What are your favorite FRFR speakers?

Xitone, Atomic, Matrix seem to be heavy favorites. I purchased a hr108 and an ASC-12. Both sound great yet I can't quite get the 100% satisfaction I am after. Currently trying a QSC k10.2 , researched many post on this forum and the majority of users do not recommend, all subjective I understand. My question about the frfr is if you do not prefer the qsc(just an example) yet qsc is very common in FOH systems, so when you send your signal to FOH is it a different sound because of the frfr you have on stage? Thought it was direct from the axe? If you are not in favor of say the QSC yet you end up sending your signal to a QSC, just an example of course. I have a lot to learn obviously. For me , if I can be happy with a qsc onstage, then it would be fairly transparent as to what's going out front as well?
To the OP, the Redsound videos I found sounded great, maybe not as well as others. Hard to say , be awsome to try a couple 1st hand. Thanks in advance for any much needed help. Cheers
I have a QSC k10.2 and I have been doing the tone chasing for years from the first Pod to a Kemper Stage with a Friedman ASC-10 and now The FM3 with the QSC. I also currently own a Mesa Roadking 2x12 combo with pedals as a rig in my original band and I absolutely love the QSC with the FM3. I get very authentic tones and amp in the room feeling while playing it loud and at lower volumes. I find the right IR's in conjunction with the quality of the QSC make me wanting nothing in a rig for my other 3 projects that need more varied sounds and flexibility. Tone is subjective and the amount of variety and options available are mind blowing to say the least! I find the QSC to be a great base to experiment with EQ's and IR's that work in many different styles and situations.

Just my 2 cents as someone who loves tube amps and has owned enough gear and sold enough to start a small music store lol....

I have a QSC k10.2 and I have been doing the tone chasing for years from the first Pod to a Kemper Stage with a Friedman ASC-10 and now The FM3 with the QSC. I also currently own a Mesa Roadking 2x12 combo with pedals as a rig in my original band and I absolutely love the QSC with the FM3. I get very authentic tones and amp in the room feeling while playing it loud and at lower volumes. I find the right IR's in conjunction with the quality of the QSC make me wanting nothing in a rig for my other 3 projects that need more varied sounds and flexibility. Tone is subjective and the amount of variety and options available are mind blowing to say the least! I find the QSC to be a great base to experiment with EQ's and IR's that work in many different styles and situations.

Just my 2 cents as someone who loves tube amps and has owned enough gear and sold enough to start a small music store lol....
Very cool! I know the doesn't feel like an amp quote is redundant term. I love the feel I get with the frfrs and the axe3. Nothing I want any different. As far as matching a traditional amp/cab in the band I am in that is the challenge.First attempt I tried the k10 by itself, I was surprised how loud I was running it and was buried honestly. I believe that was more distortion and eq settings more than anything. I was using in mono with sum l-r. Recently tried another preset , diezel/Mesa rec and set output to stereo instead of sum l-r. I moved the volume to where I was running at rehearsal and thought, I will be asked to turn down. It was massively loud and sounded awsome!! Papaseango have you tried the fm3/qsc rig with band yet? What type music/tuning? 🪨!!!!!!! On brother

Very cool, seems affordable too which is nice. I reached out to Atomic and the rep said they should have CLR's back in stock in late August. Now I don't know what to do, I have 4 options that all seem good.

I've had both the Atomic CLR Neo MKII and the Xitone Active Wedge. Both are 12" coaxial speakers and both sound great. Some things to consider between the two: (1) CLR is $200 more expensive; (2) CLR warranty is 1 year; Xitone is 5 years; (3) CLR frequently is out of stock and apparently has supply problems -- it can take months to get a new CLR or to get an old one fixed; (4) Xitone customer service is superior IME; (5) Xitone build quality is super rugged (more so than the CLR), and is a bit more compact than the CLR; (5) the Xitone is bass heavy, but that's easy to correct by cutting some of the low frequencies in the global EQ settings of the Fractal and making further adjustments in your presets. Currently, my CLR is out for repair, but when I get it back I plan to compare the two and run them together in stereo. TBD / TBC :)

I've had both the Atomic CLR Neo MKII and the Xitone Active Wedge. Both are 12" coaxial speakers and both sound great. Some things to consider between the two: (1) CLR is $200 more expensive; (2) CLR warranty is 1 year; Xitone is 5 years; (3) CLR frequently is out of stock and apparently has supply problems -- it can take months to get a new CLR or to get an old one fixed; (4) Xitone customer service is superior IME; (5) Xitone build quality is super rugged (more so than the CLR), and is a bit more compact than the CLR; (5) the Xitone is bass heavy, but that's easy to correct by cutting some of the low frequencies in the global EQ settings of the Fractal and making further adjustments in your presets. Currently, my CLR is out for repair, but when I get it back I plan to compare the two and run them together in stereo. TBD / TBC :)
I agree on all points. It took forever for Atomic to respond to any of my emails regarding my order. I ended up cancelling and ordering a Xitone. It is such a great wedge for smaller venues. For larger, I use my Gemini II cab which is my #1 but a back breaker.

