Fun?

• Food

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Fun

Votes: 31 81.6%

• Total voters

Piing

Axe-Master
I fall into the fun category. The Axe-FX II has arrived too late to my music career, although I still used the Standard and the Ultra on my latest paid gigs.

Of course, I imagine that all Pro's are getting a lot of fun with the Axe, but I am wondering how many of us use it only as a hobby.

Last edited:
Fun.

I did the math and it was more cost effective to go with the Axe-FX II than to buy & sell amps & effects.

Both really.
Music is my life and it's what I do. The Axe Fx Ultra came in to my life when I was about to spend a ton of money on mics,tube amp,and a cabinet.
It was a game changer in every aspect and with the II things are on another level. Really looking forward to getting back in the inspiration zone,practicing,
and working on my record.

Fun. My amp GAS has ended, my guitar GAS increased... But what I really need is the ultimate FRFR solution. Looking forward to the Atomic CLR reviews!

Fun at the mo.. Itching to make a little food here n there ... Actually probably to fund a new matrix setup and MFC :)

Fun Fun Fun!!

Music is an antidote to work for me and I like to keep that way. Never good enough to be a pro anyway....:D

I've always presumed the vast majority of AFX II owners are hobbyists or weekend players with a few full-time pros in the mix. That's why the gravity of the debates which occur on here sometimes are so amusing.

Num Num, I had nowhere to record but the studio and now I just record at home or at our small studio, so it gave me a lot of options and fantastic high end result. Not to mention that studio costs would have been 2-3 times the price of the Axe Fx by now so it's a very good investment, remind me again why did I pay for the Axe-Fx alone ? hmm I should start charging the band by the hour lol. I use it as an effects processor live with an amp and a few pedals in front.

Most of the sales of these units(Axe,KPA,Line6 etc...) are driven by home players. There are a ton of people worldwide who love to dabble at home with these things. Chase their favorite players tones, jam along with backing tracks, escape from the wife etc...

The vast majority of VH modded Marshall type tube amps(Bray,Rockstah etc...) are sold to home players chasing Eddie's tone.

The same goes for guitars. Who do you think buys the majority of all those pretty PRS guitars? Who buys the majority of Petrucci's guitars, Slash's guitars?

The average working stiff musician tends to keep things pretty simple

Last edited:
Fun Fun Fun!!

Music is an antidote to work for me and I like to keep that way. Never good enough to be a pro anyway....:D

I've always presumed the vast majority of AFX II owners are hobbyists or weekend players with a few full-time pros in the mix. That's why the gravity of the debates which occur on here sometimes are so amusing.
You should never say you're not good enough my friend. Don't sell yourself short I have seen so many virtuosos say the say same thing :)

Most of the sales of these units(Axe,KPA,Line6 etc...) are driven by home players. There are a ton of people worldwide who love to dabble at home with these things. Chase their favorite players tones, jam along with backing tracks, escape from the wife etc...

The vast majority of VH modded Marshall type tube amps(Bray,Rockstah etc...) are sold to home players chasing Eddie's tone.

The same goes for guitars. Who do you think buys the majority of all those pretty PRS guitars? Who buys the majority of Petrucci's guitars, Slash's guitars?

The average working stiff musician tends to keep things pretty simple
I know so many musicians using Fractal in their professional lives. You said fulltime musicians keep things simple,this is as simple as it get's
Getting the best sounds of all sorts of amps,effects,and all in your home studio or anywhere.

Food - since I was going broke buying and re-buying other gear for Fun and never had fun - I now have fun - with money left over for food.

I use it for lubrication. If I keep going to practices and gigs the wife gets testy-but if I bring home a little scratch now and again, the wife doesnt see the hobby as quite as much a waste of time. My goal is 200 bucks a month in my pocket, which covers the wifes' and 4 kids cell phones.

Both, but I'm far from full fridge funding - more fun than anything esle... Looking forward to the CLR FRFR plunge :)

While the AxeFx is a great flexible and lightweight tool in my working life it is also a lot of fun to explore the possiilities in shaping the amps and effects. I've really learned a lot and trained my ears in that area since I got one, and that is a lot of fun.

Jens

That's an interesting proposition. I have always wondered if I would like music as much if I had to do it for a living. I liken it to cooking. I love to cook. I had to work in a small restaurant as the chef/manager for a while and I did not enjoy doing it as much.

For now it provides an outlet for my creative needs and a great stress reliever. I love my Axe!

I don't do music full time, but I make around $6-$8k/yr doing it, which goes back into gear. Technically, I use gig money for food expenses on the road, so I guess both?

Back
Top Bottom