What are your favorite FRFR speakers?

The Friedman cabs are not known for being accurate but they thump really good and are a good halfway house between a real cab and legit frfr setup.

i don’t really care if foh is not getting the same sound that I’m getting due to tuning my preset via a non flat cab. A good sound engineer will eq it to taste anyway so I just worry about what sounds good to me with what I’m monitoring through.

Atomic CLR if price is no object, Headrush 108 if you want the most bang for very little bucks

This pretty much nails it! I used to have CLR and it is by far the best FRFR monitor out there. Very expensive as well.

I’m now waiting Headrush 108 to arrive and will see how it sounds. I love the formfactor and light weight + price is ”a steal”. Hopefully it ends up sounding great.

Our bands rehearsal space isn’t ideal when talking room acoustics. This has got me thinking, that do I get benefits of a high end monitor. All of the nice nuances of a great monitor are lost in a little space like ours.

I have two HR 1-12's for stereo, good sound for the price point, if I had deeper pockets I'd get a pair of EV's ETX-12P's

Celestion F12-x200 loaded into celestion spec cabs.
I invested a lot of time last night reading that 22-page thread about those speakers (started back when they were announced), and seems like the general consensus was they're a great speaker for both FRFR (I think they call them FRLR (L=Live)), yet have the feel of playing through a guitar cab, great for feedback, etc.

After a bunch of reading on the topic, I think this is what I want: Dial up a Plexi, and have it sound like I'm playing through a plexi, as opposed to sounding like the playback of a Plexi miked up in the next room. Dial up a Vox AC30... you get the idea.

But there was some back-and-forth about the best amp to use to get them to sound their best. I know you love em, so what amp do you use to drive them? IIRC, it's very important to have enough/the right type of power to drive them pretty hard.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, but there's the sound of the speakers to get the modelling of the Axe/FM3 right, and also the right feel aspect as well.

For more on budget I have a stereo rig with 2 GM50 (excellent,very dynamic & clear) and 2 The Box PA302 from thomann, connected to my motu 828es (EF3 connected with SPDIF)
I'm testing a unique Harley Benton FRFR112A for direct OUt1 connection (no use of the PC/MOtu).

I invested a lot of time last night reading that 22-page thread about those speakers (started back when they were announced), and seems like the general consensus was they're a great speaker for both FRFR (I think they call them FRLR (L=Live)), yet have the feel of playing through a guitar cab, great for feedback, etc.

After a bunch of reading on the topic, I think this is what I want: Dial up a Plexi, and have it sound like I'm playing through a plexi, as opposed to sounding like the playback of a Plexi miked up in the next room. Dial up a Vox AC30... you get the idea.

But there was some back-and-forth about the best amp to use to get them to sound their best. I know you love em, so what amp do you use to drive them? IIRC, it's very important to have enough/the right type of power to drive them pretty hard.

I'm in the same boat as the OP, but there's the sound of the speakers to get the modelling of the Axe/FM3 right, and also the right feel aspect as well.
IMO a good class A/B, H, or G Solid state power amp is probably the way to go. You want enough clean low THD power so you won't even come close to clipping. I play them super loud on occasion so I'm using a Behringer epx4000 class H 530watts per channel and it sounds and feels great. Originally I ordered a Crown class A/B but the company was dragging their feet so I sourced an amp local and the Behringer was all I could find. I was surprised its actually a Behringer product that works...for how long now the jury is still out. Lol
Basically I think something transparent and powerful is best for these since the Ax is what colors the sound and the f12 are rated at 200watts.

Edit: my one complaint with the Behringer is the fans are loud but not as loud as the one in my laptop. A QSC or Crown would probably be quieter. Think my Behringer is a copy of this:
https://www.qsc.com/solutions-products/power-amplifiers/portable/2-channel/gx-series/gx5/

Last edited:
I owned several frfr speakers. Matrix were, in my personal taste, hands down the best. I bought the active speakers to save rack space.
The hype around the red sound I just do not understand. As far as I know everybody always was on about frfr as a must to get the max out of the axe fx. Now Red sound and the mf thing comes out and it seems it all goes out the window. Imho frfr is a bit of an illusion. Put an frfr speaker on the floor and you get more bass. Put it on a stand and it is more neutral. 8” or 12” speaker also makes a difference just as there is a difference between a 1x12 and a 2x 12” frfr.
If up to me I’d always go for a 1x12” speaker that is designed to be frfr. The axe is built for that and I want to be able to go from fender to friedman to mesa to marshall whatever and My trust in Cliff is that solid that if he says that you should go for frfr, you better go for frfr.

I owned several frfr speakers. Matrix were, in my personal taste, hands down the best. I bought the active speakers to save rack space.
The hype around the red sound I just do not understand. As far as I know everybody always was on about frfr as a must to get the max out of the axe fx. Now Red sound and the mf thing comes out and it seems it all goes out the window. Imho frfr is a bit of an illusion. Put an frfr speaker on the floor and you get more bass. Put it on a stand and it is more neutral. 8” or 12” speaker also makes a difference just as there is a difference between a 1x12 and a 2x 12” frfr.
If up to me I’d always go for a 1x12” speaker that is designed to be frfr. The axe is built for that and I want to be able to go from fender to friedman to mesa to marshall whatever and My trust in Cliff is that solid that if he says that you should go for frfr, you better go for frfr.
I don't get the whole redsound hype either. To each their own. Matrix rack amps are also class A/B. Are the matrix frfr cabs as well? I've seen lots of people are happy with both matrix products. I'd like to get my hands on one of the cabs to A/B it against my f12 cab. Of course I was able to build two loaded cabs and get a cheap rack amp for less than what one matrix frfr cab costs. I'm with you on using a 12" speaker. The F12 pushes air and feels awesome. Especially cranked.

Last edited:
I use the CLR as a wedge and run both my guitar and vocals through it. If I want to bring a cab to a jam or whatever, I use the Laney LFR-112. I'm not too keen on the FRFR mode on it, so I turn off the cab sims in the Fractal and use the "1x12 emulation" on the Laney. I'm not quite sure what's going on there, but it's not like a close mic sound. Pretty sure it's not based on IR's, so maybe something more old school. Anyway, that solution feels immediate and satisfying to me, worth checking out.

Last edited:
I don't get the whole redsound hype either. To each their own. Matrix rack amps are also class A/B. Are the matrix frfr cabs as well? I've seen lots of people are happy with both matrix products. I'd like to get my hands on one of the cabs to A/B it against my f12 cab. Of course I was able to build two loaded cabs and get a cheap rack amp for less than what one matrix frfr cab costs. I'm with you on using a 12" speaker. The F12 pushes air and feels awesome. Especially cranked.

I have the matrix q12A. Before I bought it I contacted matrix. They said that there is soundwise no difference between buying the rack amp and the passive speakers and the active speakers. The only thing that is a “ downside” is that they can’t be tilted like a floor monitor. They are completely square. I did a little diy so I can use one as a floor monitor.
I am as happy as can be with my Matrix.

I tried the Atomica CLR and it wasn't my thing. I went with the XiTone wedge which to my ears is much better. I use that setup for smaller venues.
Larger shows, I use my all time favorite Gemini II cab. Such a nice lush sound and also in stereo. I had a ASM-12 for a bit and wasn't happy with that. I use them all with my Fractal and Kemper rigs.

Back
Top Bottom