Very cool! I know the doesn't feel like an amp quote is redundant term. I love the feel I get with the frfrs and the axe3. Nothing I want any different. As far as matching a traditional amp/cab in the band I am in that is the challenge.First attempt I tried the k10 by itself, I was surprised how loud I was running it and was buried honestly. I believe that was more distortion and eq settings more than anything. I was using in mono with sum l-r. Recently tried another preset , diezel/Mesa rec and set output to stereo instead of sum l-r. I moved the volume to where I was running at rehearsal and thought, I will be asked to turn down. It was massively loud and sounded awsome!! Papaseango have you tried the fm3/qsc rig with band yet? What type music/tuning? 🪨!!!!!!! On brother
316ms, I actually have tried it a few times now at rehearsal volume. Once as the only guitar player and also along side my cousin in another jam situation. Both are cover band type projects playing straight up rock and hard rock with little blues and such mixed in (Everything from AC/DC and Sabbath to Pearl Jam, Kiss, Tragically Hip, to Metallica, Motley Crue and Poison)... Large variety of basic rock and hard rock stuff. I found frequencies less of an issue as a lone guitar player. When I jammed with my cousin, he was playing through his Fender Hotrod III with pedals, I found it best to almost match his tone a bit frequency wise and then just adjust to my taste. I good guitar sound in the mix usually means a more harsh, uninspiring tone when played alone, but it sounded great and everyone could hear me without being too loud. I'm very happy with the results an will only tweak it closer to sonic nirvana once I have the opportunity to play a bit more in a band setting (I live in Welland, Ontario, Canada, where we seem to be the last beacon of absolute fear and being over-cautious in North America lol)

Very cool, seems affordable too which is nice. I reached out to Atomic and the rep said they should have CLR's back in stock in late August. Now I don't know what to do, I have 4 options that all seem good.
At the end of the day, it's going to come down to your individual taste and ability to dial in what you like. I honestly am not an expert when it comes to tone shaping and routing, so it is great I have been able to find this solution work for me. Again, I can't stress how important finding the right IR's that work with what you are trying to achieve. I can take 2 different IR's and one can sound like a bassy blanket is over the whole tone while the other sound clear and full of rich tone.

316ms, I actually have tried it a few times now at rehearsal volume. Once as the only guitar player and also along side my cousin in another jam situation. Both are cover band type projects playing straight up rock and hard rock with little blues and such mixed in (Everything from AC/DC and Sabbath to Pearl Jam, Kiss, Tragically Hip, to Metallica, Motley Crue and Poison)... Large variety of basic rock and hard rock stuff. I found frequencies less of an issue as a lone guitar player. When I jammed with my cousin, he was playing through his Fender Hotrod III with pedals, I found it best to almost match his tone a bit frequency wise and then just adjust to my taste. I good guitar sound in the mix usually means a more harsh, uninspiring tone when played alone, but it sounded great and everyone could hear me without being too loud. I'm very happy with the results an will only tweak it closer to sonic nirvana once I have the opportunity to play a bit more in a band setting (I live in Welland, Ontario, Canada, where we seem to be the last beacon of absolute fear and being over-cautious in North America lol)
I know what you mean. The mids seemed scooped where I sit in the mix. Very smooth, I do not like harsh mids. I am starting to believe I will need a pa and cab unless jamming at home or in a recording studio or perhaps FOH only. Stage wise it's not getting it. Plenty of volume and power, maybe I eventually get the mids to react more authentically, currently a work in progress. Sounds awsome in studio monitors ,

Question about powered speakers. This is a first so maybe it's a dumb question, can you use 2 different powered speakers into output 1? One being more powerful wattage wise? I have not noticed any phasing or feedback of any kind. Running in stereo or L-R. Maybe this is OK or not ideal or in the ears of the user?

RCF 12". Gave a buddy my ASM-12 in trade for a set of golf clubs. It's a great cab, but the RCF is smaller and does not color the sound as much.

Question about powered speakers. This is a first so maybe it's a dumb question, can you use 2 different powered speakers into output 1? One being more powerful wattage wise? I have not noticed any phasing or feedback of any kind. Running in stereo or L-R. Maybe this is OK or not ideal or in the ears of the user?
You'll be running OUT from output 1, not IN... Just to be precise (hence why it's called Output 1 ;))

Should be fine but you'll need to set the levels on each to "match" volume.

Thank you for your answer and help. Yes out of output 1 , L and R out of output 1 into different makes of frfr. To be precise. Both are rated at different wattage, adjusting volumes to match or if one was backline and wanted it a touch louder is ok I guess? Seems like it would be? I love my axe3 mkii but I am about to forget the frfr and use cab and power amp. I know I will be sacrificing , it just seems easier to get a simple 3 channel amp set up with the levels and midrange I am use to. The studio monitor is the best at home use, I do not need tons of volume for that. The frfr is great until band volume is needed and it's just not aggresive enough, plenty loud , volume isn't the challenge. Either scooped or harsh mids. Just my opinion, I tried an atomic and to me they are all very similar, it depends on the settings of the axe and the fingers more than anything, the HR108 even does the job from that perspective. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!

Thank you for your answer and help. Yes out of output 1 , L and R out of output 1 into different makes of frfr. To be precise. Both are rated at different wattage, adjusting volumes to match or if one was backline and wanted it a touch louder is ok I guess? Seems like it would be? I love my axe3 mkii but I am about to forget the frfr and use cab and power amp. I know I will be sacrificing , it just seems easier to get a simple 3 channel amp set up with the levels and midrange I am use to. The studio monitor is the best at home use, I do not need tons of volume for that. The frfr is great until band volume is needed and it's just not aggresive enough, plenty loud , volume isn't the challenge. Either scooped or harsh mids. Just my opinion, I tried an atomic and to me they are all very similar, it depends on the settings of the axe and the fingers more than anything, the HR108 even does the job from that perspective. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!

Yes you can run each output1 channel into different Makes of FRFR, you can actually run four FRFRs from output1 using the XLR and TRS at the same time - that is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom