What am I doing wrong ?

Hawary

I upgraded from 3.01 to 8.01 a couple of days ago and as much as I love the high gain and drive sounds, I'm having a bit of trouble with my clean delayed sounds. First problem and biggest I'm having is that although I've had the same reference out of my headphones and my monitors (Bose QuietComfort 30 and Adams) I now find it hard link the two, they both sound pretty different and I have no idea why, and when I record its closer to the monitors than the headphones as well and here where it confuses me.

Second problem I'm having is with presets, my clean, to me sounds more digital now than how it was it was before and I can't get it to the way it sounded because I feel like the headphones are giving me false signals, and problem is I've built a lot of sounds based on that so now I'm kind of lost, and the gains are too sweet to downgrade again so I'm in need of help if you guys can, of what can I do to address these issues, knowing that I have tweaked as much as I can and haven't reached anything.

This first patch is from the old firmware, its Chimey echoes with a Euro Blue amp and a few minor tweaks

This second one is the new firmware, it sounds brittle to me and even more on the highs and no matter how much i tweak it either loses its power or it remains like that (more obvious in the second half of the riff)

Any suggestions ?

V3 to V8 is a pretty big jump.
Did you reset your amps?
In the release notes you can find what has changed.

Less mid and fuller sounding on V8..

Ain`t brittle imo, but try turning presence down, or 16 k down.

I cannot hear brittle on V8. The second sounds much better to me. I'm using monitors Yamaha HS80M, all switches on flat.
Try to reduce the highcut frequency in the advanced amp tap. I put it often between 7k and 8k, but mostly in high gain apms. On the cleans use it careful, may be, you loose some shiny overtones.

No doubt, 2 is better.

Note that (among other things) Presence has undergone a change between 3 and 8.

First off - I do like the 2nd clip better. The notes are more focused, defined, and have a nicer envelope to them. But - you didn't ask us which sounded better. You asked us why you couldn't get the 2nd clip to sound like the first clip.

Okay - I will bring this up because we don't need to go down the long road if it's the case. If you're editing the preset through Axe-Edit, you need to stop. It will not work. You must edit through the front panel. 8.01 has issues with AE that will make your life torturous if you try to use it, so don't even try.

If you want to make your preset sound more like the earlier one, I'd say shave off some of the lows in your EQ, bump the 500 and 1000 a bit, and shave off some highs as well. Turn your gain down, keep the MV higher, and go to town. You could also use a couple filters or PEQ to try to recreate that mildly telephonic effect.

Thanks for all your replies guys
I did reset my amps, the presence was always at zero, I tried fiddling with the dynamics and the EQ to get rid of this but it seemed like I was loosing more than I was gaining, I just didn't seem to be getting what I wanted, when I was upgrading to V8 I was mentally setting myself for something that's going to be different and that I was going to have to adjust, but to be honest I wasn't really happy with anything that I did, I'd finish tweaking, go rest my ears a while and when I come back I'd be really disappointed with the sound that I've created, what I noticed though is that the tracks to me sounded "smoother" when hearing them through my soundcard (I have no effects on it) to when I hear it through the Axe fx when using it as sound-card, so instinctively I tried to A/B between the two and tweak the global EQ, until I got something fairly ok'ish but it was no where near perfect.
Come new Firmware beta test and lets just say its 8 am and I haven't slept since yesterday, I understand that everything is up to taste but I really like this tone, its very rich and round to me, I absolutely love it, and not only that, but I'm also very happy with a few presets that I wouldn't touch before. let me know what do you guys think of this one.

The guy did'nt really ask what others preferred though.

If he is after a singing quality, the first one is obviously much better, with all its midrange. The second one has little midrange and goes "clank" when digging in. Shouldn't be a problem getting from one to the other though. Seems like he's found his way now, if I read that last post right... 8)

Back
Top Bottom