What’s your choice of Amp model(s) with best “feel under the fingers” ?

Not overly compressed, but IME, models are always bit more compressed. I compared maybe 20 different amps with models.
I had let´s say friedman be 100 with master volume barely open, then I loaded friedman model set the same way, with master volume to 0.25 or so and dialed to same volume with db meter.
Axe FX III models or from a different modeler?

love the tucana model. to me it feels like dumble meets IIc+. really unique and very versatile. also triptik modern is the one that caught me already while owning ax8.
I should revisit those models.
Something tells me they are made for super loud playing.
Yea, I have a real Tucana, and it's a 75 watt beast. Sounds good down low, but if you could point it upwards, you could hunt geese with the thing.

I like a hot bias on Marshalls and Fenders, but tend to bias the Mark amps cooler in the Axe FX, 45-50%. It could also be the volume or whatever power amp / monitors you are playing through
when doing comparisons, I´m using same real cab, power amp and volumes are leveled to same db´s, but it doesn´t really matter to me that much.
I can always decompress fractal model if needed (herbie 3 for example).
many times I prefer fractal model over real amp, so no problem at all.

Diezel Silver Or Blue, Channel 3.
Interesting, Diezel VH4 has been my main amp for years, but I´m not diggin´ models that much, pretty much same thing as with friedmans.
I am finding I like to play more compressed amps in real world, but when recorded, or played via monitors, I prefer amp models with more rawness.

The Dyna Cabs have opened up alot of amps I haven't considered before ( DZL )
, but the Friedman stuff has been a staple for me
I have yet to find Dyna cab, which will work for me in a high gain situation.
All fine for EOB or clean tones, but for anything heavy, I prefer my IR´s much more.
I have to revisit dyna cabs with smooth amps like CA Tucana or herbie 3.

Last edited:
Great thread, I'm in the process of tweaking my gigging presets and reading this prompted me to give the ODS Ford model a whirl....Oh My! What a beast of an amp - it has a real thump to it. I've never really got to grips with dialling in amps with gain and overdrive controls (like the Corncob I think) but with the ODS Ford at stock settings and a little of the Klon model in front (gain on 1) it had me grinning from ear to ear - very responsive to volume adjustments on the guitar too. Threw in a mid boost on the input boost, a splash of delay and a touch of wah as a filter and it was giving me a lead tone to die for.

Wondering what other folks love.
Not talking about sound, as I found that I can make many amp models sound amazing.
my no.1 choice is easily Cameron CCV 2C, as it has been last 6 years or so :)
What amp model feels the best to you and you come always back to it ?
from clean all the way up to high gain nirvana.
1959 SLP jumped, cab 4 x 12 1960 B V30 (RW) , tubes E34MULL. brilliant.

Guitar....

The SVT can get very 70s-Stones-ish.

The Porta-Bass is great for bluesy/jazzy/r&r stuff....
Fascinating!
I would never have thought of doing that.
I just use them for bass, I am a 50% bass, 50% guitar hybrid creature, haha.
Or if you wish to be like Spinal Tap about the festival on the Isle of Lucy, I am 50% guitar, 50% bass.

Then out of the dim recesses of memory...
Was it not the case the Stones were touring the U.S. and they plugged in their normal Fenders.
These were rated for the UK power supply, they literally fried them, and they ended up using Ampegs that were given to them as a replacement. [Yay! Free stuff!]

Is that right?

Fascinating!
I would never have thought of doing that.
I just use them for bass, I am a 50% bass, 50% guitar hybrid creature, haha.
Or if you wish to be like Spinal Tap about the festival on the Isle of Lucy, I am 50% guitar, 50% bass.

Then out of the dim recesses of memory...
Was it not the case the Stones were touring the U.S. and they plugged in their normal Fenders.
These were rated for the UK power supply, they literally fried them, and they ended up using Ampegs that were given to them as a replacement. [Yay! Free stuff!]

Is that right?

This cannot be done in this form.. In England, the mains voltage was 220.If I use this with 110 volts. It can't burn.Sorry!

Last edited:
Been having a lot of fun with the Solo Lead model and the Soldano 4x12 Dyna Cab of late. Sounds incredibly lifelike. I think this amp definitely benefits from a boost in front if you're trying to get into modern metal territory, but you can also dial it back for some incredible rock n'roll crunch.

for a good rock tone, the Atomica Hi caught my attention first because i saw steve steven's rebel patch and started playing w it. then i found the friedmans. im using a combo of 2 (2010 & BE v2). still tweaking but really enjoying. been using them w a couple 4x12 fractal cabs (gb & v30).

cleans i havent explored too much yet. one of moke's presets turned me onto i think the ac20. using bassmans too.

id like to ask how you guys audition amps when cabs can make such a huge difference.

IIC++ for low/med/high gain and Shiver Clean for, cleans. I've been using this combo forever. I've tried others, always come back to these.

id like to ask how you guys audition amps when cabs can make such a huge difference.

Good question. I’m only using 2 or 3 IR’s and cabs are a huge part of the sound. So the amps I’m using sound similar as a consequence. I just try amps with those IR’s and they either work for me or they don’t. I do dabble with other combinations including DC but wind up playing my regular presets most of the time since they get me the sounds that live in my head.

I’m probably missing out on some great amps because of this. So I’ll start trying new amps with the Dynacab which I’m still not 100% onboard with. Like the Fender amps. Probably more Fendery with Fender type speakers.

Back
Top Bottom