What’s cooking in Fractal’s kitchen?

Another thing they could be doing is, since it seems like an overwhelming number of people say they prefer the sound
of Legacy cabs, maybe they went back to the drawing board on the Dyna cabs.

who knows - maybe they've ditched the public beta methodology going with testing by selected beta testers. Can't say I'd blame them given the tangents some past beta threads have taken.

seems like an overwhelming number of people say they prefer the sound
of Legacy cab
pretty underwhelming number (0 imo) seem able to pinpoint a very specific reason why they have that general preference though. (tough to do when there's not really any way to do an apples to apples comparison between DC and Leg/3rd pty IR creation processes).

Last edited:
Another thing they could be doing is, since it seems like an overwhelming number of people say they prefer the sound

I think this is genre specific, tho. Only the metal guys seem to be complaining. I could see maybe adding off axis mics but not a full redo, they sound great for most applications.

Roland / Boss employees have not been active in the forums for 18,793 days (51 years, 5 months and 13 days since the company was founded on 18 April 1972). I guess they must be cooking something grandiose!!!

Day Eating GIF

Panic Npc GIF by zoefannet

Could be, maybe they've found a way to make Dyna Cabs ultra res and need to re-shoot the entire collection? Maybe a way to export a DC mix to a regular IR on the unit to save CPU?

I noticed that there have been no comments or posts from Fractal employees here in the forum over the past few weeks. Does this have a meaning?
Wrong...

Cliff last posted on Sunday. Matt has made numerous posts (15+) during the last week. There are a number of other Fractal staff but didn't search for their names. Often those folks only post regarding updates/bugs or in the beta forums.

who knows - maybe they've ditched the public beta methodology going with testing by selected beta testers. Can't say I'd blame them given the tangents some past beta threads have taken.

This is all total conjecture:

I thought about this, not necessarily because of tangents, though it could be part of it. The biggest clue to me was that Matt was recruiting more beta testers not long ago. I think that was the public declaration they're eschewing public betas in favor of private ones.

My guess is in some of Cliff's posts to beta threads, that no matter how hard he works on improvements, that he viewed many responses as deeply unappreciative and entitled, that he ends up feeling like his efforts are never enough, and that it takes the joy out of it. And then there are outright disrespectful posts too.

I think he read some of it in the most negative way possible, totally different from how the posts hit me, but I also understand him doing what he loves and is great at, only to feel like a bunch of people have no appreciation at the end of the day, and I always get the impression that he'll focus on the things that hit him the most negatively rather than the positive comments; my wife does the same thing. To that end, posting verbose appreciation was denigrated by some user, and to my surprise, Cliff was in favor of replacing thanks with the like button only; that led to even fewer positive comments.

The beta threads had a lot of activity and passion and life to them, and I thought that was awesome, but they also had a lot of noise to signal ratio, and many responses bothered Cliff deeply, so I think the privatization of all beta, if that's what's happened, is an unfortunate consequence of this. I felt this coming, but I hoped it wouldn't.

This is also during the period where Cliff stopped posting as frequently in this forum and others, as well as social media in general, to protect his mental health, so why expose the thing you love doing so much that supports your family and puts you in the highest echelon of your profession to needless negativity?

To me the pieces all fit.

Anyway, like I said, this is all total conjecture; I could be wrong about any or all of it. It's just struck me this way intuitively, and I felt that it was going to happen.

Last edited:
This is all total conjecture:

I thought about this, not necessarily because of tangents, though it could be part of it. The biggest clue to me was that Matt was recruiting more beta testers not long ago. I think that was the public declaration they're eschewing public betas in favor of private ones.

My guess is in some of Cliff's posts to beta threads, that no matter how hard he works on improvements, that he viewed many responses as deeply unappreciative and entitled, that he ends up feeling like his efforts are never enough, and that it takes the joy out of it. And then there are outright disrespectful posts too.

I think he read some of it in the most negative way possible, totally different from how the posts hit me, but I also understand him doing what he loves and is great at, only to feel like a bunch of people have no appreciation at the end of the day, and I always get the impression that he'll focus on the things that hit him the most negatively rather than the positive comments; my wife does the same thing. To that end, posting verbose appreciation was denigrated by some user, and to my surprise, Cliff was in favor of replacing thanks with the like button only; that led to even fewer positive comments.

The beta threads had a lot of activity and passion and life to them, and I thought that was awesome, but they also had a lot of noise to signal ratio, and many responses bothered Cliff deeply, so I think the privatization of all beta, if that's what's happened, is an unfortunate consequence of this. I felt this coming, but I hoped it wouldn't.

This is also during the period where Cliff stopped posting as frequently in this forum and others, as well as social media in general, to protect his mental health, so why expose the thing you love doing so much that supports your family and puts you in the highest echelon of your profession to needless negativity?

To me the pieces all fit.

Anyway, like I said, this is all total conjecture; I could be wrong about any or all of it. It's just struck me this way intuitively, and I felt that it was going to happen.
it crossed my mind mostly from an efficiency standpoint - ime beta threads exist to flush out issues and get feedback (specific or general / good or bad, but related) from users before a wider release - so if bata threads take off into only endless repeating thankyou thankyou thankyou posts, and sometimes posts that discourage even slightly critical yet focused remarks, then, in my project management days at least, I might be thinking about a narrower, more focused / manageable private beta test group. Would be a bit dissappointong to me though since I've enjoyed participating in the betas - we'll see.

Last edited:
I think this is genre specific, tho. Only the metal guys seem to be complaining. I could see maybe adding off axis mics but not a full redo, they sound great for most applications.
Metal guy here. Dyna Cabs kick the crap out of Legacy IRs imo.

If you think about it, feedback almost invariably biases toward the negative. Those of us who are happy with the product are busy enjoying it.

so if bata threads take off into only endless repeating thankyou thankyou thankyou posts

😍😍😍thank you thank you thank you 😱 This beta update saved my life. Btw, can you plz add a ADA MP-1? I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a big deal in my tone.

MP-1 please?

I cannot afford MP-1 as all monies went to Axe Fx. I need MP-1 or else.

MP-1?

Back
Top Bottom