Whammy

Warmia

Can anybody help me with it? What I want to achieve is the effect like on Boss ps5. When I "unbypas" it it bends slowly the signal by 2 octaves down and when bypassed then it's going straight away back to 0. I figured out most of it but it still bending the signal even if the effect is bypassed. So the signal is coming in to the effect all the time but it shouldn't. I've tried envelope, adsr and nothing work. Maybe ultra simply can't do it? Please help if you know how.

If you assign an External to pitch control and increase damping, the dive can have up to 1 second duration. Or you can use Sequencer or LFO (trapezoid) to get a slower dive that holds for a dozen seconds or more (16 or 20 seconds total to work with), but it will eventually return to 0 and repeat the dive. Assign the external to the LFO/Seq run control.

I don't know if there's any way to make a 1+ sec ramp that holds indefinitely. I've tried to make that happen with LFO1/LFO2/Seq and a bunch of modifiers. No luck so far but I'm not certain it's impossible either.

I've done it but it always bends no matter if effects on or off. If I want to turn it on it's already in "the phase" so it doesn't start from beginning.
I'm using midimate btw. I think I've tried everything still doesn't work as I want. I thought about the other way which is let switch the signal befor effect (A/B or Y whatever you call it) and plce the effect( pitch) in another row. That would work but there's no effect AB type?? Or there is one??

What do you have selected as the source for the pitch control knob? What I meant with the first example is choosing one of the 8 Externals as source for both pitch control and bypass. Then adjust the Midimate button CC# (or I/O: CTRL settings) so the button matches that External's CC#, not Pitch 1 Bypass. You'd end up with settings like this: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2005/autodive.jpg Note the damping = 1000 ms for the control modifier to get the slowest dive.

The LFO/seq method would involve assigning an LFO/Seq to pitch control, assigning External to the LFO/Seq run control, then adjusting LFO/seq settings to produce the dive when run.

Ok. I follow your instructions. Still nothing. Axe fx can't do it. It's not what I'm talking about at all. Sound shit and completly out of control. Simply SHIT!
have to use cheap Behringer for this effect only which does the job quick and easy with 2 seconds to adjust (up or down, 1 or 2 octave, fast or slow)
Thanx very much for your effort Bakerman, anyway.

I just want to make sure I understand what you want:

Step on a switch and the pitch block engages, automatically starting to descend until it reaches some value. Step on switch again and it bypasses the pitch block and resets it to no-shift, ready to be stepped on again.

If that's what you want, I couldn't make it happen. But I can get you close.

I assigned a single CC button to both the bypass of the block and the control parameter that controls the shift value and, by setting the damping on control parameter change very high, got close. Where it fails is when I put it back in to the bypass state the reset doesn't happen instanteously. The damping required to make the pitch change less-than-instantaneously when the effect was engaged also meant that the return-to-zero time was damped. As long as you don't need use this effect again quickly, this might be an okay approach.

I'm attaching an effect block that you can use with Axe-Edit to try this out. Just drop the attached sysex file in to your Workspace/Axe-Edit/Effects folder, start Axe-Edit and you can now create a Pitch block in the grid with my settings. Just right click on any block in the matrix and select Block -> Recall Block -> Pitch -> Auto Dive 2 Octave to create an instance of it in a patch. I have the Bypass and Control parameters in the block both assigned to Extern 2. You'll need to adjust that to match with your controller. Play with the Damping value on the controller for the Control parameter to get the dive speed you want.

Here's the effects block: http://bit.ly/A5pIy8

Yes it's something like that but:
It doesn't dive 'smoothly' - sounds rubbish.
- it's only 1sec long. I'd like at least 3 seconds. Or longer up to five...
I have already been guided by bakerman above to achieve it. Final effect is exactly the same:(
Is there any way to get longer dive?

Ps. Thanks for you effort I appreciate it!!!

Yes it's something like that but:
It doesn't dive 'smoothly' - sounds rubbish.
- it's only 1sec long. I'd like at least 3 seconds. Or longer up to five...
I have already been guided by bakerman above to achieve it. Final effect is exactly the same:(
Is there any way to get longer dive?

Ps. Thanks for you effort I appreciate it!!!
It dives smoothly for me. I'll record a clip.

Edit. Clip here: http://bit.ly/x1UgEI -- that's 500 ms of damping. Sounds fine at 1000 msecs too.

And here's the entire patch: http://bit.ly/A5loo7

Damping max value is 1000 msec, so a 1 second dive is the best you're going to get with this approach. Have you considered using an expression pedal and just doing it the old fashioned way?

