What do you prefer- active or passive tone stack?

Do you prefer it active or passive - tone stack wise?

• Total voters

hunter

Experienced
Obviously it depends on the application, but what do you guys use by default, active or passive tone stack?

Piing said:
None of them. I'm using Vintage, Usa Clean and others

Piing, those examples you use are passives, when you set the setting to passive it just automatically chooses the "right" tone stack for the amp, but it is passive.

Passive for me.

I use passive, but just because I wanted to stick with one and really know it before I try the other. I usually put an Eq after cab block

-R- said:
I use passive, but just because I wanted to stick with one and really know it before I try the other. I usually put an Eq after cab block
To echo what java just said, "PASSIVE" picks a different tonestack for different amps. Unless you're keeping to Marshalls or something, you would be using different tonestacks.

I use the PASSIVE most of the time now. I think most everyone converted once it was offered.

After running for a long time on the active stacks I switched over completely this week, I love the new (to me) passives. I thought I could get close to my favorite Mesa tones before, now they're scary!

The tonestack type is one of the first knobs I start spinning when I'm experimenting with a sound.

My main high-gain rhythm sound is the DAS Metal model with the Recto ORG tonestack. And my new pet sound is a modified 'Ex-Ta-See' preset using the Brownface tonestack. I'm totally blown away by the range of sounds I get from that patch, just by vol-knob and pickup selection.

The tonestack type is one of the first knobs I start spinning when I'm experimenting with a sound.

My main high-gain rhythm sound is the DAS Metal model with the Recto ORG tonestack. And my new pet sound is a modified 'Ex-Ta-See' preset using the Brownface tonestack. I'm totally blown away by the range of sounds I get from that patch, just by vol-knob and pickup selection.

I'm glad this topic has been brought up. Lets say I have a Top Boost amp called up. I have the tone stack set to Passive. How come when I switch the Tone Stack from Passive to Top Boost the overall sound changes.

Did that make sense??

Passive. Sounds smoother and 'more round' to my ears.

Funny thing is, if ever a patch I step through sounds a bit harsh it's usually put on active...

Joseph Hanna said:
I'm glad this topic has been brought up. Lets say I have a Top Boost amp called up. I have the tone stack set to Passive. How come when I switch the Tone Stack from Passive to Top Boost the overall sound changes.

Did that make sense??

I tried going from passive to top boost on a top boost patch. It sounded the same here.

Looks like passive is the winner.
I use it in 99% of the presets.
It sounds more organic, "real amp like".
I only use active when I try to "overpower" a problem.

;)

Now you gotta sit down guys: I started this post, not being aware that there was more besides "active" and "passive".

LOL!

Guess I should have RTFM :mrgreen:

Now there is even more to play. Goodness will this ever have an end?

It's funny. I love the concept of the active tonestack, but in practice I always use the passive one. I wonder whether Cliff might consider dropping the active tonestack code to make room for something else.

ElectricPhase said:
It's funny. I love the concept of the active tonestack, but in practice I always use the passive one. I wonder whether Cliff might consider dropping the active tonestack code to make room for something else.
ditto.
the alternative passive stacks are one of the most interesting tools for me to play with outside of the actual amp/cab selection

ElectricPhase said:
It's funny. I love the concept of the active tonestack, but in practice I always use the passive one.
Because I mix 'n' match tone stacks and amps, I've ended up mostly using the passive ones. I'd still really like to have the option of of a PEQ in place of the tone stack.

Back
Top Bottom