What amp model is closest to the Mesa Roadster

I know the clean channel of the Roadster is similar/same as the Lone Star circuit.. So perhaps USA Clean for that one.

Since getting my Fractal, I have used my Roadster less and have been using the Marshall, Matchless, and Highwatt models more than the Mesa models. I guess I figure if I want a Mesa tone, I'll play my Mesa with the Axe in the loop.

I know the clean channel of the Roadster is similar/same as the Lone Star circuit.. So perhaps USA Clean for that one.

We have the TX STAR CLEAN/LEAD (based on MESA Lone Star Classic) which should be closer than the USA clean, but op is after the other channels anyway.

@scottp try the recto 2 orange / red models and you'll be in the roadster chan3/4 ballpark.
The roadster has so many voicing choices, are you trying to match your own amp ?

We have the TX STAR CLEAN/LEAD (based on MESA Lone Star Classic) which should be closer than the USA clean, but op is after the other channels anyway.

@scottp try the recto 2 orange / red models and you'll be in the roadster chan3/4 ballpark.
The roadster has so many voicing choices, are you trying to match your own amp ?

My last amp rig was the Roadster head with TC Electronics Nova System.
That is now gone. But I really like the flexibility with 4 channels and effects in the loop.

My main rhythm tone came from channel 3 using the following settings, bold, modern + silicon diode + 100 watts, 6L6 tubes.
Channel 4 was more of the same basically for leads.

My last amp rig was the Roadster head with TC Electronics Nova System.
That is now gone. But I really like the flexibility with 4 channels and effects in the loop.

My main rhythm tone came from channel 3 using the following settings, bold, modern + silicon diode + 100 watts, 6L6 tubes.
Channel 4 was more of the same basically for leads.
Awesome, sounds like these might be a good place to start: RECTO2 ORG MDRN and RECTO2 RED MDRN if you're after a similar tone to what you had before.
A good MESA IR will help you to, if you go the FRFR route.

I use studio monitors at home and have transitioned to IEM at church.
I liked Celestion G12T-75 speakers in my old 4x12's
So I was thinking of starting with something close to that.

Is there an IR you recommend??

I use studio monitors at home and have transitioned to IEM at church.
I liked Celestion G12T-75 speakers in my old 4x12's
So I was thinking of starting with something close to that.

Is there an IR you recommend??

Try Celestion's own IRs ... not super expensive and you can listen to demo clips on their website. IIRC, 5 cab choices per speaker.

For high gain, experiment with the Recto models. Recto 1 Red and Recto 2 orange are my favorites.

Good song and vid!

EDIT: Erm, referring to your signature that is, don't want to derail the thread.

Good song and vid!

EDIT: Erm, referring to your signature that is, don't want to derail the thread.

Cheers! Funnily enough that song was all Dual Rectifier (an old Rev G) and I find the Recto 1 models to be spot on for it. I used a Roadster for a few other tracks, amazing amp.

Cheers! Funnily enough that song was all Dual Rectifier (an old Rev G) and I find the Recto 1 models to be spot on for it. I used a Roadster for a few other tracks, amazing amp.

Thanks for the tip, I'm not normally a Mesa guy but the sound you get in that video definitely has me gunning to try the Recto 1 models out now. Really smooth distortion!

Thanks for the tip, I'm not normally a Mesa guy but the sound you get in that video definitely has me gunning to try the Recto 1 models out now. Really smooth distortion!
A drive block (TS, FAS Boost, Super OD or similar) with drive set low and level cranked will help smooth the gain out and tighten the low end with the Rectos too.

The power of suggestion. Tried the Recto 2 Red Vint using FracTool. Now I'm stuck... in a good way. Cliff thanks for sharing your expertise so often.

fractal gods, did they change anything in the roadster/roadking circuit from the 3 channel recto circuit? Mesa mentioned their intent to get less buzzsaw realm and more back toward the tremoverb characteristics, but from bottom feeding these forums i've learned it's not as simple as changing the preamp disortion circuit, there could be things done at the input stage or in the power amp to affect response and equalization.

i am forever chasing the adolescent rage of 2001 era 3-channel dual rec tone as the pinnacle of what distorted guitar should sound like, but there is no better recorded guitar tone i've heard than the tremoverb + PRS Hollowbody on Incubus' Make Yourself. From what i understand they made the 3 channels brighter and increased the bass response of red/modern. then in the roadster/roadking they stepped back and tamed the high end a bit, and seemed to make a shift in the low end resonance. the roadster is missing the pronounced buzz from the 3-channel, but only at low volume, not sure if that's a distortion circuit difference or something else in the amp. i do know that if you crank the roadster on modern channel 4, the buzz is most definitely still there in the same capacity as a 3-channel, and the low end blooms in a deeper way than the 3-channel, like they lowered it from 110hz to 85hz, more sub-bass. but if you aren't pushing the power amp hard, both low and high end wilt away drastically to basically nothing in the roadster.

Back
Top Bottom