Last edited:
I just connected my old Behringer us600 and it sounds absolutely in every bit better than pitch from axe fx. No words. Axe fx sounds like, I don't know, glass or metallic sound, like you put a cab into the bath full of razors. Shit sound of pitch effect it is indeed. It's not even about dive which has no "flow". It's the sound of the effect itself.

The end.

I just connected my old Behringer us600 and it sounds absolutely in every bit better than pitch from axe fx. No words. Axe fx sounds like, I don't know, glass or metallic sound, like you put a cab into the bath full of razors. Shit sound of pitch effect it is indeed. It's not even about dive which has no "flow". It's the sound of the effect itself.

The end.
Post a patch of what you're working with on the Axe-Fx. And then post a clip of the US600 for reference.

I've got an Internet issue since I moved house. Still has no broadband. All I have I my iPhone ;(
Anyway I'm using EURO UBER with recto cabs 1&2. I use 7 stringer tuned to dropped A. I play industrial metal and the effect we are talking about was one of my main effects next to whawha. I loved it as on the stage in bigger clubs it cut through clearly and made people feel that their lungs were shacking from low freq. ;)
I don't want to use traditional exp pedal as it's not important to control the dive. I want to step on the button and sound will bend slowly ( while I'm still playing) down by 2 octaves (3-5sec damping) when I step on the button again it will bypass the effect and make it ready to use again.
It's sounds very cool and simple. I don't use it for high notes but for the lowest on the A string.
Can Axe Fx ULTRA do it?

The "automatic dive" was something I had programmed on my Gordius Little Giant MIDI controller. It allowed for very long dive/rise times. But that was controller-specific and not an Axe feature.
Damping in the Axe-Fx (both Gen1 and Gen2) is limited to 1 sec.
I don't see how internal controllers can accomplish what you want but I'm not an expert in that area.

Something like this? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/slowerdive.mp3 That's a slow trapezoid LFO (1B) on pitch with duty & B phase set to make it begin at 100% and drop, run triggered by the External. It will eventually restart if you keep the IA on but you have about 12-14 seconds before that happens. As in the clip it can be stopped & immediately restarted at normal pitch with no wait time.

Last edited:
I've got an Internet issue since I moved house. Still has no broadband. All I have I my iPhone ;(
Anyway I'm using EURO UBER with recto cabs 1&2. I use 7 stringer tuned to dropped A. I play industrial metal and the effect we are talking about was one of my main effects next to whawha. I loved it as on the stage in bigger clubs it cut through clearly and made people feel that their lungs were shacking from low freq. ;)
I don't want to use traditional exp pedal as it's not important to control the dive. I want to step on the button and sound will bend slowly ( while I'm still playing) down by 2 octaves (3-5sec damping) when I step on the button again it will bypass the effect and make it ready to use again.
It's sounds very cool and simple. I don't use it for high notes but for the lowest on the A string.
Can Axe Fx ULTRA do it?
Dropped A and you're trying to drop that two octaves? That's low.

I don't think you'll be able to get away with that with *just* a pitch block. You might also need to put a multi-band compressor right before the pitch block, that engages along with the pitch block, to get it to sound good. I suspect that Behringer circuit has some simple compression happening it to help make up gain as the pitch is dropping but the input signal is fading.

I don't have a dropped-A capable guitar so I can't really help you with the super low tuning. But here's how you can tune it: set up a pitch block with a fixed 2 octave down value. Setup that compressor block. Now engage both. Fiddle with knobs until you've got a steady, 2 octave down, tone happening that you like. A filter block with a low pass cut off might also be required. Once you've got it tuned at the lowest point, then try to figure out how to make it dive in a manner that you like.

Reactions: yek
Dropped A and you're trying to drop that two octaves? That's low.

I don't think you'll be able to get away with that with *just* a pitch block. You might also need to put a multi-band compressor right before the pitch block, that engages along with the pitch block, to get it to sound good. I suspect that Behringer circuit has some simple compression happening it to help make up gain as the pitch is dropping but the input signal is fading.

I don't have a dropped-A capable guitar so I can't really help you with the super low tuning. But here's how you can tune it: set up a pitch block with a fixed 2 octave down value. Setup that compressor block. Now engage both. Fiddle with knobs until you've got a steady, 2 octave down, tone happening that you like. A filter block with a low pass cut off might also be required. Once you've got it tuned at the lowest point, then try to figure out how to make it dive in a manner that you like.

Sounds interesting. I'll try it too.

dear god now it's fucking smashing!!!! im so exited! sounds better then I expected!!! I didn't try it with Multi-band comp though but I will.

thanx guys for your help and patience !!

Back
Top Bottom